How can I begin a career as a merchant marine?

[QUOTE=Soso;141298]Hello,

The short version is: I have no experience working on vessels-- what steps must I take to become a merchant mariner?

The long version: I am a college graduate (business) that is seeking a career change, and as someone who is single (and thus not tied down to anyone or anything) and has an affinity for oceans and travel, I have begun entertaining the idea of becoming a merchant mariner. Unfortunately, I know very little about the process, and by searching for information on the internet, I stumbled upon this forum.

I am interested in deck; my impression of the cons to this, are that deck jobs (generally speaking) are in less demand, career advancement is slower, and that the skills are less transferable to shore jobs–are these statements true? Either way, I am committed to deck, but I want to know all of the downfalls before I jump in.

With deck in mind, I am wondering what would be my best approach to beginning my career change. As a 4-year college graduate, I am turned off by the idea of going back and attending a maritime academy for time’s sake…but not totally opposed if it would be a better long-term move than the equivalent time in experience. Another option I’ve seen is an apprenticeship program through SIU: is this a popular route, and one that would prove wise for a long career? If so, is SIU the way to go, or are there other unions or programs that might be a better bet? If not, I haven’t really seen too many other ways into the sector. Is there a third route?

Finally, I am wondering what the career path is like for someone who begins as an unlicensed OS. Is obtaining licensing something that comes more difficult for those who begin through an apprenticeship (vs a maritime academy)? Are the licensing procedures, themselves, akin to attending the academy in terms of their rigor and duration? I just want to assure myself that I will be able to reach the goals my ambition has set for me…

If you’ve read all of that, I sincerely appreciate your time and patience with me, even if you don’t respond. Any comments or feedback are welcomed. This is not something I’m taking lightly, and also not something I’m looking to do tomorrow … as I’m sure you’ve noticed, I’ve only recently begun pondering this.[/QUOTE]

The search on this site will show you a bunch of threads of others just like yourself who have asked these questions. Hopefully as a college graduate you can navigate the site and get answers to a lot of your questions.

Bottom line… working on a boat is not a job for everyone. If you get seasick… at all… you will be quite miserable and useless. Do you know if you get seasick? You are young and single now… but you may or may not be single in the future… not everyone is ok with their spouse at sea 1/2 their life.

What was your major in college? BTW?

Guys,
I am new to this forum and don’t know how to start a new tread. I hope I can get my answer from here. I have enough engine room sea service time to go to MRT down there in Ft.Lauderdale to take QMED Oiler class, which is 6 weeks engagement. My other option is SMA marine engineering technology program which is 9 month long and awards endorsement rating of Oiler, Junior Engineer, Electrician, Refrigerating Engineer, and Pumpman. I appriciate any advice on which one should I choose, if my ultimate goal is a license and job somewhere in NY harbor?

[QUOTE=TheShipCantSink;141442]Military Sealift Command Hiring Timeline:

Submitted Application: 07/11/14
Interview: TBD?[/QUOTE]

MSC does interviews? I thought it was more like a pulse check…

[QUOTE=captobie;141507]MSC does interviews? I thought it was more like a pulse check…[/QUOTE]

Yep, they do interviews now via Skype, according to the recruiter I have been keeping in touch with. I actually prefer doing interviews; it gives me a chance to explain things on my resume and even mention other things that were beyond the scope of the coverage of the resume/application.

Besides, taking an extra step in the application process is a whole let better on the mind than simply hurrying up and waiting. :smiley:

Soso,

I had classmates at the academy who had already gotten bachelors degrees elsewhere before they decided to undertake a course of study leading to a marine transportation or marine engineering degree. If you want to be a deck officer the good news is your prior academic credit will take care of all the non-nautical course requirements. If you already had trig, calculus, physics and chemistry, even better. Completing the academy’s program of study doesn’t mean you’re ready to go to sea: you still have to pass your third mate or third assistant exams.

If you decide to go to sea at the entry level be prepared to do lots of suck-ass jobs and get the worst shifts and rotations. Eventually you’ll get sea time, the work opportunities will improve and one way or another you’ll slowly upgrade your STCW competencies, which will lead to better pay and more opportunities. It’s impossible to inquire how long it actually takes to become a Master or Chief Engineer or whatever. It’s also useless to ask what the pay is. It all depends.

Google a bunch of stuff and see where your research takes you. Don’t discount the possibility of seeking a work visa in Australia, NZ, Canada or the UK to get into the industry through their systems. The Commonwealth maritime career template in many ways is superior to the US system and you’ll have better transportability for your SIRB/CoC as well as more work and living opportunities. Many foreign companies don’t like to hire Americans (although many do work for foreign companies).

You might also consider looking into commercial diving or offshore work.

Nothing is easy and nothing is free.