Cajun HP rating for tugs

[QUOTE=c.captain;65215]HOLY SHIT! I wonder what caused that drydock to sink…it wasn’t that old! Crowley cannot be happy over this development.

As an aside, it has always amazed me that the 9000’s (INVADERS) were built with such little freeboard. When all tanked down there is no freeboard. Damed that must be some very wet boat in a big sea!

Do you realize that those boats are now almost 40 years old! Still they are classics in every sense of the word and still have plenty of “smash”!

As an extra note: all you brownwater GOM mariners notice the tall mountainous background covered with green trees…the wild west where the weather is wicked and the water is deep. None of your Belly Pass/Port Flushoon there! That’s real mariner’s country that is![/QUOTE]

I ran Invader class boats for a few years, as well as the similar Sea Swift tugs. They are wet, but fairly comfortable in all but the worst seas. I think that the least enjoyable ride I have ever had on one was back when we towed one of the SL-7s from Philly to New Orleans for a converson. 28’+ seas off of Hatteras made for a very slow, uncomfortable two days (one of which was spent going backwards thanks to the sail area of the ship being towed). Weather tight hatches all dogged down and the only water I saw inside the boat was up in the wheelhouse, coming in through those doors. For most conditions, I would dog down all doors but leave the top half of the Dutch door to the winch room open and had no problems. In calm seas, with the doors open, it was not unusual to find the odd flying fish in the engine room during the morning rounds.

As far as horsepower ratings, I do know that Crowley sold (and still sells) the boats as 9,000 HP. The 20 cylinder EMDs are rated at 3,600 HP a piece, so that doesn’t add up, of course. If you look at the Class entries for the boats, they are rated at 7,100 to 7,200 HP. Just because a company may sell the boats at one power rating does not necessarily mean that they are trying to skirt any regulations. More than likely, the registered HP will be accurate. When I worked with Crowley, I did ask about how the 9,000 HP was reached and was told that it was based upon calculations for a bollard pull. I still doubt it. As far as Korn Nozzles helping the Invaders, well that isn’t very likely since they are open wheel, as can be seen in the photo from Everett.

With regard to bollard pull, that is also a sales tool. So far as I know, there are no international regulations that require a vessel to have a bollard pull certificate. Now, just about all towing vessels do, since it is often a contractual requirement.

The Invader/Sea Swift design is pretty basic, and both classes of boats have some years on them now. What keeps them going is a pretty decent maintenance program (at least from my experience both with them and while at ABS) and the fact that there are only two ballast tanks that are only to be used in emergencies, so internal corrosion isn’t a real big issue.

That dry dock in was the old duwamish shipyard one. I think the some places use Kips to measure pull now too.

[QUOTE=rshrew;65230]That dry dock in was the old duwamish shipyard one. I think the some places use Kips to measure pull now too.[/QUOTE]

Bollard pull is expressed as thrust, in either tons or kips in English units. I was inferring that the Crowley 9K Hp rating was reverse calulated from a bollard pull; adding more questions than answers.

Before we made the SL-7 tow, I was down on one of the boats in Lake Charles, doing my Hard Card duties of getting the boat ready between voyages. While I was working, a surveyor came onboard and was poking around. He was looking at the main engine name plate data that indicated 3,600HP for the main engines. He called me over and said that he was representing the Navy and asked me about the HP ratings and how the 9K figure was calculated. I just told him that the engines were rated as noted on the name plate. Obviously we got the job anyway.

I was told that the invaders were rated at 7,200 hp continuous but that they could generate an extra 20% hp or so for up to two hours every 24. Supposedly it required the engineer literally standing on the governor, which is how the Hunter wins the tug boat races in puget sound every year.

I was told that the invaders were rated at 7,200 hp continuous but that they could generate an extra 20% hp or so for up to two hours every 24. Supposedly it required the engineer literally standing on the governor, which is how the Hunter wins the tug boat races in puget sound every year.

and that is how Crowley comes up with the higher HP number? Incredible!

DOH! That’s going to cost Vigor a few bucks to fix, What happened to the dock> Some playing with the valves?

This brings up a question…do drydocks ever get drydocked?

My guess is a valve failed that dock was pretty old from my understanding.

As we say in the tugboat world “7,200hp on a good day”

No, but they can be subject to Class and surveys. I have always been leery of drydocks, especially older ones in small shipyards. With lots of doublers.

As I’m sitting on a dry dock in Morgan City haha

[QUOTE=ryanwood86;65252]As I’m sitting on a dry dock in Morgan City haha[/QUOTE]

Yeah, especially those. . . . . .

