Cruise ship Viking Sky in problem

Resetting a DG alarm on the diesel electric plants I’ve worked on involved resetting it on the ECR console and the local DG panel. Often just cycling a switch to “reset” and someone else clicking the reset button in the ECR.

The ECR panel should’ve had a UPS so it would still be functional.

The Generators would need to be reset and be in a ready to start condition (Prelube).

Prelube supplied from E-Bus as per MAN manual.

Able to emergency start MANs as per the manual. This also allows you to start without any interlocks (as per MAN manual) One ship (MAN dg’s) I was on all starting we did was with the local emergency start. The C/E didn’t like using the remote console, preferred to have the guy starting it right there watching it.

If all 4 had tripped off on low LO pressure I would be wary of overriding alarms. Yes you want to save the ship, but how much time would a generator run with no/intermittent LO. Then you would be close to the coast with fucked up engines.

Maybe a better solution to rolling would be to increase the time delay on the low LO pressure alarm. That way you still have the protection of the alarm and allow the plant more time to recover from its rolling.

If a LO storage tank could be gravitated down to the sumps (likely) than that might’ve taken some time. Working in the heavy rolling with the man in the ECR getting millions of alarms and phone calls.