Cooking at Sea Horror Stories

One Atb I worked on had a sign over the other crews food, instant termination if you where found touching it. I guess some milk got tainted with pubic hair, open tubes of ice cream up and take an old chicken foot and put “chicken tracks” in the ice cream :joy:
Had a 2nd mate who was a coonass, saw a large wild turkey on the dock, walked over, killed turkey, cleaned turkey on the dock and stuffed it in the oven for the crew, they weren’t amused, I though it was hysterical.
Was on a 21/21 boat when I was decking, filling in on my off time, like 10days in and the boats empty, make up a grub list, get told we have plenty of food. Couple days go on and we are eating canned vegetables and crackers, I ask again and the captain blows up, tells me when we get back to NY I’m to get the fuck off the boat. Sweet, I’m working over anyway I actually get to go home, said something to the Honduran engineer that I’m going home and he calls Peter directly, guess the captain was going thru some financial difficulty at home and spent the grub money, was waiting till our first check hit before we could get food for the crew.

4 Likes

No complaints on this hitch except for the chronic Montezuma’s revenge from everything being fried. Ship is going to the yard and they are using up what’s left. I get off soon and I am thankful for a number of reasons, mostly unrelated to the food.

1 Like

On a tanker I sailed on the captain was always shouting at the Chinese steward. I must say that the guy was not the brightest around and made many mistakes hence the captain’s frustration. At the end of the year and softened by the Christmas spirit the captain said to the steward that he would try to be less offensive in the future. The steward answered with the famous words: “Thank you captain then I promise not to piss in your soup anymore.”

4 Likes

Nah, I looked through the thread and have pretty much covered the my worst experiences. . . maybe another thread about the best food you had onboard?

3 Likes

Here is the verdict from one that went to try the Kaki Kambing soup, with eyes, ears, brain and all:

1 Like