Detroit 3 cyl. blowing up?

i reckon I could put 3 liners and pistons in a 371 in the time it took to type this thread

I imagine DSD is burning up the internet with google searching on what is a liner. Wet or dry? Oh the humanity.

[QUOTE=CETOOT70;191792]Always pop off a air box cover, bar it over a bit ,take a look at the rings, push on them with a little screwdriver, if they spring back they, should be good. Check for scoring. 353s I think you can only get to 2 , depending on configuration , Hope all is not lost, One good thing about Detroit’s, Thank the military for being able to have parts for the older ones still, Cummins will make you pay full price on core charge stuff, (injectors) stuff like that. But sounds like a good spring project. Good luck[/QUOTE]

Yeah, GM two strokes are always good for ring inspections. . . often did the same on EMDS. . .

Deck Height is of real concern. High decks are very dangerous.

[QUOTE=Flyer69;191834]Deck Height is of real concern. High decks are very dangerous.[/QUOTE]
I check my protrusion every day, how about you?

[QUOTE=cmakin;191831]Yeah, GM two strokes are always good for ring inspections. . . often did the same on EMDS. . .[/QUOTE]

Once you do an Air Box Inspection on a EMD you never forget the time it takes to make your hands look clean, notice I said look not be clean.

Haven you not learned anything from DSD?!?! That’s why you lay out the hand cleaner near the wash basin.

[QUOTE=Fraqrat;191877]Haven you not learned anything from DSD?!?! That’s why you lay out the hand cleaner near the wash basin.[/QUOTE]

you realize he’s wrong of course…the hand cleaner needs to be kept near the batteries

[QUOTE=Tugs;191876]Once you do an Air Box Inspection on a EMD you never forget the time it takes to make your hands look clean, notice I said look not be clean.[/QUOTE]

I used to do them about once every three of four weeks, both engines. . .I guess it is all in how the engineer is allowing the air box drain to do its job. . . gotta keep that sucker clear and flowing. . . also a reason I never had an EMD air box fire. . . now, the air box of a slow speed B&W or similar. . . that is a different story. . .

[QUOTE=cmakin;191884]I used to do them about once every three of four weeks, both engines. . .I guess it is all in how the engineer is allowing the air box drain to do its job. . . gotta keep that sucker clear and flowing. . . also a reason I never had an EMD air box fire. . . now, the air box of a slow speed B&W or similar. . . that is a different story. . .[/QUOTE]

Gawd!, how I hated cleaning those $%#@! airboxes. So have any of you seen a air box fire? I’m guessing you have to keep it running and let it burn out or feed halon into the intake while cutting f.o.?
and why the hell do we have to keep using “reply with quote” on this forum… someone has changed something? & can’t fix it??

[QUOTE=jimrr;192020]Gawd!, how I hated cleaning those $%#@! airboxes. So have any of you seen a air box fire? I’m guessing you have to keep it running and let it burn out or feed halon into the intake while cutting f.o.?
and why the hell do we have to keep using “reply with quote” on this forum… someone has changed something? & can’t fix it??[/QUOTE]

I had very few problems with EMD airboxes, but I kept the drains free and flowing and would check them each watch. That would keep them fairly “clean”. . .

[QUOTE=cmakin;192028]I had very few problems with EMD airboxes, but I kept the drains free and flowing and would check them each watch. That would keep them fairly “clean”. . .[/QUOTE]

“Fairly clean” when talking about an EMD Air Box may be a little misleading to those that have never worked on one. Clean to most means clean but with a EMD it means not caked with crap. LOL

We always ran with the Airbox drains cracked open and into a 5 gal bucket with a lid. This did several things, it kept the drains open and flowing, it allowed you to keep an eye out for those pesky water leaks that could ruin a watch or two. The best thing about running them into a Vented 5 Gal Bucket was you could keep a rag on the vent to keep all of the oil vapors to a minimum.

[QUOTE=Tugs;192070]“Fairly clean” when talking about an EMD Air Box may be a little misleading to those that have never worked on one. Clean to most means clean but with a EMD it means not caked with crap. LOL

We always ran with the Airbox drains cracked open and into a 5 gal bucket with a lid. This did several things, it kept the drains open and flowing, it allowed you to keep an eye out for those pesky water leaks that could ruin a watch or two. The best thing about running them into a Vented 5 Gal Bucket was you could keep a rag on the vent to keep all of the oil vapors to a minimum.[/QUOTE]

Exactly the way I used to run mine. . what was the name of that Royal degreaser that came in those buckets. . . red colored with white top. . . trick I learned at Crowley. . . oh, and when compared to a long stroke slow speed diesel, even a dirty EMD airbox is “clean”. . . . .