Jones Act and the fall out of the Corona virus

I agree that it won’t upset the PC police, what would be the point of that anyway? As far as being racist I’d say instead that the wording is likely intended both to defect blame and to resonate with people with certain biases.

1 Like

Now for more strategy think - The US can only get away with massive trade deficits as long as the US dollar is the reserve currency. 2020 Federal budget deficit is going to end up anywhere between 6 to 8 trillion dollars. That should bring the total US debt to around $30 trillion Now since those deficits were printed out of thin air, whats to stop a certain country from declaring (like the French did in the 70’s) , I’m not sure using this funny money is any good as the worlds currency. How about using mine instead?
Oh and by the way, I’ve got the most high tech industries, world’s most steel mills, refineries, PHD’s, car manufacturing plants, all the other manufacturing plants and just for yukes we make all the worlds precursor drugs you need to survive. We’ve got enough nukes to matter and have a Navy that’s getting bigger by the day. Our biggest rival owes us a bunch of money too.
Game, set, match.

How’s that globalization working for ya?

1 Like

I vote for who I think is right for me, and do cross parties from time to time.,as a lot of Americans do. For what it’s worth, I will always bet on USA to be the winner at the end of the day. We will be challenged for sure, and rightfully so, my support is not for China, nor any country that takes advantage of us. We need them as much as they need us.

China has no wish to challenger America for world leadership, or for the Yuan to become to become the world’s preferred reserve currency alone-
They have repeatedly stated that they would like to see three or more currencies being used for trade and as reserve currencies.

As for challenging the US militarily? No way are they dumb enough to fall into that trap.
They want to ensure they have enough military power to protect themselves from any adventurous action towards their trading routs and trading interests, or any.foreign treat to their territory. (Incl. HK and Taiwan)

If you want to spend 5-6% or more of your GDP to maintain hegemony in the world, China have no objections to that as long as you buy Chinese goods and leave China’s access to raw materials alone.

I agree the Chinese won’t overtly challenge the US (forgetting of course running into a P-3 Orion for yucks). They won’t have to. America and Europe are getting weaker daily because democracies can’t deal with COVID-19 like China could. We might be in a depression now. And if COVID strikes the Mid-East, Africa and Central/South America watch what happens if another even large round of mass migrations occur. They ain’t heading to China.

Unless COVID is contained soon, America will be forced to pull troops from overseas simply because we can’t afford it. American’s will call for food supplies and medical care not a $700 billion dollar defense budget with posts in all over. History repeats itself - I’m afraid that America could well could be following the model of another empire - Great Britain. China just has to play the long game.

Let’s hope the Chinese are benevolent.

1 Like

And we should believe them because they always tell the truth :rofl:

Regardless of the rest of your email, I take exception with this one sentence.The British Empire ceased being an empire simply because the colonies the empire was based on stopped wanting to be colonies. This began in 1776. The next big hit was India in 1947, and nearly all the rest dropped away by 1980. Great Britain was a mercantile empire based on captive colonial markets. Lose your colonies and you lose your markets. Something the USA never had to worry about. Hence the one is not a model for the other.

And we should ALWAYS believe US Intelligence??
Not even the US President do that. (At least not the present on)

I agree with the difference regarding colonies. I was drawing a comparison how Great Britain went from have a sphere of influence, military and industrial might. World War II bankrupted GB so they began a long retrenchment that continues to this day.

One bright spot is every young Chinese student I’ve met here wants to stay.

How many do?? (Past a suitable time to gain experience??)

If they can get work papers, they do. The US doesn’t hand out enough of the Visa’s for the people we need -PHD’s, Engineers’ programers, doctors. My wife’s lead Oncologist is from China. He is very good and compassionate.

I’m sure you’re right. After all, the CIA made those Seattle doctors disappear when they reported the first corona virus deaths. Oh no, wait it wasn’t. It was your close buddies the CHINESE who did that. Tut tut, your yellow fever is acting up again.

3 Likes

I think the Chinese government & media are worse than the US when it comes to lying to the public. Journalists there dissapeare all the time if you believe watchdog groups. On Chinese New Years, Saturday January 25th my family had dinner with a Chinese family who are family friends of ours. Our daughters go to school together & are best friends. This was when the Coronavirus was still back page news. They brought the subject up, I thought it awkward & wasn’t the least bit worried. He is a no nonsense professor at a large state university & he thought it was very serious. They travel to China often & stay in touch with family there. He said the situation was dire & not to believe anything in the media about the coronavirus. He is somewhat pro-China & even he called his governments media machine liars on the coronavirus. He told us then to stock up on things, especially masks. Turns out what I thought was their irrational fears were well founded. I’m glad we listened to him. I slowly started stocking up on things the next Monday he scared me so much. That was the last time we ate at a sit-down restaurant & will probably be the last for a long time.

The first thread about the coronavirus on Gcaptain forum started on Jan 30 & I was the 2nd commentor on that thread repeating the same story as above. Just goes to show you can sometimes believe crazy people online who sound paranoid.

1 Like

Sand Pebble, Logical and lucky to have a diverse circle of friends.

2 Likes

All & any friends are good to have except for the ones who want to borrow money!

They didn’t go into gruesome details at that time in the restaurant of course but they used stronger words & were more descriptive of how bad it was compared to the international & US media. Definitely more dire than that CNA pro-China puff news that @ombugge is always linking to. I was concerned enough to look for masks on January 27th. Then their daughter told our daughter some horrible stories about her uncle that was drafted, him seeing bodies in flatbed trucks. Then the wives talked about it again outside the school waiting for orchestra practice to let out. The mom was very distressed about her brother, the drafted medical professional & she confirmed the horror stories that her daughter told ours. China fucked the world by sugarcoating it IMO.

1 Like

You really are ESL, you need to brush up on your English skills. Do you normally communicate in English? Or is this just your Captain Obvious routine?

First thing. I found when dealing with ombugge you have to be 1000% clear. For instance, in that conversation with him I clearly stated 3 times that I thought it was impossible & undesirable for the US to be completely isolated but we still needed some self sufficiency. He still accused me of being an isolationists. That’s the way globalists & liberals work I guess, you can’t tell them enough to make them understand.

Concerning what languages that I communicate, think & visit REM sleep in. It’s all jumbled up in English, Spanish & Portuguese. While English is my native language I have went months of my life without speaking, thinking or dreaming in it. English isn’t the primary language spoken in our home.

I was referring to Captain Norge. He seems to be constantly making flawed arguments due to his poor grasp of English.

1 Like

Due to a poor grasp on reality is more like it.

My grasp of English language is a mix of all the people I have sailed with , including a southern bit of my background… When I sailed on a boat with my northern friends, my wife asked “Where did that accent come from?” We all learn how to adapt to things around us. It gets complicated with Maine/Mass engineers and GOM crew. Early on I worked with a few very skilled Tangier Island and Outer Banks guys, that really messed me up, Old English and Island twang . The cook (If I was lucky enough to have one) was the dude I communicated with quite well. I loved it.

1 Like