Greetings all! Info request from a newb!

Greetings to all,

Just recently came across this website and have been lurking for the last couple of weeks now. I have to say, this site has a wealth of info that can’t be found anywhere else on the net. I appreciate the post from people actually working in the offshore industry and their willingness to help out the newb. A heart felt "Thank you " to you all. I currently work in commercial construction and have been for the last twelve years. Unfortunately, this industry has taken a severe beating in the last few years with no end in site. Having contemplated the reality’s of this industry and where it’s headed, I am looking to change my career into something I already have experience in and what I actually enjoyed doing. That being the offshore industry.

I worked In the GOM back in the mid 90’s as an entry level deck hand on crew/utility vessels (Gross Tonnage - 99). I worked my way up to an UnLicndEngr. (Total Days 213 - 12 Hr days - GOM) . My experience in the GOM was favorable and I excelled in my duties and accepted many awards for safety and performance. I’m just starting out on this new venture and would very much appreciate any feed back you may have.

First and foremost, Is 44 years of age to old to start a new career in the offshore industry and would It cause offshore companies to not want to hire me?.
In other words, Am I wasting my time?

Is employment with the container/tanker/freight lines really that hard to find and Is it worth pursuing for someone with the little sea time I currently hold?

Having read the many post on this site, I have become aware of the overseas opportunity’s and more specifically the container/tanker/freight lines of which I never contemplated before. Much gratitude that I found this site!!!

Will they even consider my sea time having been so long ago?

What would be the best avenue and or endorsements to get that would make me more marketable to the container/tanker/freight lines. FYI, If all goes well, I will be attending Sea School in June for my AB/Lifeboat/Etc with regards to employment opportunity’s in the GOM (possibly supply vessels).

Again, Thanks to all the knowledgeable posters here, It’s much appreciated.

Best regards,

If you get AB/LB then you should be good to go but I would also focus on getting RFPNW as well which require onboard assessments be completed

Don’t sweat the age thing.

Show up, do your job, take on responsibility.

No problem.

Thank you c captain. I will definitely look into the RFPNW.

Thank you water and you’re right, not gonna sweat it. “JUST DO IT”! … :slight_smile:

I don’t think your seatime will be usable for upgrading as it isn’t what the CG considers recent. Don’t worry about your age. Start knocking on doors with a positive attitude dude!

Your previous seatime should be usable but you will have to get at least 90 days of recency (within the last 5 years) before you can use it towards a higher rating.

Your prior seatime should count toward AB and/or QMED, but you might also need some recent time too (perhaps something like 90 days within the last three years). You should check with the Coast Guard. You might be better off to just go knock on doors and see if you can find a company that will hire you first, and then send you to school later at their expense. Companies that have their own schools, like ECO, might be good places to start knocking on doors.

Do you already have a TWIC card? Passport?

[QUOTE=tugsailor;67827]Your prior seatime should count toward AB and/or QMED, but you might also need some recent time too (perhaps something like 90 days within the last three years). You should check with the Coast Guard. You might be better off to just go knock on doors and see if you can find a company that will hire you first, and then send you to school later at their expense. Companies that have their own schools, like ECO, might be good places to start knocking on doors.

Do you already have a TWIC card? Passport?[/QUOTE]

Many thanks Captain Crew!!, I’m working on that now. Had my pic’s done Thursday for TWIC/passport. Filling out most of the paperwork as we speak. I guess I need to put off the school thing until I get my 90 days logged as you suggested, not to mention that they may not let me even attend unless I have some current time under my belt. Got my packet from Sea School last week and I’ve spoken to a few people up there, I may have not mentioned that my sea time is somewhat antiquated. Much appreciation to you sir for pointing me in the right direction. You saved me from allot of grief, lol!!! If it’s not to much to ask, What does ECO stand for? Would very much like to contact these folks to inquire about any job opportunities they may have available, also, what’s your opinion of SeaCore?

From what I understand, SeaCore is the company that bought out JOHN E. GRAHAM & SONS back in the 90’s. This was the company I had my sea time with.

Much gratitude to all the folks that replied to my post, hope that I can return the favor some day!! … :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=seadog6608;67825]I don’t think your seatime will be usable for upgrading as it isn’t what the CG considers recent. Don’t worry about your age. Start knocking on doors with a positive attitude dude![/QUOTE]

Haha!! That I can do seadog!!! Thank you!!!

