Green Methanol

Building a fleet of methanol enabled feeders:

DELIVERY OF SINGAPORE’S FIRST DEDICATED METHANOL BUNKERING TANKER:

MT MAPLE , classed by Bureau Veritas, is the first dedicated methanol bunkering tanker to operate in the port of Singapore.

Source: https://www.manifoldtimes.com/news/singapore-gets-its-first-dedicated-methanol-bunkering-tanker-mt-maple/

People have been racing powerboats and race cars on methanol for a very long time.
Would have been banned long ago if it was deadly to work with.

1 Like

Maersk appears to agree with you:

So does a lot of major shipping companies and others involved in the “green” transition in shipping.

Which have to come first, the “chicken (methanol powered ships) or the egg” (Bunkering facilities) that is the question:

One vote for Methanol:

Get your fireproof undies and flashproofs (like those who race methanol fueled race cars and powerboats)

Methanol is widely used around the world and for many purposes:

Methanol Fuel is produced all over the world from various feed stocks by various methods.
It is classified accordingly:

The largest producers and consumers are:

Green methanol may even be made from CO2, when using renewable power from hydro, wind, sun or nuclear powered generation:

1 Like

Apparently not everybody understand how dangerous this stuff is

Or maybe they have done their homework before putting their money into building such ships??

Maybe they don’t have a choice,
Maybe LPG and ammonia are worse
and nuclear is too poltically charged

I have had to try and extinguish a methanol fire on a 'rod and the flash effect when it comes into contact with exhaust stubs is horrifying.
Lucky there is nothing hot in an engine room :slight_smile:

They had to choose the best of a bad lot.
Glad i’ii never have to fight a methanol fire in a confined space.

But

I’m sure they will make it work somehow, don’t want to waste all that money

You may be right:

What ever happened to biodiesel ?

Too expensive ?

Well ammonia kills you pretty quick if the leak is bad. A bad methanol leak will just have you go blind (assuming you dont ignite it)

Nuclear is a great option but everyone is reluctant about going that route.

1 Like

So according to DW scribblers(experts) vessel in a below link is a TANKER , that morphed further to container. That is fine with me.

Tanker or not it is burning methanol and green activists are extatic seeing such profound change in fuel. That is fine with me too.

Out of sheer curiosity I have made i brief google search and did some simple basic math basis CORN .

So it turns out acc to my calculations from one Ha (hectare) of arable land we get abt 3 Mt of methanol . Going forward with the vessel burning 210 mt of such fuel per day we need abt 70 Ha of arable land for one day consumption or 7000 ha for a 100day consumption for one vessel , what means 700 000 Ha for 100 vessels in 100 days.

Are we sure we have enough land for such schemes??? I may be wrong of course so engfineers are warmly invited to correct my calculations.

“Green” Methanol doesn’t have to be made from corn, or any other food crops. Any kind of biomass will do.
Even captured CO2 can be used as feedstock for production of Methanol:

Source: A step forward for “green” methanol and its potential to deliver deep GHG reductions in maritime shipping  - International Council on Clean Transportation

Methanol is also a byroduct of pulp production:

I’m sure you know that Maersk is not run by a bunch of idiots that doesn’t know the pros and cons for the various marine fuel alternatives that is being proposed.

PS> If they don’t know they can aford to hire the best expertise available to advice them.

I am 100% certain that Big Blue is not run by idiots having served under their time chartered container vessels 3+ years combined.

I am also aware about your superb apprehensive faculties, which in this particular case should detect , that my comment does neither criticise biofuels nor question their viability.

Having said that and recognising that biomas requires land ( i may be wrong of course) my question regarding availability of land to meet the bunkering requirements of lets say 120 000 ships world wide seems to me still valid .

And be so kind to point in my comment , that i claimed methanol " must be made" from corn?. I used corn as it was the first result from my google search with lots of data anabling calculation .

I have asked a simple question and have not written a dissertation on corn usability as biofuel in order to piss off histerical green fanatics, who are prepared to wipe out 3/4 of human population in order to prove their point and save the planet.

Cheers.

Biomass can be a lot of things, like; food waste, wood wast, agricultural waste and even human waste.
That is plentyful resources that may even solve other problems for humanity (and the planet).

More of a problem is developing enough renewable energy to convert all that into green methanol, and/or other e-fuels:

1 Like