Chief Engineer - Alaska Oregon Offshore Marine - , OR

Chief Engineer needed for month long* tugboat delivery job on or about October 2nd, 2015 from Florida to Oregon. Preference given to those with Caterpillar experience.* Must posess valid USCG license and qualifications for the transit.* DDE 4000 hp or greater preferred. Pay is dependent on experience/qualifications, …

More…

[QUOTE=gCaptain Jobs;168974]Chief Engineer needed for month long* tugboat delivery job on or about October 2nd, 2015 from Florida to Oregon. Preference given to those with Caterpillar experience.* Must posess valid USCG license and qualifications for the transit.* DDE 4000 hp or greater preferred. Pay is dependent on experience/qualifications, …

More…[/QUOTE]

Who are these guys?

[QUOTE=tugsailor;168995]Who are these guys?[/QUOTE]

no fuckin idea

Jerry White? That name sounds familiar, but I can’t place him.

[QUOTE=tugsailor;168998]Jerry White? That name sounds familiar, but I can’t place him.[/QUOTE]

Alaska Crab Coalition is memory serves me but where did that name come up from?

I googled the company and his name popped up in one of the business directory listings

• Updated - - -

[QUOTE=tugsailor;169000]I googled the company and his name popped up in one of the business directory listings[/QUOTE]

Oregon Corp records show Jerry W. White as the registered agent at 535 Merchant Street, Coos Bay.

[QUOTE=tugsailor;169000]I googled the company and his name popped up in one of the business directory listings[/QUOTE]

gotta be a different guy

The name is familiar. I’m thinking that he use to be a master at Sauce Bros., way back when we were young.

Jerry owns the marine retriever and ocean eagle which is a ytb. Was or is a coos bay pilot I think

I know the Marine Retreiver. She is a WWII vintage ytb that Marine Power and Equipment converted to twin screw back in the late 70’s. I use to see her all over Alaska until Marine Power went bankrupt in the mid-80’s. I don’t remember the Ocean Eagle.

I’m not sure where this ocean eagle came from maybe coos bay pilots? Fred Dahl had it for awhile and sold it to jerry has a Fairbanks op

[QUOTE=tugsailor;169006]I know the Marine Retreiver. She is a WWII vintage ytb that Marine Power and Equipment converted to twin screw back in the late 70’s. I use to see her all over Alaska until Marine Power went bankrupt in the mid-80’s. I don’t remember the Ocean Eagle.[/QUOTE]

I used to work for Marine Leasing/Logistics 30 years ago when they were all over the West Coast. Peter Woekke was Joe Boss and Norm Davis was port captain. That was when they brought the Coon Ass mariners to tow those triple deck trailer barges from the Duwamish up to Seward with those big Theriot boats and one of those geniuses ran one up on a rock in BC. What was that operation called?

[QUOTE=c.captain;169016]I used to work for Marine Leasing/Logistics 30 years ago when they were all over the West Coast. Peter Woekke was Joe Boss and Norm Davis was port captain. That was when they brought the Coon Ass mariners to tow those triple deck trailer barges from the Duwamish up to Seward with those big Theriot boats and one of those geniuses ran one up on a rock in BC. What was that operation called?[/QUOTE]

I remember Peter, Richard and Norm. I do not remember what they called that company. The two barges were 550’. The boys from the bayou got into a lot of trouble. Peter Wick would tell them to make their scheduled ETA, and they would say “rog-oh bossman” and push the throttles full ahead. There were some parted tow wires. The Barbara (or Justine) Foss rescued one the barges just before it went ashore in BC. The Canadians responded with the pilotage trips requirement. After the bankruptcy the barges went to Tampa for a Puerto Rico run. Where did the Theriot boats go?

[QUOTE=tugsailor;169020]I remember Peter, Richard and Norm. I do not remember what they called that company. The two barges were 550’. The boys from the bayou got into a lot of trouble. Peter Wick would tell them to make their scheduled ETA, and they would say “rog-oh bossman” and push the throttles full ahead. There were some parted tow wires. The Barbara (or Justine) Foss rescued one the barges just before it went ashore in BC. The Canadians responded with the pilotage trips requirement. After the bankruptcy the barges went to Tampa for a Puerto Rico run. Where did the Theriot boats go?[/QUOTE]

Was that the outfit that was using Marine Power and Equipment’s facilities on Westlake (Lake Union) and Fox St (Dauminsh)? I worked there for a week or so. I was onboard one of their big boats, the engineers had the mains opened up and were working like dogs trying to get ready to leave. Chief told me they had major work after each trip because they were running too hard.

on the duwamish its sea-tac marine they ship lumber to alaska mostly. Delta yacht had been renting that massive building to build a couple steel yacht hulls in.

Marine Power and Equipment had two shipyards. One next to Gasworks Park in Fremont (or is that Wallingford) on Lake Union and the other on the Duwamish (I think it was Fox Ave (just south of the 1st Ave. South Bridge)). The tugboat office was at the Lake Union yard. There was a huge federal environment clean up liability battle over at the Lake Union yard.

The former Marine Power shipyard in Lake Union is now owned by Peter Kelly and called Northlake Shipyard.

Northland’s container yard was at Fox Ave. for a few years, but as RShrew said, Sea-Tac Marine is there now.

Don’t remember the name of the outfit or if I even knew the name. It was summer of 1985, the same year MP&E went bankrupt, maybe it was them. I must have answered an ad or something. I was interviewed and hired on Westlake Ave, I think right at the shipyard. They had two or three old, army-type 100+ foot tugs and the one big offshore, not sure, must have been a work boat.

Every day I’d come to work and paint the old tugs. I know they had some tugs working in Alaska. When ever they had a deckhand job I’d go down to the boat at the pier at Fox Street. I recall they had a triple-screw tug there. We’d assist tugs breaking tow in Seattle. They guys I worked with seemed inexperienced but it was my first time on a tug. I was trying to get on the bigger vessel which is why I was snooping around talking to the chief.

Someone there evidently got tired of me trying to go offshore so they hooked me up with Ridel offshore and I joined the Willamette Champion in Astoria.

Jerry is a GREAT guy to work for…and I’m not just saying that because I work for him. I doubt you’ll find anyone with anything bad to say about him or his company, all are a great bunch of guys.
Ocean Eagle is now Reese Eagle, Retriever is in Coos Bay under repair.
There is a reason a guy like Jerry commands such respect and loyalty from his workers and contemporaries, he treats them the way he would want to be treated, the ONLY bad thing I could say is that it is always contract work and the jobs are sporadic and sometimes far between…such is the nature of salvage work though.