I Just Don't Understand ITC Tonnage

The ITC endorsement for 500 or 3000 is simply (!) asked for from the NMC. When they tell you this is not possible, cite USCG Policy Letter 07-00.

http://www.uscg.mil/nmc/policy_letters/pdfs/07-00.pdf

The 6000 ITC endorsement can only be obtained through a company that is set up to do this on their larger vessels, and they have DEs on board to to the evaluation.

[QUOTE=PaddyWest2012;105761] How does all that business work?[/QUOTE]

Well, first you hire a lobbyist. Then you funnel really big checks, hookers, and airline tickets to luxury resorts to the criminals - oops, elected representatives - who have the power to make otherwise sleazy things legitimate for the folks who wrote the checks.

It really isn’t complicated, it just takes money.

[QUOTE=cmakin;105727] I have always felt that licensing would be better based on displacement/horsepower than tonnage.[/QUOTE]
Me too. I always chuckled at the ferries where I grew up. They were all around 2000, 2600 GT. Then when all this tonnage opening, re measuring came up (as if anything had actually changed) they all magically showed up UNDER 1600 GT. Whoosh, gone the lifeboats, Gone half the complement, Gone the path to get unlimited licenses, Gone common sense.

It is good that Uncle Sams Confused Group is finally getting rid of the loopholes. I agree it should be a simple, displacement calculation, no loopholes, no ‘creative’ design. ITC seems to accomplish that. What was wrong with the way inland towboats are measured? The lift them up and weigh them, the weight is… The tonnage. Realizing you cant ‘pick up’ a ship, it Can be mathematically figured out what a ship (or any vessel) weighs.

Realizing you cant ‘pick up’ a ship, it Can be mathematically figured out what a ship (or any vessel) weighs.

Water displacement.

http://www.uscg.mil/nmc/credentials/checklists/pdfs/MCP-FM-NMC5-87%20Master%20OSV%206000.pdf?list1=%2Fnmc%2Fcredentials%2Fchecklists%2Fpdfs%2FMCP-FM-NMC5-87+Master+OSV+6000.pdf&B1=GO!

1. Get 180 days as master or mate on an OSV over 1000GT (ITC)
  2. If your company does not have a Large OSV program, you will need to get hired by a company that does have one.
  3. Get approved to participate in the Large OSV program, which entails 56 days as an observer under supervision. During this 56 days you will be getting program specific assessments signed off.

[QUOTE=water;105765]The ITC endorsement for 500 or 3000 is simply (!) asked for from the NMC.[/QUOTE]

So, how does this work for those of us who work on little boats? I run small ferries with a 100 ton license and have been asked by the UK MCA to have ITC listed on my MMC before they can give me a UK credential based on reciprocity. If I just go to the local REC and ask them to add an ITC figure, will they do it?

Thanks in advance.

1 Like

I have an OSV 3000 question. I already have my 500 NC master, I didnt know I had to ask for the OSV 3000 to get it. SO now im getting together another application to send off and im stuck on the user fees. Isn’t OSV 3000 an STCW endorsement, so therefor a free issuance?? Or is it a MMC Officer endorsement?

The CG fee list confuses me a little.

[I]ITC has nothing to do with displacement. It is a measure of volume calculate to a given set of regs.

From Wikipeda, since someone else took the time to write it out:[/I]

[B]Gross tonnage (GT)[/B] is a function of the volume of all ship’s enclosed spaces (from keel to funnel) measured to the outside of the hull framing. The numerical value for a ship’s GT is always smaller than the numerical values for both her gross register tonnage and the GRT value expressed equivalently in cubic meters rather than cubic feet, for example: 0.5919 GT = 1 GRT = 2.8316 m3; 200 GT = 274 GRT = 775,88 m3; 500 GT = 665 GRT = 1,883.07 m3; 3,000 GT = 3,776 GRT = 10,692.44 m3), though by how much depends on the vessel design (volume). There is a sliding scale factor. So GT is a kind of capacity-derived index that is used to rank a ship for purposes of determining manning, safety and other statutory requirements and is expressed simply as GT, which is a unitless entity, even though its derivation is tied to the cubic meter unit of volumetric capacity.

Tonnage measurements are now governed by an IMO Convention (International Convention on Tonnage Measurement of Ships, 1969 (London-Rules)), which applies to all ships built after July 1982. In accordance with the Convention, the correct term to use now is GT, which is a function of the moulded volume of all enclosed spaces of the ship.

[B]Net tonnage (NT)[/B] is based on a calculation of the volume of all cargo spaces of the ship. It indicates a vessel’s earning space and is a function of the moulded volume of all cargo spaces of the ship.

A commonly defined measurement system is important; since a ship’s registration fee, harbour dues, safety and manning rules etc., are based on its gross tonnage, GT, or net tonnage, NT.

