Falling upwards is a time-honored tradition in many trades.
Pretty simple & you would have figured it out if you thought about it hard enough. 3 companies had to pay the victim & TDW didn’t pay the largest portion. In situations like these, companies only want witnesses & defendants speaking via their own lawyers after being coached on what to say. If he was cut lose, Capt Lachney “could” have blamed the equipment, the Masters turnover, a faulty maintenance program, the office, etc. & it would have been worse for the company. The company treated him really good & he treated the company really good. It’s how corporate American works in countless industries if the bean counters say it’s worth it.
Also, the man has passed away along with the Master. Lachney was a soft spoken, pleasant man who was considered a terrific boat handler & good mariner otherwise.
I like how some weak moderator deleted “both of my comments. On of which was only “ So that means you have no clue of what actually goes on in that evolution. Roger.” Another reason why this forum is dying.
Well, that’s a fine lot of lawyerly speculation. I did not follow your link to the story, and therefore formed no rationale as to why things played out as they did. Your post alone was the basis for my (mis)understanding. What I do know is that in my fifty years going to sea, I never caused anyone to be harmed, because I kept my eyes open.
I think we’ll survive having our posts deleted.
I’m sure you would want your post saying that you look around before making a move deleted because it emphasizes you have no idea what a vessel like this even looks like or the job it performs.
I spent a couple of months surveying vessels going offhire after the Macondo disaster. Seen plenty of those boats, topside and below.
Edit: it was a temporary job through Sabine Surveyors
This question came up years ago when my union was in contract talks. It came to light that only once in Canada’s history had any mariner lost his certificate (licence).
How embarrassing for that guy.