Do you need to post your passport mmd?

[QUOTE=New3M;14213]why? i just got a new mmc, but only because i got a pic endorsement. so, my license is still the same, even the expiration date, and the only difference is that i have a pic now, which would only be on my z-card under the old system anyway. so what’s wrong with posting my full size license? obviously i would let the captain decide, but i don’t see the problem with it.[/QUOTE]

See 46 CFR 10.205(d). When your MMC was issued, the old license became invalid. Also, USCG field inspectors have access to the database that tracks valid licenses, and foreign port state often inquire as to the validity of a specific document. The old license may look valid on its face, but it’s not that hard to ascertain it is no longer valid because a new MMC was issued.

The requirement to post doesn’t come from the Coast Guard. It’s in the U.S. Code (46 USC7110) and only Congress can remove the posting requirement.

[QUOTE=dougpine;14221]This raises a good question for us DE and Assessor types. What number do we now use when we sign someone off on an assessment control sheet? The sheet calls for our license number. Do we still have one? I’ve emailed NMC asking what number to use (mariner number, reference number or whatever they’re calling it now) but I haven’t heard back.[/QUOTE]

Use your reference number. The intent was to determine if the person signing was an approved DE, and the reference number does that. The sarcastic comment below yours is right, we (me) overlooked this. On the other hand, yours is the first comment I’ve heard pointing out the oversight, so it doesn’t appear to be a big problem. It will be fixed when we revise NVIC 4-01 (in progress).

Concerning MMC’s -

Brand new MMC’s have a clear plastic pocket inside the back cover for the TWIC.

(Open the license rack…close the license rack…open the license rack.)

[QUOTE=john;14166]Yes, Norleen L. Schumer of MaritimeLicensing.com sent us this from the USCG:[/QUOTE]

Only domestically.

Note the last line on the updated letter (that was probably already online when the original post was made here).

“As a security measure, mariners should not post their credentials while the vessel is visiting foreign ports.”

https://www.uscg.mil/nmc/announcements/pdfs/posting_mmc_on_vessel.pdf

Color photo copies. I haven’t heard a complaint from the USCG yet.

[QUOTE=DamnYankee;192406]Color photo copies. I haven’t heard a complaint from the USCG yet.[/QUOTE]

We usually post the Merchant Mariner Certificates available on Homeport. No one has ever complained either.

[QUOTE=jdcavo;44830]Use your reference number. The intent was to determine if the person signing was an approved DE, and the reference number does that. The sarcastic comment below yours is right, we (me) overlooked this. On the other hand, yours is the first comment I’ve heard pointing out the oversight, so it doesn’t appear to be a big problem. It will be fixed when we revise NVIC 4-01 (in progress).[/QUOTE]

It may not be a big problem, but in my experience it is a question that pops up pretty regularly. Smart folks use their reference numbers (reasoning that they do not change); some folks write-in both their reference numbers and document numbers; a few people I’ve seen use just their document numbers. I’ve seen the question arise probably 20 times in various scenarios over the past five or six years.

@jdcavo (or anyone else that may know)… do you have the updated link for this policy letter regarding posting licenses? Seem to recall something about copies of the STCW endorsements page instead of any other pages, but I can’t find the letter on the new NMC website, and a search there for the old file name comes up empty

http://www.letmegooglethat.com/?q=posting_mmc_on_vessel.pdf

Smartass… already did that. Came up with everything but that policy letter even when trying variations on it. :kissing_heart:

Got a link to this thread and a link for malware cleanup on quttera.com

For me the first result is the letter from the USCG and the second result is this thread.

Huh… google hates me I guess

I can’t get that American waterways operators site link because I’m on mobile. Maybe someone in a PC will drop the link for you. Unless there’s a way I can upload the PDF directly.

I can do this for you until you can get the actual PDF.

1 Like

Yup, that’s good, thanks CP.

I haven’t posted MMCs since the changeover to passport style. Nobody has ever said anything. Last COI was USCG in Singapore, they asked to see them all. I got them out and stowed them back after the CG had checked them all.

In any case what the worse case scenario if someone does say something?

We just posted the printable, un official, “certificate suitable for framing” that’s barely suitable for framing.

Photocopy of the photo page side by side with the STCW page and then white out the home address. Doesn’t come up much, but hey, we have the racks. Why not put something in them?

Definitely obscure home address and for the self conscious, height and weight. Unless your medical was done by Adm. Jackson.

I don’t think in terms of requirements, I think in terms of consequences. There is a requirement to post the MMC, but there is no legal requirment to, for example, double check the navigation. But the possible consequences of failure to one or the other differs.

That’s why I don’t mess with posting the MMC, not worth the hassle

1 Like