Harbor Pilot Career Project

Hello, I’m a High school Senior working on a career project designed to give students prospective on what they actually want to do when they get out of high school. Though Gcaptain has been an invaluable tool in this project, this is still my first post, and I [I]think [/I]I put this post in the right place (I never was good with forums.) I recently was accepted into the California Maritime Academy, and though I’m still waiting on a reply from the Naval and Coast Guard Academies I’m rather certain I’m going to end up in the deck watch department somewhere. The more I research the profession of harbor pilot, the more I realize this is a job I’m probably going to get when I’m in my 40s or 50s.

Anywho I chose to to this project on being a Harbor pilot before I knew I was supposed to preform some sort interview with someone in the field. It’d be a lot easier to find a manager to interview rather than a harbor pilot, given there are sixty-ish in San Francisco and I have no idea how I would find one. It doesn’t seem that there are loads of mariners floating about the internet either, thus I find myself here. Nonetheless if you happen to be/have been a Harbor pilot, or some rank of deck watch officer if you could answer these questions I would be so great full.

1A. What job did/do you have?

1. Why is your temperament/personality suited to this career?
  2. What school or training did you go through to get this job?
  3. What things about the job do you like the most? Least?
  4. What is the salary? ( I could understand if you wanted to withhold on this one)
  5. Did the job measure up to the expectations you had before you entered the career?
  6. How does the maritime field work with raising a family? Are more people single, or do they find shore jobs when they decide to get married and have kids?
  7. Realistically, how old is someone who becomes a Harbor pilot?

Thank you again.

It might be better if you step down your project and just do it on being a Ship’s Deck Officer. Harbor Pilot is such a specialized career and it takes just the right circumstances in your life to end up in that position.

Your premise to ‘be a harbor pilot’ is flawed. It assumes you will be (trying to be nice here) ‘cut out for the work’. You first have to go to sea (in whatever particular part of the industry you are going to enter) and gain the knowledge of shipboard operations. Unfortunately, no matter HOW many classes you attend, and how many simulators you go in to… It ain’t like the real thing. On The Job training is what it takes to become proficient at this job (strangely every job!)

There are two parts to being a pilot. The most obvious is being able to draw the chart, and regurgitate the needed info to get a Federal Pilots endorsement. (Then the best part, doing it ALL over again for a political, partisan, biased ‘State Pilot Commission’) The second is being able to go onto a strange bridge, take command as the Pilot, and interact with the BRM team successfully. I know several people who have ‘not made the cut’. It isn’t that easy. If it WAS that easy EVERYONE would be a Pilot! Some Captains (and Mates) are yellers, and screamers. But when you talk to them, they act as if everything is normal. An outside Pilot cannot act this way. He must be able to swing through many different Captains, Mates, Vessel characteristics, and weather variables. Some people CAN’T accept this type of change every job.

Now on to the political part. Even if you are NOT a state licensed Pilot, you will have to join some sort of association. How it works is this: You apply. (It REALLY helps to have a family member, or know someone inside already) IF they accept you to come in and ride, you have to ride MANY trips. If ONE of the guys doesn’t like you Good Bye! If you are seen as not being ‘what they want’ or some other such BS, you’re outtta there. So, it’s not just what YOU want to do, It’s how you ‘fit in’ to the group as a whole. Personality goes a long way. Attitude will thrill kill you. BUT, you must have enough ‘attitude’ to be able to assert yourself when you are performing the job.

Reading LI Domers post reminded me of a comment I heard on this topic.

When entering College, It would be like saying to the admissions clerk: “I am only coming here to take Political Science, because I am going to be the President one day.” And if I don’t get to be president, I will not like it here.

I have to say, you have a better shot at being elected President than getting into a Pilots job. At least when you run for President, you can get elected in a nationwide, free, open, fair election.

Getting ‘elected’ into a pilots organization is like winning the lottery, but only among friends that like you and you have to ‘work’ years for free while apprenticing to do it.

So far, it looks like everyone is just telling this kid how difficult it is to become a pilot instead of answering his questions.

Yes, it’s difficult, but if you want it bad enough, you’ll get there. I am not a pilot but I do know one that might be willing to help you out, but I’d have to ask him. PM me if you’re still in need of assistance.