[QUOTE=c.captain;65215]As an extra note: all you brownwater GOM mariners notice the tall mountainous background covered with green trees…the wild west where the weather is wicked and the water is deep. None of your Belly Pass/Port Flushoon there! That’s real mariner’s country that is![/QUOTE]

I don’t want to get in a pissing contest with you…but what is your beef with the GOM? I have noticed in several post among different topics that you slam the mariners from the GOM, why?
I would like to remind you that some of those cajuns took tugs from Louisiana & crossed the great pond over to the North Sea where they ran anchors in heavy seas back in the 60’s, 70’s, & 80’s. So where you’re from does not have a monopoly on “great” mariners. I would like to think that all the coastal regions in the US have “great” mariners. JMO

I am just getting tired of this coast is better… & union vs non union bullshit…at the end of the day we are all mariners & put our pants on one leg at a time.

I don’t want to get in a pissing contest with you…but what is your beef with the GOM?

Ahh hell, you had to go there.

C-Captain is like the cranky old grandfather. When he gets bored he likes to stir some shit up and see what happens. You eventual learn to ignore him when he says stuff like that.

He did get occupied by the thread about shutting all the state maritime schools and just having Kings Point, and with that being his biggest grip right now that should keep him happy for a while.

C-Captain is like the cranky old grandfather. When he gets bored he likes to stir some shit up and see what happens. You eventual learn to ignore him when he says stuff like that.

He did get occupied by the thread about shutting all the state maritime schools and just having Kings Point, and with that being his biggest grip right now that should keep him happy for a while.

HA!..I heard that and you lousy kids stay the eff off of my lawn!

btw, my jab at the GoM mariners was just that…a jab! Hell I worked out of Fourchon for three years!

some people need to lighten up and stop taking everything I say so Goddamned seriously!

[QUOTE=cmakin;65229]With regard to bollard pull, that is also a sales tool. So far as I know, there are no international regulations that require a vessel to have a bollard pull certificate. Now, just about all towing vessels do, since it is often a contractual requirement.[/QUOTE]
A few years ago, on the 4 ATBs I delivered had to pull at least 60 tons I believe for a towing cert. ABS witnessed the pull on board and ashore. The tugs were 9250 HP and didn’t hardly break a sweat to pull 60. We were disappointed that they wouldn’t let us load test for max.

[QUOTE=injunear;65305]A few years ago, on the 4 ATBs I delivered had to pull at least 60 tons I believe for a towing cert. ABS witnessed the pull on board and ashore. The tugs were 9250 HP and didn’t hardly break a sweat to pull 60. We were disappointed that they wouldn’t let us load test for max.[/QUOTE]

I did a bit of research and found out that Class now requires the first of each design of towing vessel to get a bollard pull certificate. There is a bit of an issue with this requirement since the docks that are strong enough and have the proper depth are few and most that are available charge a fair amount for the service. With your 60 ton pull, it is my guess that they didn’t go over to get a full pull since the dock may not have had the strength.

If the company you work for sells the tug for 9000 hp and it is 7000 what difference does it make at the end of the day when the job is done and you get your PAY check. If the companies want to poke out the money. Is Peyton worth 95 million for 5 years?? not my money. just send me my check,drink a cold beer and scratch my nuts while i’m watching tv and i’m happy.

[QUOTE=Louis;65406]If the company you work for sells the tug for 9000 hp and it is 7000 what difference does it make at the end of the day when the job is done and you get your PAY check. If the companies want to poke out the money. Is Peyton worth 95 million for 5 years?? not my money. just send me my check,drink a cold beer and scratch my nuts while i’m watching tv and i’m happy.[/QUOTE]

Speaking of nuts, if you met a chick in a bar and she ask how long your pecker is, and it’s really 4", what are you going to say to close the deal? Where you at Lee? How do you handle those situations?

[QUOTE=Louis;65406]If the company you work for sells the tug for 9000 hp and it is 7000 what difference does it make at the end of the day when the job is done and you get your PAY check. If the companies want to poke out the money. Is Peyton worth 95 million for 5 years?? not my money. just send me my check,drink a cold beer and scratch my nuts while i’m watching tv and i’m happy.[/QUOTE]

Speaking of nuts, if you met a chick in a bar and she ask how long your pecker is, and it’s really 4", what are you going to say to close the deal? Where you at Lee? How do you handle those situations?

[QUOTE=Louis;65406]If the company you work for sells the tug for 9000 hp and it is 7000 what difference does it make at the end of the day when the job is done and you get your PAY check…[/QUOTE]

I think the problem is for the customer. The customer is expecting a certain amount of performance from a boat when they hire it based on the horsepower. I don’t see any real cause for alarm if the 7000 Class performs at a level similar to a 9000 hp tug (however that is specifically determined). Of course, I am sure that most charterers of vessels that size are very savvy operators and have done their due diligence and know what they are getting.