How do you see Navigational Risk?

Hi everyone

I’m a newly-qualified OOW currently doing a BSc in Navigation & Maritime Science in Plymouth, and I’m trying to work out how people individually perceive risk in various navigational circumstances.

As such I’d love to have your opinions on the matter, and I’ve put together a very short survey (3-7 minutes). I’d really appreciate your time in filling this in because every opinion will be valuable to me in my research.

[U]https://qtrial2015ut1.ut1.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_6Jslcgfm1x8VzEN[/U]

I posted this a month or so ago, but I still need more responses. Thanks to those who did take the time to fill it in.
If anyone has any questions about the survey please feel free to ask.

Thanks,
Troy Taylor, Plymouth University.

With a good pair of binoculars.

LOTFW

Look out the Eff window

[QUOTE=CaptMarc;157249]LOTFW

Look out the Eff window[/QUOTE]

wasn’t it some other boob from the same school who just posted a survey about the distractions of operating in a VTS? Looks like we’re infested with em here! I swear they’re just like bedbugs…

Dead set, you blokes need to get out more. This used to be a valuable forum where all posts were treated respectfully. Now it is the same regular clique trying to out do each other with smart replies that serve no purpose. With regard to this particular thread, I would be interested to know how many of those that replied sail outside US waters and or with multi national crews. For if you did, I would suspect that you may consider what the OP is attempting to study is of great importance to those that do.

To Troy, good on you and good luck with your career.

[QUOTE=Ben;157359]Dead set, you blokes need to get out more. This used to be a valuable forum where all posts were treated respectfully. Now it is the same regular clique trying to out do each other with smart replies that serve no purpose.[/QUOTE]

and who are you exactly Mr. Ben 5 Posts?

I say the original posts was stoopid…SO THERE!

[QUOTE=c.captain;157367]and who are you exactly Mr. Ben 5 Posts?

I say the original posts was stoopid…SO THERE![/QUOTE]

I think you prove Ben’s point here exactly… Here is a topic with something that could actually be useful and serve a purpose of some sort… Ben points that out and you call him out for only having 5 posts?! I forgot how much you bring so much to this forum by posting over and over and over and over about how bad the OSV industry and how crazy it is that the maritime industry isn’t unionized. Oh and then anyone who posts otherwise or for on anything else for that matter you just bash them. We all realize that you get off by living on this forum but at least leave people alone who are somewhat on topic and trying to be respectful. If you think a post is stoopid maybe just dont comment so other people can have online discussions in the form of posted messages… in other words a FORUM

so let’s just have every cadet out there come on here with every seaproject question they have and you’ll just be so gosh damned happy to answer every one of them in great detail. What the hell did this kid even ask with this question?

I’m trying to work out how people individually perceive risk in various navigational circumstances.

seriously, what the hell does this even mean and no, I am not about to take his survey to find out!

here, I’ll answer the kid’s question:

open ocean = low risk
coastwise = moderate risk
harbors = high risk

any further questions?

no, then class is dismissed

[QUOTE=c.captain;157380]so let’s just have every cadet out there come on here with every seaproject question they have and you’ll just be so gosh damned happy to answer every one of them in great detail. What the hell did this kid even ask with this question?

seriously, what the hell does this even mean and no, I am not about to take his survey to find out!

here, I’ll answer the kid’s question:

open ocean = low risk
coastwise = moderate risk
harbors = high risk

class dismissed[/QUOTE]

Erm, it’s a bit more nuanced than that. For example, you’re in the open ocean, but you’re in heavy fog and there’s a fleet of fishing vessels ahead of you. Not only that, there’s a bulker crossing from your starboard bow who will not answer the radio for love or money. Now assess the navigational risk.

What he asked was how people [I]individually[/I] assess navigational risk. Think about that question just a bit. Also, if you’re the captain, think about how that question applies to your watchstanding mates.

EDIT: This post is a general comment; I quoted the previous post just for context.

slow or stop your vessel and risks diminish rapidly…if necessary, remain stopped all day

What he asked was how people individually assess navigational risk. Think about that question just a bit. Also, if you’re the captain, think about how that question applies to your watchstanding mates.

they had better consider the risk in everything all the time and duly take those risks into account in their actions or they weren’t trained properly and will be due a large boot upon their gluteus maximus

[QUOTE=c.captain;157431]slow or stop your vessel and risks diminish rapidly…if necessary, remain stopped all day

they had better consider the risk in everything all the time and duly take those risks into account in their actions or they weren’t trained properly and will be due a large boot upon their glutous maximus[/QUOTE]

I fully agree. Bottom line, the risks had to be assessed and then [I]properly acted upon[/I]. My main concern was that your post seemed to suggest a one-size-fits-all approach to any situation.

[QUOTE=c.captain;157431]slow or stop your vessel and risks diminish rapidly…if necessary, remain stopped all day

they had better consider the risk in everything all the time and duly take those risks into account in their actions or they weren’t trained properly and will be due a large boot upon their gluteus maximus[/QUOTE]

I’m proud of your contributions this time!! You gave some input and we’re still able to come off as a crusty old marine!!!

[QUOTE=devdrill;157477]I’m proud of your contributions this time!! You gave some input and we’re still able to come off as a crusty old marine!!![/QUOTE]

aw shucks…