Income tax question

As a US Citizen working on a foreign-flagged vessel overseas that is owned and operated by a US company, what tax liabilities are you subjected to? The schedule is equal time, and I am not residing in the nation where the vessel is operating. Thanks for the info or advice.

Where do you claim to live? (Where do you own a home/ where does your wife and children live/ where do you spend your time when not at work?)

What country does your pay come from and go to? What country do you keep your money in?

Yours is not a simple question.

When I get off the boat I come back to the States where I maintain residency and citizenship. The hitch is typically 35/35.

Oh also. Paycheck comes from the US office and I keep everything in the US.

This has been discussed numerous times, use the search function and I guarantee you will find the answer.

[QUOTE=red-white-red;143259]Oh also. Paycheck comes from the US office and I keep everything in the US.[/QUOTE]

You just answered your own question. If you live here then you pay your taxes.

Lol then you lay taxes here! LolZ

[QUOTE=PDCMATE;143268]This has been discussed numerous times, use the search function and I guarantee you will find the answer.[/QUOTE]

This, and spend a fin or two on a tax accountant who knows what the f he or she is doing. Worth every penny.

Thanks for the advice about the search function! Is there a way you can filter out all of the bitching and complaining about SSN, or foreign mariners or anything else?

I didn’t ever think to look before I started a thread asking a question!

Yeah and no shit! I live here I pay taxes here! I’m asking if there is anything different when you working out of the US on a foreign flagged vessel.

Not looking to get around anything or cheat my my government. I am just asking the forum if anyone has had any similar experiences.

Thanks for the advice. Any to recommend? Yes PDCMate…I know I can probably use the search function, or do a web search.

[QUOTE=red-white-red;143279]Yeah and no shit! I live here I pay taxes here! I’m asking if there is anything different when you working out of the US on a foreign flagged vessel.[/QUOTE]

you still owe Federal Income tax if the owner is American and you are paid in the US however they are not required to withhold FICA from your pay nor contribute to it themselves for wages earned out of the USA

[QUOTE=c.captain;143285]you still owe Federal Income tax if the owner is American and you are paid in the US however they are not required to withhold FICA from your pay nor contribute to it themselves for wages earned out of the USA[/QUOTE]

what, no red hot poker for a poster who obviously put no research into his own question before coming here?

did the Pharaoh wear you out?

u back on your meds?

M/V Orca get the Singapore to D-GAR contract away from the Baffin Strait?

No, a foreign research vessel is taking a piece of his action, all his effort is gone towards fighting it but his democratic congressman doesn’t give a shit! Meanwhile, the pharaoh had been made master of said foreign vessel.

[QUOTE=red-white-red;143279]Yeah and no shit! I live here I pay taxes here! I’m asking if there is anything different when you working out of the US on a foreign flagged vessel.

Not looking to get around anything or cheat my my government. I am just asking the forum if anyone has had any similar experiences.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, no shit.

We have had lots of similar experiences.

If you live in the US, you allegedly pay US tax on your [U]worldwide[/U] income.

If you are US [U]resident[/U] but are working overseas, you get a credit for foreign tax allegedly paid. Ahem…mumble, details unclear, ahhh, yeah, umm next question.

If you are a USA citizen resident of [U]another[/U] country, you likely would qualify for a partial exclusion of your foreign source income for US tax purposes, count on filing a US tax return, and you get a credit on your US tax for the foreign tax allegedly paid, if any.

If you have a home and family in the US, work and get paid overseas, but regularly return to your US home (when on leave for example), forget the US tax exclusion. You will not qualify.

For your circumstance, you would pay US tax.

That is the start and the end of the theory.

http://www.irs.gov/Individuals/International-Taxpayers/Foreign-Earned-Income-Exclusion

Some tax treaties allow a seafarer working on a ship in the territorial waters of another country to be considered a resident of their country of citizenship for tax purposes. This is actually handier than it seems if working in high tax areas like the EU.

For the tax treaty bit, if it might affect you favourably, you have to dig a little harder for the details. But the theory is simple.

[QUOTE=red-white-red;143279]Yeah and no shit! I live here I pay taxes here! I’m asking if there is anything different when you working out of the US on a foreign flagged vessel.

Not looking to get around anything or cheat my my government. I am just asking the forum if anyone has had any similar experiences.[/QUOTE]

Yes please pay your taxes, illegal aliens, Muslim Countries, and Obama vacations depend on that money.

[QUOTE=Johnny Canal;143292]what, no red hot poker for a poster who obviously put no research into his own question before coming here?

did the Pharaoh wear you out?

u back on your meds?

M/V Orca get the Singapore to D-GAR contract away from the Baffin Strait?[/QUOTE]

FUCK…play it straight for once and this is the SHIT I get!

No shit, and dont forget the legions of welfare slugs that vote for a living.

[QUOTE=c.captain;143350]FUCK…play it straight for once and this is the SHIT I get![/QUOTE]
Yeah, what the hell were you thinking? Now start two fisting 'em and all will be as it should.

Read Form 2555 of the IRS… They have the instructions on who qualify for the foreign earned income exclusion…