Intel on Shell in Alaska

Greetings,

gCaptain reported yesterday that the Obama administration has given the green light to Shell for exploration in the Chukchi and Beaufort Seas. Additionally, many other news outlets are reporting that Shell will finally be moving forward with their plans in the Alaskan Arctic. IF continued lawsuits and other opposition are not successful in shutting down Shell for the 2012 season, the next logical question is: where are the maritime jobs going to be?

Shell has, for some time, had various maritime resources positioned in Dutch Harbor, which by all accounts is only a small fraction of the fleet that would be expected if they finally start drilling wells up there. Some reports suggest that Shell will have a fleet of as many as 24 vessels in Alaska to support drilling operations. Most of you are probably familiar with the vessel NANUQ, built and manned for Shell by ECO, and currently stationed in Dutch Harbor. In addition to drillships/platforms and other foreign flag vessels working for Shell, does anyone have any information on what other US flag companies may be working in support of this operation? I am specifically thinking of tug & barge companies that will be positioning supplies in support of the drilling operation, or US Flag OSVs and AHTS that will be working on site. The Alaska Journal of commerce mentions a US-built “polar class” AHTS for Shell, which I would assume is also from ECO, but don’t have any further information. (see: http://www.alaskajournal.com/Alaska-Journal-of-Commerce/September-2011/Shells-Alaska-investment-nears-4B/).

I have spent more than half my career working in Alaska, and would like to go back to work on a project like this. Information shared with the Forum here might help dedicated mariners find a good job for next summer. Thanks.

-Captfish

Noble will do the drilling…Chouest will provide support vessels

[QUOTE=c.captain;56025]Noble will do the drilling…Chouest will provide support vessels[/QUOTE]

Thanks c.captain…anyone have information on tugs? I assume someone will be towing up all the equipment and supplies for the season…Foss, Crowley, Dunlap?

I can’t say for sure but those are the major players. Dunlap seems to have all available boats working for Northland though. Don’t forget Western Towing.

I know Harvey was sending one work boat before things closed up, they have an Alaskan office so I would imaging that will send some tugs also.

Took BRM with a guy that was supposed to head up there. He told me everybody had bought winter clothes and the boat had been outfitted with FLIR and heaters.

[QUOTE=captfish;56004]Greetings,

gCaptain reported yesterday that the Obama administration has given the green light to Shell for exploration in the Chukchi and Beaufort Seas. Additionally, many other news outlets are reporting that Shell will finally be moving forward with their plans in the Alaskan Arctic. IF continued lawsuits and other opposition are not successful in shutting down Shell for the 2012 season, the next logical question is: where are the maritime jobs going to be?

Shell has, for some time, had various maritime resources positioned in Dutch Harbor, which by all accounts is only a small fraction of the fleet that would be expected if they finally start drilling wells up there. Some reports suggest that Shell will have a fleet of as many as 24 vessels in Alaska to support drilling operations. Most of you are probably familiar with the vessel NANUQ, built and manned for Shell by ECO, and currently stationed in Dutch Harbor. In addition to drillships/platforms and other foreign flag vessels working for Shell, does anyone have any information on what other US flag companies may be working in support of this operation? I am specifically thinking of tug & barge companies that will be positioning supplies in support of the drilling operation, or US Flag OSVs and AHTS that will be working on site. The Alaska Journal of commerce mentions a US-built “polar class” AHTS for Shell, which I would assume is also from ECO, but don’t have any further information. (see: http://www.alaskajournal.com/Alaska-Journal-of-Commerce/September-2011/Shells-Alaska-investment-nears-4B/).

I have spent more than half my career working in Alaska, and would like to go back to work on a project like this. Information shared with the Forum here might help dedicated mariners find a good job for next summer. Thanks.

-Captfish[/QUOTE]

The Nanuq is in Seattle the last I heard, just standing by. Hull 247 is the large icebreaker currently under construction. If the 2012 drilling takes place, Shell is already prepared to sign another contract for another large vessel with ECO. If you want to get involved with this, I would get with ECO now. Having a towing and ice background should be enough to get their attention.

Obama Administration Moves Forward with ‘Lease Sale 193’ in Chukchi

Overheard from Crowley’s office that they are commissioning new tugs as fast as possible, however the reason was undivulged.

Foss is building 3 arctic series tugs now.