Can't an OS/Barge PIC get STCW Certified?

I have a tankerman who up to this point has been sitting on his hands thinking he didn’t have to get any more credential than he already had. (Barge PIC, OS)
Recently he was informed that he’d need to have his STCW cert by the end of the calender year and proceeded to sign up for, attend and then pass the course. He says he was told by his local REC and the NMC that an OS can’t get endorsed with STCW 95 unless he upgrades to AB Unl/lifeboatman w/Adv FF first. I thought he’d be able to endorse his MMC for STCW then continue upgrading his ticket to AB UNL. If this is correct, why can’t an OS be endorsed with STCW 95? Don’t ships on international voyages carry OS’s?

His MMC can’t be endorsed, and I don’t know why not, but if he has the course certificate then he has BST and is ok to sail. The problem is that that course certificate expires if he never upgrades to AB, whereas if he were an AB BST would never expire. The certificate should be accepted as proof of BST for five years, at least as far as inspections go. I don’t know how long the NMC will accept it.

He says he was told (by the school) that he’s good for 5 years(domestically) without being specifically endorsed, but I guess realistically the cert will be useless if he doesn’t upgrade to AB within the year. The information he says was given by the NMC states his cert will expire (endorsement-wise) one year from issue so the advice is for him to complete his upgrade as soon as possible and avoid paying for it all over again.

Does he have the sea time for an AB? If so it could be worth the classes to get it. Here in the gulf its about $100 difference in pay, maybe more for an AB tankerman. If he lives in Louisiana, he can take the classes at 3 junior colleges for real cheap compared to maritime schools.

On the other hand we have OS’s with STCW, but not RFPNW. As soon as they get 180 days they are getting their AB special. Stand by. I’m gonna check on it to see if they have a certificate from the class or if its on their MMC.

He’s doing the assessments for RFPNW now, waiting to take his classes for AB and AdvFF. He was told once he completes AB, Lifeboat and AdvFF he can get everything endorsed at once. He should be good to go by September with everything.

[QUOTE=captbbrucato;69733]He says he was told (by the school) that he’s good for 5 years(domestically) without being specifically endorsed, but I guess realistically the cert will be useless if he doesn’t upgrade to AB within the year. The information he says was given by the NMC states his cert will expire (endorsement-wise) one year from issue so the advice is for him to complete his upgrade as soon as possible and avoid paying for it all over again.[/QUOTE]

His BST certificates should be good for five years regardless of when/if he qualifies for any STCW endorsements. If he took a course that is approved to substitute for the AB exam, he has to apply for the AB endorsement within one year of the course. If he has the sea time for AB, but hasn’t completed the RFPNW assessments, he can still get the AB endorsement and can add RFPNW when he finishes the assessments.

[QUOTE=Jeffery_P_Oliver;69738]On the other hand we have OS’s with STCW, but not RFPNW. As soon as they get 180 days they are getting their AB special. Stand by. I’m gonna check on it to see if they have a certificate from the class or if its on their MMC.[/QUOTE]

It’s almost vcertainly course certificates. We do not put BST on the MMC, so if he does not have RFPNW or Proficiency in Survival Craft (Lifeboatman), he won’t have an STCW endorsement inn his MMC.

[QUOTE=jdcavo;69876]His BST certificates should be good for five years regardless of when/if he qualifies for any STCW endorsements. If he took a course that is approved to substitute for the AB exam, he has to apply for the AB endorsement within one year of the course. If he has the sea time for AB, but hasn’t completed the RFPNW assessments, he can still get the AB endorsement and can add RFPNW when he finishes the assessments.[/QUOTE]

Thank you Mr Cavo. I suspected that was so but wasn’t entirely certain.

Looking for a job, have STCW 95 convention certificate with relevant document. How do i go about it. Leave in Port Harcourt, rivers state, Nigeria.