Deep Sea Mining

Lee Shore, C.Captain does not strike me as a cat person. Cannot picture him curled up in the wheelhouse chair with a Persian Feline.

2 Likes

That cat looks like it is trying to escape.

BAAWAAHAHAA! My first chuckle in a while.

Opposition to deep sea mining is building.

are we sure its not just a giant conspiracy to get another Russian sub?

1 Like

The interest in Deep Sea Mining is widespread:

I think the quote you shared is really interesting, and it highlights the fact that we still have a lot to learn about how DSM could affect the environment. It’s crucial that we continue to conduct research and gather data before making any decisions that could have long-lasting effects on our planet. Regarding the mention of Traveling Block, I understand that this is an important part of the mining process, but it’s important to consider the broader implications of DSM beyond just the technical aspects of the operation. We need to think about the potential impact on the environment and on the communities that rely on the ocean for their livelihoods.

1 Like

In an agreement signed last week, nearly 200 countries agreed to a legally-binding High Seas Treaty to protect marine life in international waters

The pros and cons of deep sea mining:

I’ve never invested in stocks but while doing some research on another subject, this got my attention.

Graphene, the substance found in pencil lead, could act as a semiconductor, according to research published last week by researchers at Georgia Institute of Technology and China’s Tianjin University. The discovery could yield an alternative to silicon, which is now the most prevalent chip material. (Wall Street Journal)

The substance, normally mined in underground tunnels or open pits is also used in the manufacture of the type of batteries used to power EVs.

The money shot: a new University of Delaware study recently published in Nature Communications shows for the first time that the old carbon found on the seafloor can be directly linked to submicron graphite particles emanating from hydrothermal vents.

1 Like

A voice against deep sea mining, bottom trawling (and scallop scraping) in the Barents Sea: