Hybrid Car Causes Ferry Fire

Hybrid Car Causes Ferry Fire:

Yesterday’s fire on the Pearl of Scandinavia is now thought to have been caused by a short-circuit in the battery chargers on the car deck.

DFDS, which owns the ferry, has now banned the use of the chargers on board its ferries.

“We’re temporarily banning electrical charging on the deck for safety reasons until we have reached a firm conclusion on the cause of the fire,” Gert Jakobsen of DFDS told TV2.

A Nissan car, which had been converted from petrol to electric, caught fire on the deck. The owner of the car, Søren Ekelund, believes the fire was caused by a short-circuit in an extension cable connected to a socket on the deck.

“I reckon the short-circuit was caused by dampness, so the socket may not have been completely water tight,” Ekelund told TV2.

Jakobsen said yesterday that it would take six days to repair the damages and resume the ferry’s normal services.

“We are in contact with ticket holders and are offering them alternative travel arrangements,” Jakobsen told The Copenhagen Post.

The Pearl’s sister ship, the Crown of Scandinavia, also in service on the Oslo-Copenhagen stretch, will continue as scheduled. AP

that sure is encouraging,gives me 2nd thoughts,on getting one, anytime soon.

[QUOTE=New Orleans Lady;44185]that sure is encouraging,gives me 2nd thoughts,on getting one, anytime soon.[/QUOTE]

That’s kind of like avoiding dairy products because someone got kicked by a cow.

The car was a conversion done by a small company, the fire was caused by a wet plug on the power cord connecting ship’s power to the car. What has any of this got to do with any current factory produced fully electric or hybrid car?

Steamer,this tech., has obvious improvements, to make,and I prefer, not to be a guinea pig, while it works out it’s “kinks”…just being cautious, and smart, and conservative. Hey , Go for it, my friend…and I ll send you a note of thanks, to your funeral. [QUOTE=Steamer;44244]That’s kind of like avoiding dairy products because someone got kicked by a cow.

The car was a conversion done by a small company, the fire was caused by a wet plug on the power cord connecting ship’s power to the car. What has any of this got to do with any current factory produced fully electric or hybrid car?[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=New Orleans Lady;44248]Steamer,this tech., has obvious improvements, to make,and I prefer, not to be a guinea pig, while it works out it’s “kinks”…just being cautious, and smart, and conservative.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the glimpse into the wierd world of irrational fears.

How do you manage to even crawl out from under your bed? The NFPA says here were 190,000 vehicle fires last year but the number involving hybrid or electrical vehicles is so low it doesn’t even show up as a statistic, sort of like the number of cars hit by meteors. If driving at all is too scary to consider, you ought to be very very careful about hopping on a bus, somewhere between 1 and 2 percent of all buses catch fire each year.

And since the fire on the ferry was caused by a wet extension cord plug I guess you won’t be thinking about plugging in a toaster anytime soon, or even worse, a vacuum cleaner or a TV set!

It must be very very frightening to live in your world … be careful out there, no telling what might fall from the sky.

Well, Steamer,you ve obviously had a ruff weekend…I can not help it if you forgot to pay your lite bill, and your wittle electric car, wouldn’t start this morning. Why don’t you try plugging the cord of your car in the electric socket, instead of your “Junk”, cause it doesn t look like, your lite bulb is turned on in your head,anyways!!.