[B]Gross register tonnage (GRT)[/B] represents the total internal volume of a vessel, where a register ton is equal to a volume of 100 cubic feet (2.83168 m3), which volume, if filled with fresh water, would weigh around 2,800 kg or 2.8 tonnes. The definition (and calculation) of the internal volume is complex; a ship’s hold can, for instance, be assessed for bulk grain (accounting for all the air space in the hold) or for bales (omitting the spaces into which bulk, but not baled cargo would spill). If V stands for the total internal volume in m3, then the GRT equals V / 2.83168, so for a ship of 10,000 m3 total internal volume, the gross register tonnage is 10,000 / 2.83168 = 3531.47 GRT. Gross register tonnage was replaced by gross tonnage in 1994 under the Tonnage Measurement convention of 1969, and is no longer a widely used term in the industry.[1][2]

[B]Net register tonnage (NRT)[/B] is the volume of cargo the vessel can carry; i.e., the gross register tonnage less the volume of spaces that will not hold cargo (e.g., engine compartment, helm station, crew spaces, etc., again with differences depending on which port or country is doing the calculations). It represents the volume of the ship available for transporting freight or passengers. It was replaced by net tonnage in 1994, under the Tonnage Measurement convention of 1969.

[B]Lightship or Lightweight [/B]measures the actual weight of the ship with no fuel, passengers, cargo, water, etc. on board.

[B]Deadweight tonnage[/B] (often abbreviated as DWT for deadweight tonnes) is the displacement at any loaded condition minus the lightship weight. It includes the crew, passengers, cargo, fuel, water, and stores. Like Displacement, it is often expressed in long tons or in metric tons.

Historically, tonnage was the tax on tuns (casks) of wine that held 954 litres (252 gallons) of wine and weighed 1016 kilograms (2,240 pounds). This suggests that the unit of weight measurement, long tons (also 1016 kilograms or 2,240 lb) and tonnage both share the same etymology. The confusion between weight based terms (deadweight and displacement) stems from this common source and the eventual decision to assess dues based on a ship’s deadweight rather than counting the tuns of wine. In 1720 the Builder’s Old Measurement Rule was adopted to estimate deadweight from the length of keel and maximum breadth or beam of a ship. This overly simplistic system was replaced by the Moorsom System in 1854 and calculated internal volume, not weight. This system evolved into the current set of internationally accepted rules and regulations.

When steamships came into being, they could carry less cargo, size for size, than sailing ships. As well as spaces taken up by boilers and steam engines, steamships carried extra fresh water for the boilers as well as coal for the engines. Thus, to move the same volume of cargo as a sailing ship, a steamship would be considerably larger than a sailing ship.

“Harbour Dues” are based on tonnage. In order to prevent steamships operating at a disadvantage, various tonnage calculations were established to minimise the disadvantage that the extra space requirements of steamships presented. Rather than charging by length or displacement etc., charges were calculated on the viable cargo space. As commercial cargo sailing ships are now largely extinct, Gross Tonnage is becoming the universal method of calculating ships dues, and is also a more straightforward and transparent method of assessment.

[QUOTE=“Bayrunner;120353”]I have an OSV 3000 question. I already have my 500 NC master, I didnt know I had to ask for the OSV 3000 to get it. SO now im getting together another application to send off and im stuck on the user fees. Isn’t OSV 3000 an STCW endorsement, so therefor a free issuance?? Or is it a MMC Officer endorsement?

The CG fee list confuses me a little.[/QUOTE]

It’s also a USCG domestic license.

[QUOTE=“3534895;119809”]

So, how does this work for those of us who work on little boats? I run small ferries with a 100 ton license and have been asked by the UK MCA to have ITC listed on my MMC before they can give me a UK credential based on reciprocity. If I just go to the local REC and ask them to add an ITC figure, will they do it?

Thanks in advance.[/QUOTE]

There is no USCG issued ITC license equivalent to our 100 ton. You would need to upgrade to a 200 ton license to get an ITC equivalent.

A small general cargo coaster built 1971 in Germany trading on short coastal voyages had original National Tonnage 299GRT, than in 1994 new ITC1969 was introduced which increased the tonnage to 992GT without any structural modification or increase in carrying capacity. She is still the same size since built. This increase from 299GRT to 992GT has drastically increased operational cost and requirement of additional certifications to the level that it is just not economical to operate this small coaster any more. There were various exemptions given when she was 299GRT ie Port charges, pilotage exemption ISPS, ISM, Dry Docking charges etc. since she was under 300GRT.

I just Don’t understand the reason as to why the original 299GRT since built in1971 had to changed to ITC tonnage 992GT.

I look forward to receive comments, guidance and advise from colleagues who may be facing same senario.

Just to add some recent news.

http://www.uscg.mil/hq/msc/docs/MSCIB_01-16.pdf

Looks like the final rule is out there.

Couldn’t get CG links to the rule to work but this one seems to.

I never felt safe with tonnage openings to the main deck. Regulatory would make you chalk test the watertight door but you could not use sealant on the tonnage opening even though daylight would shine through. They really are a accident waiting for a place to happen!