Barney,

Unfortunately, I don’t know anything about Seacor. Undoubtedly, there are some Seacor people here on gcaptain. You might want to inquire about whether anyone that you knew at John Graham still works for Seacor, and whether Seacor has your prior employment records from John Graham.

ECO is at www.chouest.com

It takes a few weeks to get the TWIC card. The passport isn’t necessary for most jobs, but you should have one.

I don’t know whether you can do the AB course before you have all the seatime and recency for AB. Since you actually sailed as an unlicensed engineer, you might also want to look into getting QMED. I suggest that you check with the Coast Guard and the school about all of these issues.

Seacor still has all the sea time records from Graham. Just call them up and they will send them to you.

After you get you’re twic just head down to the bayou. If you end up at a company that pays for training great, but if you end up at a company that dosent pay for training you can usually get Fletcher community college in Houma to give you in state tuition by them charging you’re company who then takes it out of you’re check. In state tuition is ridiculously cheap. Last time I checked they charged $250 for the AB class

Somebody correct me if I’m wrong, but after you get some recent time because you have sea time before 2000, I think that’s the year, you can use that to go straight to AB unlimited. It might also let you skip having to deal with the RFPNW assessments.

I worked on a few vessels in the early 90’s and I’m in the same boat as you (no pun intended) only I’m quite a few years older than you. I’m going to hit up companies in the Great Lakes area first since I’m in Ohio but if no luck here I am going to try and get into an STCW BST course somewhere if I can. I’ve contacted the CG regarding prior sea time and it seems 5 years is the recency max. It took me 1 week to get the TWIC card but still waiting for my MMD. If nothing pans out up here, I’ll be headed down south to knock on some doors in LA pretty soon. Best of luck to you!

[QUOTE=Barney Smith;67833]Many thanks Captain Crew!!, I’m working on that now. Had my pic’s done Thursday for TWIC/passport. Filling out most of the paperwork as we speak. I guess I need to put off the school thing until I get my 90 days logged as you suggested, not to mention that they may not let me even attend unless I have some current time under my belt. Got my packet from Sea School last week and I’ve spoken to a few people up there, I may have not mentioned that my sea time is somewhat antiquated. Much appreciation to you sir for pointing me in the right direction. You saved me from allot of grief, lol!!! If it’s not to much to ask, What does ECO stand for? Would very much like to contact these folks to inquire about any job opportunities they may have available, also, what’s your opinion of SeaCore?

From what I understand, SeaCore is the company that bought out JOHN E. GRAHAM & SONS back in the 90’s. This was the company I had my sea time with.[/QUOTE]

Sorry, I was directing that to tugsailer.

[QUOTE=jarchack;67874]I worked on a few vessels in the early 90’s and I’m in the same boat as you (no pun intended) only I’m quite a few years older than you. I’m going to hit up companies in the Great Lakes area first since I’m in Ohio but if no luck here I am going to try and get into an STCW BST course somewhere if I can. I’ve contacted the CG regarding prior sea time and it seems 5 years is the recency max. It took me 1 week to get the TWIC card but still waiting for my MMD. If nothing pans out up here, I’ll be headed down south to knock on some doors in LA pretty soon. Best of luck to you![/QUOTE]

Thanks jarchack, Same to you sir!!!

Barney,

If I were in your shoes I’d probably submit both applications for the TWIC card and the MMD as OS / Wiper / FH right away.

I think Jemplayer suggests an excellent strategy regarding getting a job and going to school.

Once you have the TWIC card, you might want to just go to Louisiana and knock on doors (you don’t need to wait for the MMD). Companies that operate crewboats and/or other vessels under 100 tons don’t require MMD’s. The Coast Guard does not require MMD’s or engineer licenses for vessels under 100 tons. Most of those under 100 ton vessels use a combination deckhand/engineer. These 100 ton vessels aren’t necessarily small anymore, many are over a 150 long and over 4000 HP. Seatime on a crewboat would take care of your recency requirements, and you should be able to use that seatime toward an AB card and/or a QMED card,

The successor to your old employer, SEACOR, operates crewboats — and THEY ARE HIRING — so that might be a good door to knock on first.

Best of luck,