Must be nice to be a deckie.
edit: but seriously congrats and that’s a smart way to get some guys started getting the vaccine
Must be nice to be a deckie.
edit: but seriously congrats and that’s a smart way to get some guys started getting the vaccine
STCW engineer officer endorsements also require Medical First Aid Provider.
Yes. A very clever strategy. It’s also been reported that some vaccinations are going to the “guy who shows up” under the use it or lose it philosophy.
My ‘effin’ doctor is not impressed. He thinks it’s bullshit
I think I need an established marine medical service to get any traction with this.
I think he needs to be convinced first that you should get a priority bump. Then the medical provider thing becomes a way to make it happen under the rules he’s following.
You would think all seafarers and airline staff would be a one of the highest priority to be vaccinated as they regularly move around the world, they say that back in the 1980s so many AIDs cases can be linked back to one Norwegian seafarer who spread it to many parts of the worlds.
Also, the reported inability to get people treated ashore unless the ship happens to go to their home country while they’re sick seems about as “high risk” as it gets, no offense intended to Dr. Chief Mate and Nurse Third Mate
The facts about “Arvid Noe” according to Wikipedia:
It is true that he was a seafarer for a while in the 1960s and probably contracted HIV while visiting West Africa in 1961-62. (Nothing said about for how long he was a seaman)
He became a long haul truck driver from 1968 - 72 and probably spread the virus to prostitutes in Europe during that time.
With HIV being mainly a sexualy transmitted disease and Covid-19 spreading by droplets in air, this story should be even more reason to vaccinate seafarers, air crews and long haul truck drivers quickly.
PS> If a vaccine against HIV is found they should be first in line for that one too.
![]()
Edit: as a dumbass I did not think about that you could get it in the uterus.
Several of the other early cases seem to be connected to aircrew as well. One interesting thing with covid is how it seems to spread on frozen cargo as well, so the fish and cold storage workers would be a big part of hardening borders against it.
Where did you hear that?
Maybe from here??:
But missed this part:
Singapore is the first in the world to administer vaccines to prioritized the aviation and maritime industry. We are thankful that the front-liners of the maritime industry are now better protected from any health risks while carrying out their offshore duties, and stand ready to support the government and the Maritime and Port Authority of Singapore (MPA) in the fight against COVID-19.
Covid-19 add to the problem at LA/LB Container Terminals:
Longshoremen are also essential transport workers that should have priority for the vaccine.
The safest ship in the world?
Who are the Seattle marine medical consultation companies?
I’m thinking: Covid vaccinations, 24/7 Satphone medical advice, basic medical training that matches a Lafferty Medicine Chest, or a Medicine Chest provided by the medical consultants.
Some years ago, there was a doctor at Swedish Hospital that provided medicine chests, training that matched the Medicine Chest (I think Lafferty provided it for him), and this doctor provided a one or two day training that was pretty good, he also provided good Satphone medical advice. This particular doctor is gone.
I am familiar with the George Washington University marine medical advice service. I’ve heard that they provide good training. I don’t know if they provide medical kits. I have never had one of their kits or training. The Satphone advice is good.
Obviously, my most pressing concern is vaccination.
Going through the various plans, I feel like mariners and oilfield workers most logically belong in whatever category any given locality has for migrant camps, which is typically several phases ahead of the “trucker” phase we’re currently in. Especially for OSV and similar mariners where four men may share a spacious broom closet.
Is it even possible to get someone medivaced for covid overseas? The dicey access to treatment closer than several days or weeks sailing away seems to justify it even further.
This all only irritated me a little bit until I saw how many medical adjacent work from home people were getting vaccinated as if they might catch covid Zooming into a hospital.
Singapore got it right:
Singapore prioritises seafarers for Covid vaccine.