Hepatitis Survey

[QUOTE=catherder;84972]Sweet. The bilges were the toilets. Reminds me of my yardbird days. Actually, though, I’m surprised they tested for such things- was that their normal protocol or did some people get sick?[/QUOTE]

I believe it only took one sniff and the job got shut down. They paid pretty dearly when the asbestos lawsuits were flying around. Pretty sure the company is pretty darn careful about exposing any employees to unknown hazards at this point. It was virtually ALL government contracts at the time so way to easy to put in a change order and charge more for things.

An once of prevention is worth a pound of cure, we all should get TWINREX shots (Hep A & B vaccine).

There is a TB vaccine, but I have been advised a against it. It will cause one to fail all the routine TB tests, and then need fancier and more expensive testing every time the issue comes up in the future. But if I am going someplace were TB is a significant risk, I’ll get the shots.

I got exposed to TB in Turkey. So I have a card that I show the doc when I go for a physical. Don’t drink if you are on INH (TB meds) as it will destroy your liver.

[QUOTE=Skoidat69;84998]I got exposed to TB in Turkey. So I have a card that I show the doc when I go for a physical. Don’t drink if you are on INH (TB meds) as it will destroy your liver.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for your most important post. I have no idea how I escaped the dreaded diseases, I simply did and I humbly recognize how lucky I am. Do not be foolish is my best advise.

Hell! I would be happy if the Coast Guard would at least address the potable water issue on tugs. A few years ago, the U.S. Congress ordered the Coast Guard to do something about potable water issues aboard tugs and to date it has largely been ignored by our regulators; thanks for nothing Coast Guard.

[QUOTE=gcsaylor;84990]I believe it only took one sniff and the job got shut down. They paid pretty dearly when the asbestos lawsuits were flying around. Pretty sure the company is pretty darn careful about exposing any employees to unknown hazards at this point. It was virtually ALL government contracts at the time so way to easy to put in a change order and charge more for things.[/QUOTE]

I’m glad I got out of the yards when I did…as a worker, anyhoo

[QUOTE=Lookout;85041]Hell! I would be happy if the Coast Guard would at least address the potable water issue on tugs. A few years ago, the U.S. Congress ordered the Coast Guard to do something about potable water issues aboard tugs and to date it has largely been ignored by our regulators; thanks for nothing Coast Guard.[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately, slow as things move in the regulatory world, you may have to get proactive there…I guess I already know the answer to this, but is your company having you do field tests? You can get a field test kit for potable water to check for coliform and e coli. It’s not hard at all to do. You can also check chlorine/bromine content to see if your dosing is hitting the mark…of course the kit’s not cheap, but neither is having people down and out with Montezuma’s revenge.

Thanks for that catherder. I’ll pay for the field test kit myself if I don’t need any specialized training to interpret the results.

I went to the doc once for my feet. The doc wanted to take pictures bc he had “not seen this since med school” it seems we are exposed to all kinds if mess onboard. A dose of anti-biopics cured my foot fungus. Hepatitis C your screwed for life. If there is a vaccine for hepatitis get
It!!! How many times have I helped the chief deal with the MSD problems!?! Hepatitis is no joke!!!

[QUOTE=Lookout;85608]Thanks for that catherder. I’ll pay for the field test kit myself if I don’t need any specialized training to interpret the results.[/QUOTE]

There’s a number of kits out there, but most are expensive if you want to buy it yourself. Can you get your company to pony up? You can use one kit for several tugs. You just need to buy reagents after that. They are easy to use. My company sells one made by Hach, but there are others. You want to test free and total chlorine, coliform, and ecoli. PM me if you need details.

As others have stated vaccines are available for Hep. A and Hep. B. One noteworthy issue is that the vaccines are a series of shots, a mariner’s schedule and a little mis-communication might have prevented you from getting the complete series. If there is doubt it is possible to do a blood test for antibody tiers and re-vaccinate if necessary.

There is anew recommendation from the CDC for Hep. C screening for all Americans born between 1945 and 1965 that was just publicized. If you are younger but have other risk factors you should discuss them with your doctor.