Coi regs

does an osv have to be fully manned with an active coi

Only if you want to move it.

EDIT:
I’m going to revise my answer. I’ve been on ships with temporarily reduced manning in port for a day or so. Everyone had to be back before we moved though. I’m not sure how something like stacking boats works or an extended reduced manning. Also depending on the situation, there are provisions for the CG to authorize reduced manning but don’t know how often or easy they would grant it. So… depends.

[QUOTE=wmoser;93617]Only if you want to move it.

EDIT:
I’m going to revise my answer. I’ve been on ships with temporarily reduced manning in port for a day or so. Everyone had to be back before we moved though. I’m not sure how something like stacking boats works or an extended reduced manning. Also depending on the situation, there are provisions for the CG to authorize reduced manning but don’t know how often or easy they would grant it. So… depends.[/QUOTE]

On your vessels COI it should have a section that states something to the effect of “if vessel will be a away from port for less than 12 hrs in a 24 hr period your manning may be reduced to: xxxx” allowing a reduced crew at sea as well. We have gone periods of only having 2 guys onboard when times were really slow or in port for an extended period of time for repairs.

OSV’s must be inspected and thus must have a current COI. If its a day boat less than 100GRT than it can probably run with a Captain and Deckhand. It really depends on what the boat is and what its rated for on the COI. If the vessel is not working (being paid for commercial services) then it could probably get away with operating under manned. I often have to move or shift inspected passenger vessels from my companys maintenance yard to other docks around the harbor and I run with only one deckhand even though the COI requires several. So bottem line, It depends on what work your doing, where your doing it, how long your underway for, what size the boat is, and what the COI says.