Commercial Fishing?

Thanks -emailed em both. Kaipo’s email came came back undeliverable. I googled him and found this- thought you might be interested-

http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/article/2006/Aug/08/ln/FP608080339.html

Mahalo for the help-Anthony

Hello Bob
My experience with Coastal was quite a few years ago but I remember them being a bunch that did burn up people for two reasons…low pay and very long hours when working cargo in Alaska (w/o cargo o/time). Obviously both are a deadly combination when jobs are plentiful and I got a much better offer soon after starting so did not make a career there. The upside is that their boats are not too bad and I wouldn’t declare them unseaworthy. When Western Pioneer was their competitor and ran miserable old WWII yard oiler conversions…it is amazing none were lost with all hands. They actually would run those vessels which were designed to work inside harbors across the Gulf of Alaska in the middle of winter! Still those captain’s would bring those underpowered single screw freighters alongside docks and other vessels up at St Paul Island sometimes six times in 12 hours with the wind howling and ice all over the place. You have to be tough to get through one of those jobs and they are not for the fair weather types.
I cannot say much about Coastal Trans today. George Collazo may still be their port captain. He is definitely old school and certainly not concerned about hurting someone’s precious feelings if you get my meaning. But when jobs are scarce I would never say stay away but don’t expect any pleasant surprises at the end of a voyage.
Tell me what are things like at the moment workwise in the NW? I’ve working been in the GoM now for the better part of three years and haven’t been up north now since 2001.
cheers

KaipoP@sause.com
Is that the one you tried?

KNOTSHIP:
Thanks for the info. I took a visit to Coastal. Drove into their yard and the first thing I noticed was the few guys I saw walking around looked frantic. Not the quick paced squared away gate a mariner has rather a, o-shit im late for school and gonna get in trouble husstle.
Walked into the office and was greated by a nice receptionist named Penny. I used my most persuasive and wiley job applicant skills to get any info from her I could. No luck. She just kept repeating, “I can only take your application and if the Port Captain needs you he’ll give you a call. No need to come back and dont call us we’ll call you.” I also watched a couple office type guys walk by. They had that same im in trouble and late look to them. If thats what happens to the shore staff at Coastal I think Ill pass. Ive seen that look in peoples eyes before and it aint a good sign.
Stoped by IBU and a couple other places. Each had their own style. I did visite a very calm, profesional, and welcoming comany in Ballard right next to where the TIme Bandit and Westerner tie up. They have a interesting sort of vessel contracts. I going to apply with them. They dont have AB work now but the HR person said probably some in February.
So how is Ballard? I was surprised to see Hatty’s Hat still open. I chose to forgo the 0600 HRS smelt and hashbrown breakfast backed with a couple vodka doubles… glad I dont do that stuff anymore !!!
Last thoughts… I like knowing if I end up in the water I can swim to a rig or tread water for a day. Not so the case up north in that other gulf. Ill be heading to the warm waters of the GOM if the Ballard gig doesnt pan out this February.
Thanks again for your insights. Id say youre right on!
Bob

It might take a while for PMI to get back to you. I emailed them a few weeks ago and they just got in touch with me the other day.

Probably a stupid question, but if you work as a processor does it count as seatime? :confused: