EL FARO Tragedy: Does Age Really Matter?

DC-3s flying with no original parts.

But with original airframe!

Of course all the rotable bits are overhauled but the last new airframe was delivered in 1946.

Also the B-52. In service when I was, and that was a loooong time ago :slight_smile:

There is a probably apocryphal story that at one point a B-52 pilot commanded the aircraft (airframe) that his grandfather had.

Cheers,

Earl

You mean no "aftermarket" frame members were manufactured after 1946?

Why bother, there are still thousands sitting around in hangars all over the world.

DC-3s and other older aircraft have had their inspections for airworthiness changed over the years as problems have been discovered. There are pages and pages of the these ADs (airworthiness directives) you can look up if you are bored.

Here is a sample:
DCA/DC3/145 Centre Section Front Spar Caps - Inspection
Applicability: All model DC-3 and C-47 series aircraft.
Requirement: 1. Inspect upper caps for cracking in area of landing gear cut-out corners.
2. Inspect rear cap in area of nacelle seal attachment screw holes using X-ray
method.
Compliance: 1. Cut-out corners - at intervals not exceeding 300 hours TIS.
2. Seal attachment - at intervals not exceeding 1500 hours TIS.
Effective Date: 30 November 1960

I can assure you no one was using an X-Ray machine on DC-3s in 1939.
In contrast to the El Faro, there are a lot of DC-3s, to legally fly them they get inspected every year for private use and every 100 hours for commercial use, and the issues found are fed back to the FAA who makes decisions about what needs checking and fixing for the entire fleet.
If there were thousands of El Faros around and they all got audio-gauged, ultrasounded, magnafluxed, and so on frequently and all the problems found on the fleet were fed to the USCG and resulted in fixes being required for the whole fleet, you would have the floating equivalent of 80 year old aircraft being used safely. Note that for pressurized aircraft, it has been generally accepted nothing can make them safe after X number of pressure cycles and they must be retired.

• and yes, DC-3s not on the USA registry anymore probably get flown with minimal maintenance in some thrid world dump until they fall apart.

I flew on one in the Philippines sometime in the late 1970’s. The following was painted on the fuselage near the door: “This aircraft has been properly inspected and certified”.
Nice to know.

I wasn’t aware of that.

Good point. The result of the El Faro’s inspection and upgrade regimen can be compared to that of a third world country flying old aircraft until they fall apart and crash. In the case of the El Faro, run it until it sinks.
The FAA’s system did fail in the case of the Chalk Mallard that lost a wing near Miami beach. I used to fly them between Government Cut and Bimini. That tragedy made me thank my lucky stars I wasn’t onboard when it happened.

Chalk Airlines did some creative half-assed repairs and the FAA did not catch them. A friend of mine flew on the same plane about a week before.
This was a very old airplane used in a harsh salt water environment well past the lifespan her builders ever envisioned and maintained with some blind rivets and caulk where much more was needed. Sound familiar?

All too familiar. For the next leg of my trips I would fly with barefoot Rosy in her Maule Rocket. I wonder if she’s still around.