1A. What job did/do you have?
Maritime Pilot (River & Harbor)

1. Why is your temperament/personality suited to this career?
    Persevering, resolute and devoted.
  2. What school or training did you go through to get this job?
    Merchant Marine Academy. Unlimited Master Mariner License. Own training in ships handling (ships bridge simulator & manned model ships handling). Personal study in ships handling. Showing high interest when navigating with a pilot on board.
  3. What things about the job do you like the most? Least?
    The most: not being at sea for 6 consecutive months. The least: Round the clock piloting hours contributing to fatigue. Economic pressure vs security leading to stress. Lack of support from authorities for decision making, you’re by your own. Supported by ISM form fillers instead of seaman. Profound cultural disparities. Climbing a 20 foot pilot ladder at 02h00 am in a so so weather with all your navigation gears in a camper backpack to then, mountaineering 120 steps to the bridge to be offered a tepid Nestlé coffee with Nestlé coffee creamer mixed with a soup spoon of sugar !
  4. What is the salary? ( I could understand if you wanted to withhold on this one)
    Much less than a baseball player which can hit a home run but not hit a bridge pillar with subsequent oil spill, federal court, jail time, colossal lawyer fees, heavy fines, lost of license and public guilt.
    Did the job measure up to the expectations you had before you entered the career?
    There was a long gone time where we could breathe but nowadays benefits prime to zenith. Ships are now at the maximum length, beam, draft, air draft but at the minimum under keel / bridge / locks / channels (meeting) / docks & harbor room clearance. Virtually impossible to maneuver without questionable electronics. A vessel is intended to carry cargo and make cash … not to be maneuver in confined waters.
  5. How does the maritime field work with raising a family? Are more people single, or do they find shore jobs when they decide to get married and have kids?
    Most married with kids that have to take sleeping pills during day or weekend time when on an expected night shift. And as we learned, not only these kind of pills !
    Realistically, how old is someone who becomes a Harbor pilot ?
    You need experience and maturity. A very high risk taking and demanding job stimulate by adrenalin …

Putting the cart before the horse doesn’t make for an easy ride. Before getting into details that are not applicable to over 90% of mariners, how about just becoming a good (no, EXCELLENT) Mate?

Crawl before you walk. Walk before you run. Run before you get into a contest that you know nothing about. If it was easy, everyone would become a Pilot.

This is exactly what I was trying to get at. Attend CMA and see how you like the world of being a Mariner. It can be a great career field but certainly not the average one.

I am sorry but I forgot to say that without the skills of the brave and valiant Z-Drive Tug Captains, a harbor pilot would be very small and sometimes even smaller !

Thanks.

The job of being a harbor pilot has been a dream of mine since i can remember. I got accepted into TMA but my father would not consign for the loans for me to go. I know a hand full of River Pilots in the louisiana region particularly in New Orleans. Both federal and state licensed pilots. From talking to then its a very hard nut to crack but its definately worth a try. Going to an Academy is a sure way to make sure you are qualified in there eyes. However if you make an effort to work your way up the hawsepipe and they see that you run a boat well enough then u have just as good a shot as any outsider who meets the requirements. Ive been working out on tugboats (towboats) in the Mississippi since i graduated high school about 4 years ago and i have already worked my way into a Mate (Relief Captain) on Inland, Western Rivers, and Near Coastal waters. I was told by one pilot that the day I have my second issue of my Captains license is the day he starts taking me on ships to obtain the extremely hard 1st Class Pilots license with unlimited tonnage which is needed to be accepted as an apprentice pilot! But like i said its a hard nut to crack but well worth it both pay and schedule wise as these fellas are make 200-500k a yr making short trips in conjested waterways only working either 7/7 or 14/14. Dont let anybody shoot u down everybody tries too! I said i would be a captain in 5 years from being a greenhorn and everyone laughed cuz i didnt know shit. Now im running the show.

btw Im only 21 about to turn 22. But if ur looking to be a harbor pilot id say go to the maritime academy

Thank you all so much for your insight!

I did my homework and had a hunch that being a Harbor Pilot was a long shot, but it’s starting to sound like a much longer shot than I was expecting. Nonetheless I will keep my head up with that as a long term goal, but heck, I’m 18 who knows where I’m going to end up.