General awareness of the USMM

I can’t believe they don’t have a program to help you guys transition, if wanted. Come out with a turnkey AB/qmed at the very least and some placement. The big American flag waving yeehaw 'Mercian screaming eagle company owners should be jumping over all this to employ vets as easily as possible.

Honestly, quite a few of the former military mariners I’ve sailed with have been a drag on their departments unless they were lucky enough to be able to do the one single thing the Navy trained them to do really well. Once they’re out of that comfort zone, their competence seems to range anywhere from average to apprentice-like.

That’s not to say there haven’t been some really on-the-ball former military out here, but…I haven’t seen 'em, and I don’t see why companies would be all that enthusiastic about the rest. At least, any more so than any other prospects.

I would think that increasing awareness that much would depress wages. If you’re in the navy you should be come into contact with the civilian maritime world often enough. If it doesn’t occur to you, “hey wonder what it’d be like to be an engineer on a tug” or whatever roughly equivalent civilian position to you…well that’s on you.

They should at least get everyone approved for BST no matter what you did though. Someone in the Navy really needs to get the schools approved by CG so it just transfers right over.

There you go, don’t go negative, it only hurts in the long run. Your still gonna get high wages. America can have a large fleet again and still pay good wages. By closing off awareness you take us away from the protection of the knowledgable public. If Americans know that USMM are good for America than it will stay. It’s all about Americans building and operating American vessels.

The army’s watercraft operator 88K program has been discussed on this site before. While this information is late for those who are getting out, it may be helpful for any readers who are reading this thread before going into the service.

IIRC, all training is USCG approved, and it is possible to come out of the program with a 200 MOT license. Nice way to step into the civilian world with a minimum of hassle.

http://www.armystudyguide.com/content/Prep_For_Basic_Training/army_mos_information/watercraft-operator-88k-2.shtml

I work with a Sea Scout group, and have passed the info on to them.

I suppose I’ll have to schedule an appointment with The high school career counselor and with the local community college to see if they have any ideas too.

[QUOTE=TrainMan;143321]You’re taking on a monster. The forces against the USMM involve involve a large, well oiled, concerted effort in print, news, and online. Anything of significance that has the possibility of swaying the public mind is going to attract the ire of the insidious cancer that means to destabilize, deconstruct, and off shore every good thing about this country. It’s the way things are. It’s what stops me from moving forward. If I can think of a way that makes the common American feel the need for a strong merchant fleet, then I would be all over this because the hard truth is undermining the Jones Act will provide lower shipping costs. That doesn’t bother most people. They feel no shame shopping at WalMart, going to the Caribbean on vacation, or watching their neighbors go without insurance; the majority only cares about themselves and if that means someone has to suffer so they can save a few pennies than so be it.

I’m on your side. I just don’t understand what message you mean to share with the world and feel by slightly arguing with you I might get a stronger sense what you’re on about.[/QUOTE]

Put that together with the fact that all these companies want to maintain their low profile (God forbid someone takes a REAL close look at operations) and stay out of public scrutiny, you’ve got a long row to hoe.

[QUOTE=LI_Domer;143456]They should at least get everyone approved for BST no matter what you did though. Someone in the Navy really needs to get the schools approved by CG so it just transfers right over.[/QUOTE]

I believe they have, or are working on it. A recently retired USCG Master Chief (his last station was in DC at headquarters) I know got all the USCG training STCW approved and was all over the Navy Master Chiefs to do the same. He also used to advise all the people below him to get STCW training and get licensed before separation.

• Updated - - -

[QUOTE=Traitor Yankee;143334]I’m currently putting together a power point for some high school engineering classes on DP and offshore operations.[/QUOTE]

I would love a copy of that when you are finished…

[QUOTE=trcb89;143431]I go out of the marines just under three months ago and when i went through SEPS there was nothing on the USMM and the person running the class looked at me cross eyed when I told him that pursuing a career as a Merchant Mariner was what i intended to do. He had no idea what I was talking about.[/QUOTE]

That’s a shame. So nothing’s changed, there. No excuse for that considering we have a local SIU hall right here in Norfolk, but then again, I was underwhelmed by those guys when I joined…

[QUOTE=catherder;143597]That’s a shame. So nothing’s changed, there. No excuse for that considering we have a local SIU hall right here in Norfolk, but then again, I was underwhelmed by those guys when I joined…[/QUOTE]

Underwhelmed by who the SIU? If so why? I only ask because I just got accepted into their UA program and have done some digging and have heard more bad than good from unbiased sources?

[QUOTE=trcb89;144073]Underwhelmed by who the SIU? If so why? I only ask because I just got accepted into their UA program and have done some digging and have heard more bad than good from unbiased sources?[/QUOTE]

you came to the right place if you are looking for answers from unbiased sources…

[QUOTE=trcb89;144073]Underwhelmed by who the SIU? If so why? I only ask because I just got accepted into their UA program and have done some digging and have heard more bad than good from unbiased sources?[/QUOTE]

SIU has its share of problems, but the training opportunities are nothing to sneeze at. However long you decide to stay in, make sure you’re taking advantage of the benefits you can get. The way I usually put it is that SIU is using me, and I’m using them.

I’ll drop you a line about it, I am giving my first talk with it Tuesday and plan to tweak it here or there afterwards.