Heaving Line - With or Without Monkey's Fist?

Here’s on for you. 1999. Gravesend bay NY. Working the deck of a bunker barge. Toss a perfect shot with the heaving line up to the AB on the ship. The AB grabs the line, leans over the rail holding the line high over his head and yells in broken English… “What’s dis for?”

Maybe me giving him the AB rating is a bit of a stretch. Either way a classic moment in my long tugboating career.

Transiting the Panama Canal on a sailing yacht, the Lock crews tossed monkey fists to receive our lines. The fists did not seem to be weighted, but we did cover our solar panels with blankets to cushion any errant throws. Those guys were right on target, amidships right over the boom.

This thread surprised me. From what I gather, the use of a monkey’s fist, or other knot, is vital to the successful landing of a heaving line near its recipient.

If a monkey’s fist is not sufficient for wind conditions, distance, or both, the use of a sand bag, or other approved item, is appropriate. Do not in any circumstance add weight to the knot.

It is also important to check for harbour regulations in regards to the usage of a monkey’s fist.

In regards to the possible manslaughter charges for a death of someone on the receiving end, who would be charged?

Would it be just the deckhand, or would officers on duty be charged, a lesser conviction, for allowing it to happen?

[QUOTE=PineappleOranges;166940]In regards to the possible manslaughter charges for a death of someone on the receiving end, who would be charged?

Would it be just the deckhand, or would officers on duty be charged, a lesser conviction, for allowing it to happen?[/QUOTE]

Who knows? It’s a crap shoot. Best bet is to get in and out of port without incident.

A few years ago a U.S. flag containership in a Persian Gulf port had something fall off a pallet as it was being lifted by the ship’s stores crane. A couple people on the pier were under the load and both were injured. One got a broken leg. Port authorities came and took some of the crew straight to jail including the captain and mate on watch. The authorities eventually let out the captain and mate so the ship could sail. Don’t know the details.

Some ports are worse then others, I would not want to have an incident in India for example.

We would make sandbags from a 1-foot section of retired canvas fire hose, stitch one end up, put a ziplock bag wrapped in duct tape filled with sand inside it, then put a grommet in the top. This worked very well and is almost free. They land “dead” on the deck or bulkhead.
I also like using parachute cord, or small polyester/polyproplyne line if you are heaving larger mooring lines, less likely to get tangled when making up your line, and is lightweight to get more distance. I often see heaving lines made from too thick of line and makes it too heavy to fly.
I often make up my own personal heaving line that I know can make that money shot.

I Always aim above and beyond the linehandlers, all they need is to get a hand on the heaving line, not the monkeyfist or sandbag.
I often stick my arms out when I am recieving, it shows I am ready, and most of the time I catch the heaving line when they throw over my head, and it drapes over my arm. It is not a good idea to “field” a heaving line, youll probably trip over something on the deck and get hurt.

The way you describe catching and aiming when receiving or throwing a heaving line is the most practical, accurate way to do it and most likely the safest.

[QUOTE=acesouthcoast;166953]The way you describe catching and aiming when receiving or throwing a heaving line is the most practical, accurate way to do it and most likely the safest.[/QUOTE]

I hadn’t really thought about it before but you had to be closer to the heaving line with the monkey fist because you had to catch the damm thing before bounced back into the water. The bag is more likely to stay put while the line-handlers meander over to get it.

I seen some hands really ridiculously accurate and get amazing distance using the “bolo” style of throwing, I also saw some hilarious fails. The traditional style works for me just fine.

Back in the day I saw an engineer try to field a heaving line in storm conditions up in the Bering Sea, the deckboss was riled up and sent him a fastball. Just as the engineer looked up it nailed him between the eyes, snapped his glasses in half, and laid him out cold on the deck. Deckboss grabbed me, pulled me away from the rail and said “you didn’t see that”.
That was when we put old nuts and bolts in the “sandbag”. Not a good idea.

I’ve also seen monkeyfists roll off the pier or deck by the weight of the heaving line. So sandbags are clearly better.

Heaving lines made of parachute cord are good, but not really for pulling a heavier hawser because it will bite into your hands. It is mostly used to attach a messenger line that is big enough to put on the capstan if you need to pull in a heavy hawser.