Bismarck Sea / DBL 106

ANCHORAGE, Alaska — The Coast Guard is responding to a barge, which grounded near Kodiak, Alaska, Saturday.

The 382-foot barge DBL106 ran aground approximately two miles from Kodiak with a potential of 2.2 million gallons of fuel products aboard while being towed by the 124-foot motor vessel Bismarck Sea. The barge was successfully refloated, but Coast Guard officials have directed the vessel to anchor until a damage assessment is conducted.

Watchstanders at the Coast Guard Sector Anchorage command center received a report of the grounding from Kirby Offshore Marine, the owners of the Bismarck Sea, early Saturday morning. Sector Anchorage personnel requested the launch of a C-130 Hercules airplane crew from Coast Guard Air Station Kodiak to provide an overflight of the area and diverted the crew of the Coast Guard Cutter Spar to the scene.

No sign of pollution was reported at the time of the grounding. Once at anchor, the vessel will be boomed off to prevent any potential pollution from spreading. A Coast Guard MH-60 Jayhawk helicopter crew from Kodiak will conduct an overflight of the area at first light and Coast Guard inspection personnel will deploy to the scene to examine the barge.

“The Coast Guard is deploying resources to the scene and has directed the vessel’s owners to anchor until a thorough damage assessment can be made,” said Capt. Paul Mehler, Sector Anchorage commander. “Our priority is to ensure the safety of the public and the environment.”

No injuries were reported. The weather on scene is reported to be calm with 11-17 mph winds and 3-4 foot seas.

[QUOTE=tradsailor;147218]ANCHORAGE, Alaska — The Coast Guard is responding to a barge, which grounded near Kodiak, Alaska, Saturday.

The 382-foot barge DBL106 ran aground approximately two miles from Kodiak with a potential of 2.2 million gallons of fuel products aboard while being towed by the 124-foot motor vessel Bismarck Sea. The barge was successfully refloated, but Coast Guard officials have directed the vessel to anchor until a damage assessment is conducted.

Watchstanders at the Coast Guard Sector Anchorage command center received a report of the grounding from Kirby Offshore Marine, the owners of the Bismarck Sea, early Saturday morning. Sector Anchorage personnel requested the launch of a C-130 Hercules airplane crew from Coast Guard Air Station Kodiak to provide an overflight of the area and diverted the crew of the Coast Guard Cutter Spar to the scene.

No sign of pollution was reported at the time of the grounding. Once at anchor, the vessel will be boomed off to prevent any potential pollution from spreading. A Coast Guard MH-60 Jayhawk helicopter crew from Kodiak will conduct an overflight of the area at first light and Coast Guard inspection personnel will deploy to the scene to examine the barge.

“The Coast Guard is deploying resources to the scene and has directed the vessel’s owners to anchor until a thorough damage assessment can be made,” said Capt. Paul Mehler, Sector Anchorage commander. “Our priority is to ensure the safety of the public and the environment.”

No injuries were reported. The weather on scene is reported to be calm with 11-17 mph winds and 3-4 foot seas.[/QUOTE]

Woopsy-daisies…

Saying “within 2 miles of Kodiak,” is like saying within 2 miles of Long Island. It covers hundreds of square miles.

The Alaska media doesn’t have anything on this yet.

[QUOTE=tugsailor;147234]Saying “within 2 miles of Kodiak,” is like saying within 2 miles of Long Island. It covers hundreds of square miles.

The Alaska media doesn’t have anything on this yet.[/QUOTE]

Do you know what run they are on?

[QUOTE=tugsailor;147234]Saying “within 2 miles of Kodiak,” is like saying within 2 miles of Long Island. It covers hundreds of square miles.

The Alaska media doesn’t have anything on this yet.[/QUOTE]

I figured they meant Kodiak City

[QUOTE=PaddyWest2012;147240]I figured they meant Kodiak City[/QUOTE]

That is as good a guess as any, but who knows. On the other hand, it could be Whale Pass or somewhere in Shelikof Strait.

I have no idea what run the Bismark Sea is on. I have seen similar looking boats in Kodiak City, but cannot recall the names.

The day when one of these wire boats with a petroleum barge cracks up on the rocks this will be the beginning of the end of wire boats with oil barges. Double hull won’t mean shit if one of these barges get up on the rocks with the Pacific Ocean behind it or any other place where there is a lot of fetch. I bet the outfits with ATBs would be whispering in the ears of the power people/law makers in DC within days.

The same people who own atb’s often own wire boats too.

I believe the Bismark Sea has been converted to an ATB, but for the Gulf of Alaska it would still need the ability to go on the wire.

Bismark has pins

Seems likely it was in the notch at the time. The press release is not well written, “two miles from Kodiak” is ambiguous, could mean Kodiak Island or the City of Kodiak, it says that the barge was being towed by the Bismark Sea which to me implies either astern (or on the hip) but the Bismarak Sea / DBL 106 is an ATB, it says the weather was “calm” but 11-17 kts is a “moderate breeze”, seas are reported at 3-4 feet, “calm seas” is a flat surface, or like a mirror.

Luckily no oil in the water, that’s good all around.

Valdez to Nikiski run?

Normally the media in Alaska will say Kodiak Island when referring to the, well, island. When they just say “Kodiak” it’s normally the city itself. That said, the only news I can find online is from the Maritime Executive–none of the major Alaska news outlets seem to have picked up on this story.

I agree the press release was not at all well written. My guess is the [I]Bismarck Sea[/I] was probably pushing as usual, as they’re an ATB. I’ve never seen them on the wire. I’ve also never seen them heading toward Kodiak, but maybe they got a spot charter.

Anyway, I wonder if anything more will come out about this story. Since there was apparently no oil spilled, I would suspect not.

There is aome AIS info that seems to indicate they were en route to the Port of Kodiak. Three miles out would put them in Chiniak Bay. Cliff Pt, the sea bouy and the S. tip of Woody Island are all roughly 3 miles out. There are a few rocky patches there as you know.

I agree there likely will not be much media intrest, that’s a good thing.

She was anchored near the “SP” sea buoy, outside of the 2 and 3 buoys on the way into st paul harbor, when I came out of women’s bay the day after the incident. Maybe he got confused with the background lights (runway construction) and missed the buoys? I saw the Bismarck in king cove a couple of weeks prior, and have seen them in dutch in the past