Future of ships

Cyber security is the main concern for those who are working on the development of autonomous ships:

(Don’t know how well this article in Nynorsk will translate to English)

Rolls-Royce open the first Ship Intelligence Centre in Aalesund, Norway:

Are these ships a step too far?

Eight life boats per side, 5,000 plus passengers, maybe 2,500 crew.

At 50% per side that means each boat has to take ~450 people, basically boarding a jumbo.

Thanks.

Sounds like they’re planning on not sinking and regulators are failing at oversight. The second one is a result of flags of convenience and our bullshit system of classification societies.

2 Likes

According to SOLAS the requirement is only 75% coverage in life boats. (37.5% each side)
The rest can be by life rafts, (mostly for crew) for a total of 100% POB

Key specs for the new Seaside EVO class are as follows:
Length/beam: 1,060 ft. / 134 ft.
Gross tonnage: 169,380 GRT
LSA: 7,280

37.5% lifeboat capacity, each side: 2730 pers.
Divided in 8 lifeboats = 342 pers/boat (Min. required)

I cannot find any data for the actual lifeboats on the MSC Seaside, but other “Mega Cruise ships” have lifeboat with a capacity of 370 pers.:
https://www.rina.org.uk/mega-lifeboat.html

These mega ships are basing their safety plan on “Safe Return to Port”:

Which place great onus on crew capability and training:

PS> I have raised this issue in earlier posts, but not received much response

So in other words, scapegoat the mariners for poor preparation and training when the eventual mega disaster happens.

3 Likes

That is about it, I believe.

We can only hope that WHEN the inevitable occure the ship will sink on even keel AND take it’s time about it.
Better still, reach safe port with all hands alive and the next day’s headlines are about non-functioning toilets and refunds.

We just had a near miss, but a “major catastrophe” was averted by someone who managed to put the ship on the rocks at just about the only place where it could not fully capsize, or sink.

Very well done by someone, considering that there were no power, or means of propulsion at the time.
No, his name was NOT Capt. Schettino. He goes by many names and is almighty to his believers.

1 Like

Just got the spade out and digging a canal to my place, now I just need to mess with the autopilot.

1 Like

It appears it is not only on this forum where there are a lot of “not in my llifetime” deniers of the development happening in clear view in front of their eyes.
Here is a report from Splash 24/7 today:

Maersk is obviously not of that opinion, despite (or because of??) suffering badly from a recent cyber attack:

For the Maersk story, I keep hearing the “Bob’s” from Office Space in my head.

“Oh yeah, we’re bring in some entry-level graduates, farm some work out to Singapore, that’s the usual deal.”

3 Likes

Seems strange at first, LNG powered coal carrier?

Environmentally friendly LNG powered Coal Carrier DOES sound like a contradiction in terms.
If it was up to President Trump, would it have been the other way around??

Then there’s wingsail assist tankers…

http://oceanfoil.com/

http://www.hellenicshippingnews.com/bmt-report-oceanfoil-aerofoil-technology-achieves-average-14-fuel-and-emissions-savings/

The Dutch wants to be in on the act:

The Chinese are already well under way with their development of autonomous ships:

Maybe they will be first with a truly ocean going unmanned ship?:
http://www.marinemec.com/news/view,opinion-will-china-be-the-first-to-build-an-unmanned-ship_48654.htm

In the run-up to publishing the annual Lloyd’s List Top 100 most influential people in shipping on December 15, here are the movers and shakers of the year in maritime next-gen tech 2017:

Rolls-Royce Marine’s Oscar Levander is topping the list, while NMK Aalesund are in 6th place.
It is also noticeable how many Finns are on this short list.

A bit of a tangent but somewhat applicable. Here drive mapping programs (a form of autonomous route planning, if you will) directed drivers into smoke and flames. Imagine if these were autonomous cars without drivers. The future is gonna be hot!

Ye of little faith. The Finnwegians will have this sort of thing completely in control with a few lines of code and ex bank tellers at their command stations monitoring social media. The future is bright.

3 Likes

Finnwegians, Norfinnegans. Potatoe, potato

2 Likes