Headhunter took my check

Go for damages and legal fees!

Interested in finding out who the vulture headhunter was myself.

Here’s my old gCaptain post with some job hunting sites to help those looking.

Is that law admiralty law or where is that from?

Compass marine in mobile Alabama is the company. I don’t know how they sleep at night.

My lawyer sent a letter yesterday. I will keep y’all updated.

Bunch of Scumbag taking advantage of the poor mariner. Those A,holes should burn in hell! Thanks to this sorry ass economy.

[QUOTE=Tunafish;50060]Compass marine in mobile Alabama is the company. I don’t know how they sleep at night.[/QUOTE]

I know Rick very well.

I used compass marine about a year ago, they found me a job fast but it was a low paying gig, and possibly the worst company I have ever worked for. what a nightmare!

I [I]almost[/I] did business with them, and/or Seaport Marine. I didn’t realize what they were until they emailed me some file, which was their contract.I ran through your same scenario in my head (shitty job/ getting let go after 1 trip and owing them most of my pay). I almost called them and said HELL NO, but just ignored it and never called them back. Headed out with Higman Marine on Monday. I just had to be patient. Last time I was out of work it was for 7 months. It was only 2 this time, and if I don’t f&%k up, never again until retirement.

[QUOTE=anchorman;50071]I know Rick very well.[/QUOTE]

Is that an endorsement?
Expiring minds want to know.

I laugh everytime I see a job posted by seaport

[QUOTE=tengineer;50374]Is that an endorsement?
Expiring minds want to know.[/QUOTE]

Endorsement = approval or sanction
Anchorman said “never pay for a job” (gCaptain members gave several thanks)
Compass Marine = charging mariners for a job
Rick works for Compass Marine
Rick = charging for job
Anchorman said “never pay for a job” (I am repeating here for clarity and expiring minds)

Anchorman + paying for job + endorsement = not endorsed by anchorman

Anchorman knows Rick very well

Anchorman received several PM on gCaptain regarding this fact

PM were in (2) categories:

1st - category: people that have a problem, considering, or dealt with Compass Marine and Rick - needing information, help, or elaboration from personal association.

2nd - category: expiring minds - lack of deductive reasoning or comprehesion skills to what was posted previously.

[QUOTE=skycowboy;49635]A contract in violation of the law is not a valid contract.

[B]46 USC Section 10505[/B]
(b) A person demanding or receiving from a seaman or an
individual seeking employment as a seaman, remuneration for
providing the seaman or individual with employment, is liable to
the Government for a civil penalty of not more than $5,000.[/QUOTE]

yeah, try schooling a old southern cracker small claims court judge in mobile, al with that one and see how it works out for ya.

judgement for the plantiff (headhunter)

judgement on my credit report. never paid the bastard. filed bankruptcy anyway. judgement worthless now.

here is some lessons learned in the school of hard knocks that i have attended.
first, if you are thinking about using a head hunter do a search on here for headhunter threads.
some good. mostly bad experiences.

headhunter you have to pay gets your contract Noterized in his county by his Notary Public employed by him for a contract designed to shoot you down in flames to a local small claims court judge in his county.

you have no chance and no appeals in small claims court.

some company personnel men have deals with these headhunters where they get untraceable cash kickbacks from the head hunter for every man of his he hires.

once you have made enough money to pay off your fee with the head hunter unless you have really polished the right knobs you are done for.

on to the next succer willing to pay for a job.

you are lucky to get half of what is due to you and good luck finding a “marine” lawyer to take your case even on a referral basis.

“marine lawyers” in the US are only interested in you if you got your fuckin arm ripped off at work.

small claims court in mobile county, mobile, al. goood luck.

yes modern day version of getting shaighaied. been there done that brother. sorry for your luck but cut you losses and never use a head hunter again. things are startin to boom again. anyone that wants a job on a junk ass rust bucket, away from home for months at a time can get one right now. without paying for it.

[QUOTE=OICUR12;50436]things are startin to boom again. anyone that wants a job on a junk ass rust bucket, away from home for months at a time can get one right now. without paying for it.[/QUOTE]

I would love to take a job like that at this point haven’t had any luck finding work.

here’s one

http://jobsite.gcaptain.com/jobs/career/25680/200-Ton-Master-Mate-Towing-North-America

:wink:

[QUOTE=skycowboy;49635].

[B]46 USC Section 10505[/B]
(b) A person demanding or receiving from a seaman or an
individual seeking employment as a seaman, remuneration for
providing the seaman or individual with employment, is liable to
the Government for a civil penalty of not more than $5,000.[/QUOTE]

I guess that might apply if the seaman went to work for the headhunter. It looks to me like the seaman paid the headhunter to supply the name and phone number of someone looking to employ a seaman.

If the captain of the rust bucket stood on the gangway and offered an AB job to the first guy to hand him a stack of bills then maybe that would apply.

As it is, what is the difference between a headhunter and a maritime union? They both supply names or bodies to the actual employer.You can’t get your union dues back just because you got fired by your employer.

Anytime an employer uses the term “we dont need a reason” means you have probably been fired and not let go because they like you and you did an outstanding job. How is that a headhunters fault? My brother used a headhunter a couple times. All they did was set him up with interviews. It was up to him to get the job. The headhunter did not get paid until my brother got the job. I would not use a headhunter that says give me money and I will give you a job

I know Louisiana has laws against agencies snagging checks. But that only applies to agencies in the state of LA. Not all agencies are bad though. I have used 2 outside LA & neither charge you like that or take most of your pay! Seaport Marine actually got me in with Hornbeck almost 5 years ago & I was just laid off there in the Spring. Very good people. I also used Northstar in TX for a 35 day delivery. It sucks paying for a job but there are some good placement firms. Tunafish I hope & pray you we’re able to recover some of that pay! Definitely not right for that take place!!

A lawsuit has been filed by maritime attorney Dennis M O’Bryan, Proctor in Admiralty, in the United States District Court, Southern District of Alabama against certain mariner job placement firms, commonly known as “headhunters”, alleging that the way their fees are collected, as a percentage deduction from wages, is an illegal allotment. The lawsuit seeks recovery of the fees charged against the Mariners wages, together with treble and punitive damages.
Further information can be obtained by contacting Mr. O’Bryan at 248-258-6262.