Jones Act Hatchet Job

[QUOTE=seadog6608;131931]C Captain, I disagree with you . You said plenty of Conservatives oppose the Jones act, then you go naming two anti Conservatives.[/QUOTE]

I personally wouldn’t say [I]only[/I] conservatives are against the Jones Act, but historically they have been at the forefront, and their anti-regulation, pro-business, anti-union stances tend to be for allowing business more freedom from this type of “government interference”. The Jones Act is interesting for them because it butts right up to the pro-American protectionist/strong national defense attitudes that can be echoed by many of their constituents, as well as those companies that directly benefit from it. The BP spill though brought all the opportunist conservatives forward; feigning hysteria over Obama (despite hardly any waivers being denied and a gluttony of US vessels available) while paying homage to their own anti-Jones Act interests which they held all along.

http://blog.heritage.org/tag/jones-act/
http://www.nationalreview.com/articles/341845/sink-jones-act-eftychis-john-gregos-mourginakis
http://seattletimes.com/html/nationworld/2012259755_oiljones02.html

S.3525 - Open America’s Waters Act

[QUOTE=seadog6608;131931]C Captain, I disagree with you . You said plenty of Conservatives oppose the Jones act, then you go naming two anti Conservatives.[/QUOTE]

It was a Republican led NJ Administration which was howling the loudest here. I don’t think the two Democrat senators really were behind the hysteria but being political whores felt they needed to join in asking for the waivers. They certainly climbed down once the waivers were denied and the salt delivered by US Jones coastwise qualified vessel.

Republicans are pro big business as a whole even if it is against maritime business interests. They hate every form of regulation which costs their supporters money such as Con-Agra (Grassley). I have never known why McCain has such a hard-on for the Jones Act because being the ex Navy man he is and so pro defense, you’d think he would appreciate the critical need to have a healthy merchant marine to support our troops? Who is the big business interest which makes McCain disdain us so much?

[QUOTE=wafinator;131934]I personally wouldn’t say [I]only[/I] conservatives are against the Jones Act, but historically they have been at the forefront, and their anti-regulation, pro-business, anti-union stances tend to be for allowing business more freedom from this type of “government interference”. The Jones Act is interesting for them because it butts right up to the pro-American protectionist/strong national defense attitudes that can be echoed by many of their constituents, as well as those companies that directly benefit from it. The BP spill though brought all the opportunist conservatives forward; feigning hysteria over Obama (despite hardly any waivers being denied and a gluttony of US vessels available) while paying homage to their own anti-Jones Act interests which they held all along.

http://blog.heritage.org/tag/jones-act/
http://www.nationalreview.com/articles/341845/sink-jones-act-eftychis-john-gregos-mourginakis
http://seattletimes.com/html/nationworld/2012259755_oiljones02.html

S.3525 - Open America’s Waters Act[/QUOTE]

wafinator - I followed this story very closely during the spill. Maybe you remember it started out with one businessman is Houston (?) and he had a photo of what he claimed was an oil recovery boat but oddly the photo was from about a mile away. Then Fox News picked it up and started hammering on it. Then the story appeared in the Science Christian Monitor (main stream paper in spite of the name) Then all the news outlets started reported it based on SCM.

[QUOTE=Bayrunner;131928]If you think NPR are right leaning then I bet you think Marx and Lenin were middle of the road type of guys.

And someone else brought up McCain, most republicans outside of the party establishment no longer claim him.[/QUOTE]

Marxism–Leninism has been completely discredited.

Left and right is too much of a over simplification imo. Read “The True Believer”

NPR is careful not to offend the powers that be, I don’t listen to it.

Federal law blocking cheap Texas fuel from reaching frozen East Coast

Sen. Wesley Jones (R-WA). Of all people, a washington state republican introduced “The Jones Act”!

[QUOTE=sailorman1981;131951]Sen. Wesley Jones (R-WA). Of all people, a washington state republican introduced “The Jones Act”![/QUOTE]

back in those days being a Republican or Democrat did not involve such a wide chasm of ideologies that it does today. You’d think it would be reversed where the Reps want laws to protect American business interests and the Dems would be the free traders but today nothing makes any sense in Washingtoon (DC that is!)

[QUOTE=Kennebec Captain;131950]Federal law blocking cheap Texas fuel from reaching frozen East Coast[/QUOTE]

Last year the environmentalists fought off an effort by an American company to build a new East Coast propane terminal at Searsport, Maine. The terminal would have been supplied by American flag Jones Act ships carrying propane from the Gulf, and would have distributed propane by truck and rail throughout the Northeast. The same environmentalists are now trying to block much needed dredging for the oil tankers and cargo ships that already serve Searsport

Forget scapegoating the Jones Act. When will we say enough, and change these environmental laws so that they cannot be misused by NIMBY environmental activists to block, delay, or needlessly run up the cost, of all our necessary infrastructure?

The point I was trying to make was that there is a HUGE difference between Conservatives and republicans. that’s why I’ve been an independent all my life.

[quote=tugsailor;131955]last year the environmentalists fought off an effort by an american company to build a new east coast propane terminal at searsport, maine. The terminal would have been supplied by american flag jones act ships carrying propane from the gulf, and would have distributed propane by truck and rail throughout the northeast. The same environmentalists are now trying to block much needed dredging for the oil tankers and cargo ships that already serve searsport

forget scapegoating the jones act. When will we say enough, and change these environmental laws so that they cannot be misused by nimby environmental activists to block, delay, or needlessly run up the cost, of all our necessary infrastructure?[/quote]

A-F***ING-MEN to that, brother.