ECO Research Vessels?

Hey y’all,

I just got hired on with ECO. I am going to be placed on one of their research vessels as an AB. Anyone work on them currently or in the past care to share your experiences?

Thank you

I assume you’re asking about one of the ice breakers, did they give you a vessel name? I haven’t worked on them, but everyone that I know who’s sailed on them has enjoyed their time there. Different type of work, and different kind of people. You should have a good time. It’s better than going back and worth from Fourchon to a rig.

I have limited information. No name, class, or location yet. ECO asked if I had a passport and could get government clearance, I said yes. They said come in on Monday haha. I have been persistent in trying to get on with ECO so I said yes!

You may be headed to Africa…or somewhere near china…the clearance would indicate that is.

I think the only “research vessel” that requires a clearance is the Sea Venture out of California.

[QUOTE=“TOWBOATTED;125238”]Hey y’all, I just got hired on with ECO. I am going to be placed on one of their research vessels as an AB. Anyone work on them currently or in the past care to share your experiences? Thank you[/QUOTE]

You may suddenly find out your going to another boat if you keep enquiring or your service will no long be needed.

Nathaniel B. Palmer?

A quick Google found her.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nathaniel_B.Palmer%28icebreaker%29

If you have not passed the physical from Dr. Duet you are not going anywhere yet.

Thanks for the responses everyone. I was expecting to get on a supply boat, but this sounds very exciting! I can’t wait!

Are they still taking AB’s or wait till the first of the year?

Call them now we are still hiring.

Do they hire vacation reliefs or just straight rotation?

Asking b/c I have a flexible schedule but can’t commit to a rotation for a couple of years.

I am no expert. I went up several times this last month. I watched a quite a few get hired during that time. Some of these people had been waiting for a long time. There is always a chance they will hire on the spot. As far as next year I have heard they will be bringing on a lot of new people as they splash new boats. When or how many I am not sure. PM me for more info on my experience if you want.

That’s going to be hard. As far as I know they don’t just hire vacation reliefs. Yes we are building boats and have a bunch in the works now. They will be hiring a lot in the next months pretty consistently. But don’t think a majority of the new hires will be going on these boats. Doesn’t work like that down here, sometimes is does but not often.

Yeah, I kinda suspected so based on what I’d been reading here, but thought I’d ask anyway. Appreciate the reply.

Good luck man and don’t give up there are plenty of oppurtunities.

It wont be icebreakers. No security clearance needed for them.

If the word Security Clearance was said, there are a few vessels that need them. There are 3 vessels I know for sure require them. Not sure about the tugboats though.Location should be Port Hueneme, CA, Philippines or some place in the Med.

What about that turd in Va?