Gasoline shortage on the USEC

What is bad news for some may be good news for others:

And may get the hackles up on others:

Well considering there’s about 10 Jones Act tankers in lay up, one can understand why waivers would piss people off.

3 Likes

So, how did they manage to move product before Bill Gates?

1 Like

Knowledgeable staff, gauges, and hand operated valves. Like everything else, they turned it into a video game for some kid to run from a control room. There is nobody left that knows which hand wheels to spin.

2 Likes

The pipeline is shut down for a couple of days and the east coast is crippled? I’m sure terrorist around the world took notes on this.

1 Like

Bill Gate’s divorce didn’t cause the pipeline problem. Or did it??

2 Likes

So where is the audit trail of software backups?
Critical infrastructure and it appears no rules so its all on the internet ready to be hacked.
Sounds like they were asking for it and response even more pathetic.

And, apparently, no hardware backups. They pumped product for years without an internet connection.

I wonder if the hack was aimed at the accounting software rather than system controls. I would like to hear why a human cannot open or shut a valve and push a pump start or stop button. Does a computer load or catch a (pipeline) pig?

3 Likes

I had the same thoughts, but I worked on tankers without a control room (I hate those).

1 Like

There is at least 4 of them right here in my particular harbor. We dont need JA waivers.

CALL THE HALL!

1 Like

I’ll bet my next paycheck that not one of them moves from where they are right now.

2 Likes

From what I have read the hack was on the business side of things and not on the actual pipeline control side. It sounds like the pipeline controls are not hooked up to the internet.

But if you dont know who needs what type of fuel and how much of said fuel then then it makes it hard to tell the pipeline side what to do.

This is my understanding of what is going on.

1 Like

Another interesting thing the CP does is not use pigs. They load one product right behind another and then they pump what they call the “transmix” into a separate tank at the tank farm. That transmix goes to foundries and power plants, asphalt production, bunker fuel, and other applications that just need some fuel to burn.

1 Like

Then you answer the phone and write down the order. It is safe to assume both customer and supplier have access to telephones, pencils, and a yellow legal pad.

2 Likes

That is interesting, I guess the labor costs eliminated save more than the price reduction on the “transmix” product.

I prefer a Big Chief tablet and a box of crayons.

Ignatius taped a sheet of Big Chief paper on which he had printed in crayon: TWELVE INCHES (12) OF PARADISE

2 Likes

Worked many oil barges. It ain’t that hard. Turned quite a few valves in my time, and made some coin doing it. Captain was a much better job, but tankerman wasn’t bad on the way up. Had a clue what needed to be done. Quite alright with that. My dudes were spot on because I walked more than many a mile in their shoes.

Map of the pipeline:

2 Likes

My guy from Outer Banks called me to make sure I filled up, Hatteras was out as well as many other stations. PANIC people. My new vehicle from Nov 2019 has about 2100 or so miles with half a tank of gas. By Friday this shit will be. over, please people, get over it. Media is half the cause of all this apeshit movement/behavior. I was more concerned about toilet paper. as these folks encourage me to take a crap more than drive.

did Telsa stock go up?