Jones Act and the fall out of the Corona virus

Neither US or any other nation on earth is totally self-sufficient in everything. Everybody need access to raw materials and products from other countries to maintain a healthy manufacturing base-

Besides, an external market for some of the goods, commodities and raw material produced have to be available to pay for some of the import.

Shipping of import and export between countries need to be free from restrictions as far as possible, otherwise we end up back in a time nobody in their right mind want to see again.

Neither China, EU or UN is going to go away because some people in some countries would like to go backwards to their glory days.

Globalization is here to stay. You better make the best of it by adopting trading practices that take advantage of the possibilities it brings.

sigh…

Yes indeed. What more can anybody say about such backwardness.

1 Like

I agree. While I realize that Isolationism is impossible in today’s intertwined world economy, self national protectionism, however, is not only necessary, it is prudent.

A perfect example is President Trumps ( I support him on most things ) thoughts on giving Tax dollars to Cruise ship Owners and operators.

He hasn’t grasped yet that these vessels are foreign flagged to avoid the Rules, regs and taxes of the American Govt. that they now seek American Tax Dollars from.

We can not allow companies to take our jobs and our Hard earned tax dollars.

4 Likes

Not only is isolationism impossible no one would want if it wasn’t. Variety is the spice of life & I don’t want to only buy American all the time. Nations being somewhat self sufficient in times of crisis helps their citizens & global economy. It’s only the nutty left wing fringes & globalists who wants the US to be completely dependent on other countries all the time. I honestly believe those extremists would be tickled pink if the US didn’t produce any medical supplies at all & we all withered up & died. Any American who suggests that we be able to take care of ourselves in a times of crisis will be called isolationists & backwards just like the few globalists have done on this thread. I don’t pay them any attention. Their agenda is different than most Americans.

1 Like

Not so sure…I am afraid that most Americans have gotten used to the dirt cheap, disposable, convenience that the likes of Amazon, Walmart, Dollar General… Hell, pretty much EVERY store that’s widely available offers.

It’s gonna take an event that directly negatively impacts a huge number of people to change that drug addict like behavior that has infected our daily life. China cutting off the supply of pharmaceutical supplies resulting in millions of deaths would probably be such an event.

Even then the media’s take would be that it was Trump’s fault…

Let’s leave out fault and just say that it’s imprudent to deliberately annoy China by doubling down on “Chinese Virus” just now. Even if it weren’t on the face of it unhelpful, most pedestrians learn not to be “dead right”.

4 Likes

I’m not overly concerned about annoying China or hurting their tender feelings, a country that’s been ripping us off in every way possible. None of this would be happening if they hadn’t lied, silenced people and done everything they could to cover this up in the early stages. This virus originated in a wet market in Wuhan, China. It’s not as if diseases don’t have a history of being named after their point of origin.

West Nile Virus: Named after the West Nile District of Uganda discovered in 1937.
Guinea Worm: Named by European explorers for the Guinea coast of West Africa in the 1600s.
Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever: Named after the mountain range spreading across western North America first recognized first in 1896 in Idaho.
Lyme Disease: Named after a large outbreak of the disease occurred in Lyme and Old Lyme, Connecticut in the 1970s.
Ross River Fever: Named after a mosquito found to cause the disease in the Ross River of Queensland, Australia by the 1960s. The first major outbreak occurred in 1928.
Omsk Hemorrhagic Fever: Named after its 1940s discovery in Omsk, Russia.
Ebola Hemorrhagic Fever: Named in 1976 for the Ebola River in Zaire located in central Africa.
Middle East Respiratory Syndrome (MERS): Camel flu: MERS was first reported in Saudi Arabia in 2012 and all cases are linked to those who traveled to the Middle Eastern peninsula.
Valley Fever: Valley Fever earned its nickname from a 1930s outbreak San Joaquin Valley of California, though its first case came from Argentina.
Marburg Virus Disease: Named after Marburg, Germany in 1967.
Norovirus: Named after Norwalk, Ohio after an outbreak in 1968.
Zika Fever: First discovered in 1947 and named after the Zika Forest in Uganda.
Japanese Encephalitis: Named after its first case in Japan in 1871.
German Measles: Named after the German doctors who first described it in the 18th century. The disease is also sometimes referred to as “Rubella.”
Spanish Flu: While the true origins of the Spanish Flu remain unknown, the disease earned its name after Spain began to report deaths from the flu in its newspapers.
Lassa Fever: Named after the being found in Lassa, Nigeria in 1969.
Legionnaires Disease: Named in 1976 following an outbreak of people contracting the lung infection after attending an American Legion convention in Philadelphia.

7 Likes

That’s the go-to move for authoritarian governments, first instinct is not to control the problem but to control information about the problem.

What was imprudent was to allow ourselves to become dependant on a nation with polar opposite values and an anti-American agenda for vital goods and services. Perhaps this crisis will bring that fact to greater light and our elected officials will act accordingly.

8 Likes

Good thing that could never happen here … oh, wait, it has happened every day for the past 3 years!

It used to be funny but now it’s literally lethal.

2 Likes

I really love the fact that President Trump lives rent free in your head.

3 Likes

I agree. And we have the same thing in our own government. Senator Burr, who in public marched in lock step with POTUS45, downplaying the seriousness of COVID, and in private, where he could make a buck off it, told the truth to his cronies.

As for POTUS45 having a reverence for geographical precedence in the naming of infectious fevers: :rofl:

He calls it “Chinese” because the quickest way to distract attention from himself is to create a villain. And because he knows some of his detractors will reflexively take offense, and the furor will further distract blame from himself.

2 Likes

I harbor no illusions that Trump has any reverence for anything other than his own gigantic ego and yeah, his intentions were obvious by the context and his tone. Still, when it comes to China I have no problem with anyone else referring to the cause of the pandemic as the Wuhan Virus even if it upsets the pc police.

5 Likes

Yes, a fight with the “pc police” resonates with Trump’s supporters, energizes them and enrages his critics. It’s a deliberate tactic, governing by crisis and spectacle.

3 Likes

Love my Toyota Highlander, built in the good ole USA. My Ford truck is quite alright too, with Canadian parts…Toyota is running great . Ford needs a bit of “Mentoring”. Is that distracting?

The term “politically correct” is a nebulous term. At this point in time with a pandemic being politically correct is meaningless. What is needed is a coordinated national action to slow this thing down. If you or a family member is dying because your lungs are filling with fluid calling the illness that is killing them the CHINESE or WUHAN disease will not help them one iota.

1 Like

Couldn’t agree more. Incidentally for those who may not know, the 1918 flu pandemic was called the Spanish flu because Spain was the first country to report on it openly in their newspapers. It actually originated in the US. So we can find ourselves dangerously sidetracked by blaming and finger pointing. I am getting terrified by what I am reading (not the media, but sites like Allnurses where RN’s are discussing what they are dealing with). If you read what the doctors and nurses are saying, you won’t be able to sleep.

1 Like

Where did you read that it started in the US?

2 Likes