How do Mariners make money on the side?

Never had an employment contract. I showed up when I said I would. What I did on my off time was none of their business. I did not compete against them with the operators that employed me on my off time.

1 Like

There is a ready market for highly detailed models like the one in your photograph and they pay top dollar but they take a long time. I don’t have the patience and my fingers are too big.

2 Likes

I worked for two different passenger vessel tour companies until the virus shut one down and nearly shut down the other. I’ll be captain this Saturday in fact.

1 Like

Yes, not fair, the model in the picture is in a museum. :slight_smile:

Bicycle rental shop.

2 Likes

Get your ABYC certification and fix marine generators or engines at the local boatyard. If you’re not an engineer, pressure wash yachts for fun and profit.

1 Like

I knew a young NZ 5th engineer who decided to go for a trip around Europe with his girlfriend. He ended up at a boatyard in LA and put an offer in on a badly damaged steel sloop that had been lying in a corner of the yard for a couple of years. When others saw the quality of his work on it he was employed on many other boats in the yard.
When he completed the work on his own boat he and his girlfriend sailed the boat to New Zealand. The customs were upset to find that they could only charge duty on what he had paid for it.
He eventually sold the yacht and brought a home with the proceeds.

7 Likes

Swing trading is fun, but educating yourself is key. If I had a dollar someone walked up the gangway saying “if only I bought Tesla stock a month ago…”

2 Likes

I started a lil side gig on Etsy. I have a woodshop where I make beads and misc little knick knacks out of many types of different wood. People buy them to use for jewelry. It’s not much but it’s fun and keeps me busy.

2 Likes

2 posts were split to a new topic: Making Money on the Side - Part II