In-demand skills? future prospects?

I’m starting my career at sea. I’ll be 33 in October, and am wondering what this will mean for my potential for advancement down the line. How long does it take to become a captain? And at the age I’ll be then, will I get the job, or wind up being passed over by younger people? Currently I’m wanting to sail all seven seas and get to all the world I can. Down the line I’m sure I’d like to settle down eventually.

Secondly, what skills are in demand? My background is computers, networking, low voltage electronics, (BS Computer Science) and I’ve always been the kind of guy to work on my own truck and help friends with theirs, and do as much around the house as I could. Oh and I can cook alright too :slight_smile: So do I get certs in engineering department or satellite and communications, and that will take me to the top, or will that prevent me from going up the deck track?

btw so far i have my STCW95 BST, TWIC, MMD. Which certs should I work on first/next, in your exalted opinion?

thanks and fair sailing and all that
James

Heck I waited until I was 41 to start my career.

There are a lot of different versions of “Captain” so from 2 to 6 years depending on your choice and up to 10 if you get on equal time/ 8 hour days. You can read the NMC website to get some information on the requirements for each different version.

As far as certs… your next bump up will be to AB but you have to be careful that you don’t get them to early because they are only good for 1 year. So make sure you have a job that will get you the seatime you need to upgrade within the year of taking the AB. Lifeboatman/PSC is the same. Some things that don’t expire is your MROP (radio license) and GMDSS also an FCC license. You can go to the FCC site and get the information on these items. The schools have a way to help you get them but you are spending money when you can download all the information from the FCC website for free.

As far as the younger crowd passing you by… old age and treachery trump youth and exuberance any day. :stuck_out_tongue: It ain’t easy where you are going and it takes a tremendous amout of time and resources so that thins the herd pretty quickly. In a nut shell, don’t be looking over your shoulder. Stay focused and worry about you. The average age of the mariners out there is very high and there will be jobs for you to move into in the coming years just from the retirement rate, let alone the more stringent requirements of the USCG and IMO.

Best of luck to you.

James - I myself did not start in the maritime industry until I was 34. And I have come across many others starting this as a 2nd career around that age. Sounds like you are already on track with the training. Going into the engine room is a little “quicker” then it would be going to the wheelhouse, providing you find an employer that is willing to place you in the engine room. I personally opted for the wheelhouse. I don’t handle MSD (marine sanitation device) residents too well. Check out the USCG checklist websiteand select either Deck or Engineer to find out the requirements for each. RFPEW QMED would be the next step in the engine room or RFPNW AB towards the wheelhouse. Hope this helps you out. In my opinion, good engineers are in higher demand then captains. Ultimately, the decision on which route you want to go is up to you.
Good luck - Brian

“In a nut shell, don’t be looking over your shoulder. Stay focused and worry about you.”

That is very good advice. Exactly what I did to get to where I am at now.

Hey James- I am at the very top of my maritime career-I make a six figure income and work 70-90 days a year. Best advice I can give: never think you are “above” anything. When you take a job, no matter how lowly, do it to the best of your ability. Network with everyone- our industry RUNS on networking! I have worked on boats with everyone from the poorest bayou rat to multimillionaires, con artists, fags, pirates, cross dressers, cowards, heros and all points in between. In the end…the boat sailed. Get experience- in all types of vessels. Makes you more marketable. Best of Luck. This is a great website, with some super people with a ton of experience…keep an eye on it!

[QUOTE=jccorreu;18062]How long does it take to become a captain? And at the age I’ll be then, will I get the job, or wind up being passed over by younger people? [/QUOTE]

Hey James, sounds like you are highly motivated, which is great. You are most certainly putting yourself on the right track.

But if I might offer some unsolicited advice: don’t be in a huge hurry to be Captain. Oh, I know it sounds great and people certainly love putting that title in front of their name (mostly because we feel we earned it), but as soon as you get promoted to Captain, the fun meter gets secured (hence, the earning the right to put the title in front of our name).

I gotta tell you: best damn job I ever had was when I was sailing as Chief Mate.

So, don’t forget to stop and smell the Mate roses while you can.

Listen to Capt. Fran. She knows whereof she speaks.

Nemo

thanks to ya’ll.

yeah the title of captain does sound great :slight_smile: and I can always do a “lower” job if I find I don’t like being captain, or nothing available. that is a ways off though, I am just setting a direction to go in, a goal to shoot for.

right now i don’t even know what kind of vessel or sector of sailing I’d prefer, I.e. container shipping, cruise lines, yachting, tanker, tug, ferry, research vessel, etc…

i do like being able to do many things, i love having variety in my activities. and, it makes sense that the more that everyone on board can do to cross over with others duties is going to make a better ship, (of course those of you who have been doing the job can tell me that for certain) and that if someone becomes unable to function there will still be someone else who can take over.

with the way the market is now, and with what I am hearing, it may be easier for me to get my foot in the door if I get an intro engineering cert (RFPEW QMED?). besides i may find that I really like working that side of things after all.

are all sea miles the same though? if i work as an entry engineer but find I prefer doing deck duties, will my miles count toward my A/B?

this is a bit confusing though. i see there are courses that can be taken. and it seems that you don’t have to take a course to get some licenses/certs, but do to get others? and certainly pass an exam, and of course have the sea miles. but i could take a course before i get that title, and have a year to accumulate the miles and take the exam? or do i need the miles first? …

and in order to have my stcw appear on my mmd, i need one of the other approved certs… like proficiency in survivial craft, or rfpnw, celestial navigation, gmdss, rfpew, etc…
since it is marketability i need currently, which class should i take in order to use my limited resources, (money, time) in the best possible way to get me accumulating miles and experience? is it going to be rfpew, even though it seems i need sea time before i will actually be issued the cert?

thanks
james

James,

It’s not “miles”, it’s days. You can be broken down and adrift for a month and not move ten miles and still collect thirty or forty-five days of sea time, depending on your watch keeping schedule.

You’re on the right track. Keep on keeping on. It’s a good life, if you don’t mind living in a house that’s vibrating, moving, surging, pitching, rolling and heaving with a bunch of other people in close proximity. I don’t mind it, but some can’t tolerate it.

If I can help. contact me.

Nemo

James,

It’s not “miles”, it’s days. You can be broken down and adrift for a month and not move ten miles and still collect thirty or forty-five days of sea time, depending on your watch keeping schedule.

You’re on the right track. Keep on keeping on. It’s a good life, if you don’t mind living in a house that’s vibrating, moving, surging, pitching, rolling and heaving with a bunch of other people in close proximity. I don’t mind it, but some can’t tolerate it.

If you think I can help, contact me.

Nemo