How do Mariners make money on the side?

I’ve also driven cabs part-time. It’s one way to meet people you’d avoid if they weren’t sitting in the back seat. I wouldn’t recommend it to anyone unless they were really hard up, with all the crazies currently running around.

1 Like

You could do worse. I lived in a part of LA infested with gangbangers. It wasn’t unusual for some of them to greet the day by firing 2 or 3 rounds at the sun and let their homies know it was time to start committing some crimes. A very exuberant lot. I’m glad it’s now only a distant memory.

2 Likes

Along these lines, and considering christmas is around the corner, i’ve known some folks in the past who would make some quick bucks working at xmas tree lots and hanging lights. If one was off the latter half of November into December it would be a great way to make some quick :money_with_wings:.

As for myself, i’ve occasionally (but not in quite sometime) have managed to augment my income by moonlighting within the industry, just not with a competitor.

1 Like

Google “side hustles” for ideas. Easy one is welding and painting.

1 Like

Terrestrial and Celestial Nav tutoring…especially for module 205 and cel nav for OICNW level.

4 Likes

I did a bit of teaching at a school in Houston that offers courses for OUPV licenses. The money was actually pretty good.

1 Like

haven’t you ever seen the sign “painters needed, sailors need not apply”? :joy:

6 Likes

Marine surveying during slack times in SE Alaska

1 Like

Saw an ad in Virginia newspaper in the 70’s that said almost the same thing.

1 Like

I teamed up with a guy working opposite schedules from me and built a coin operated car wash which expanded into a few. That way someone was always home to take care of things. We made some money but I am not sure it could be replicated today.

1 Like

I think it also depends on your schedule, are you on an offshore type 4 week on/off, or are you on a union maybe 4 month hitch, give or take a month or so? The shorter time off, you may want to really do something you enjoy and can turn it off and on rather quickly. If you have extended time (months) you could decide to do something that can be drawn out longer and with smaller investment (due to your longer time away).

1 Like

A former shipmate and great friend who is still employed but retiring in the next few years set his wife up with a beauty salon a few years back… She also teaches in the same industry at their salon. He actually got certified himself and does hair on his time off. Happy for them.

1 Like

There is always going the full monty route: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPSoJ6LdhGA

2 Likes

One of the weirdest side gigs that I heard of was from an OSV capt from Beaumont, TX. The guy was an idiot. He said he had a circuit of different shopping malls in his region that he would drive around & recover stray shopping carts that hoodlums & homeless people ran off with. His nickname was “Capt Can’t Be Right”. If he said it, thought it or did it, it was pretty much guarentee to be wrong. He said he made $5 a cart.

2 Likes

So you worked with Bubbles?

11 Likes

I do handyman type stuff or boat repair. $30 bucks an hour under the table for home repair stuff hanging ceiling fans, lights, installing shelves it is amazing how many people don’t have tools or are clueless. Boat repair I usually charge more for. It always amazes me how many people blissfully just cruise along not checking voltage gauges or oil level until there is a problem. I don’t advertise its mostly folks I already know and I turn down a lot of work because I don’t want to work that much on my off time although the oil patch gives me a lot more time off the last couple of years. If you are handy and have tools you will never go hungry. I looked into going legit with insurance and it’s not very expensive. If things get worse I may just go that route.

4 Likes

Personally I would like to do something on my time off. One of the guys on my team mentioned real estate and a few properties will have it so. One “doesnt have to work” again. Being able to provide for yourself once is awhile is a good feeling, especially if it’s not taxed :star_struck:

:rofl:, not a bad idea.

My schedule now is 15-6 on season. I need something to do in my off time and when the season ends.

I will look into this, sounds like certifications are needed. Hopefully sea-time wont be to much of a barrier.