Keep them needing you more than you need them

I am finding that the older and more cantankerous I get the less tolerance i have for bs.

I quit one company that thought i needed them more than they needed me and they soon realized otherwise and it was too late to get me back by then.

I went to work for a company that needed me yesterday. Just a hot body with a license. Somehow through politcs I ended up as a probationary evaluationing pilot from originally being hired as a relief captain without ever having given them reason to do so like a safety violation or accident.

They got crewed up on their standby roster and i became a dime o dozen in a matter of two months.

I quit them to go to work for another company that needed me more than i needed them.

At first when they were short handed they didn’t sweat the load. After they had 4 or 5 guys standing in line for my job they became a little more difficult to deal with.

So now I am off to a mom and pop company where the owner runs the boat and I deal with him directly. No more middle man.

We will see how this works out.

This is why I stay a trip pilot. Why put all your eggs in one basket?

I have back up trades too. I can dust off the commercial diving gear if i have to or get my topside welding gear out.

I can jump in a big truck and take a break from living with other men for awhile.

I can build houses, run a landscaping and plow service.

Many options but the “golden handcuffs” keep me coming back.

If I don’t get a trip call for a few weeks i will get in a truck or get something else going and no sooner than i get comfortable someone will call me up with a very lucrative job offer and i have no choice but to take it.

That is the way it works.

Point of the story being anytime a company has ever needed me yesterday i have made out like a bandit on pay and travel, ect, ect.

any time a company has more wheelmen than they can use they start treating you like a second hand citizen and then you are only as good as you last poor performance.

[QUOTE=OICUR12;39432]I am finding that the older and more cantankerous I get the less tolerance i have for bs. [/QUOTE]

can relate to that…just turned 60 y/o…now have my “curmudgeon unlimited”…have resolved to no longer suffer fools…now just need to figure out how to ignore that 90% of the population!!

Good to hear I’m not the only one whose “B.S. High Level Alarm” has a low set point…(and I’m only 54!!)