Chouest Tug hit tanker Polar Endeavour?

That’s water

1 Like

Put a red circle around what could be a crack.

1 Like

You’d think they could make a pretty good headline with that photo. Where is gcaptain news?

Happend Jan 11

Anchorage News

“Ballast seawater that leaked from the tanker into Prince William Sound was inspected and did not contain oil”

Thank goodness for that.

:scream: :scream: :scream:

…so it “ran away”? Now I’m curious.

Also, these kinds of bumps and scrapes make a pretty strong case for double hulled tankers.

A loaded tanker ready to depart had ballast water on board.(??)
Ballast is normally carried in wing tanks, but from the pictures the impact appears to be near the stern.

Journalistic liberty??

Aft ballast is loaded to control trim and stress on a full load.

I almost always have water in the aft peak.

1 Like

I understand that’s what tugboaters refer to as a bell-ringer.

EDIT: :upside_down_face:

Sometimes the bump is gentle, sometimes it’s hard enough to jar a few fillings loose. The “bell-ringer” happens frequently enough that it shouldn’t come as a surprise. Someone is always training, but it’s not just the novices that score a hit every now and then.

1 Like

I think 10 knots square on might be a bell ripper. Where the bell would go flying off it’s mounts.

Apparently only one guy was hurt, so I doubt the 10 knots. It’s amazing what good fenders can do.

1 Like

I think a 10 knot T-Bone would be a general alarm / abandon ship bell ringer.

After this Chouest will probably require the crew to wear crash helmets in the bunk.

3 Likes

You personally always have water in the aftpeak??
I would have thought that would be in the forepeak. :rofl:

OK more seriously; what type of ship are you on?
Tankers of this size are usually designed and built to be trimmed right without carrying ballast anywhere.
That would be stealing cargo carrying capacity. The Charterer probably would not like that much.

10 knots is not a bump. 10 knots is an uncontrolled collision. They either lost steering, operator incap or asleep, or left the wheelhouse.

What is going on up there with all these incidents?

Endeavour class would have aft ballast loaded to manage trim/list on a scantling load.

600 ft tanker. With ballast in the aft peak on pretty much every voyage.

1 Like

Yes, essentially the tug went from 10 kts (reported ) to zero in a distance measured in inches. Everything not secured including the crew would have been thrown forward at about 10 kts. At lot of gear that was secured in some way would have broke loose and been flung forward.

6 Likes