Becoming officer without academy

One addition I would add: Fill two coke bottles with sand and hang them around your neck. Go outside at midnight and have your wife spray you with the garden hose.

They still run boats out of Lake Charles? I am guessing they aren’t on the roro trailer trade to PR any longer.

Cadet shipping pay is around $1,200 / month. But you cannot get it except through NYSM or Texas
two year program and then only if you can get on a vessel which allows cadets.

I wouldn’t say they run. Sit at the dock for 29 days a month maybe.

Wow. No regular towing work? Oh, and are there any Invaders left there?

Not for a while but they’re supposed to have at least two Ocean Class tugs going to Martha’s Vineyard this year to help with wind farm installation for at least a few months.

I think they finally sold the last one that was mothballed there but none have worked out of there for at least a decade.

Makes me feel so old. . . . .

Old?? I remember the old Gulf Oil Tankers like the Spray and King! Cove Tankers/ Crest? Thats old!

1 Like

I remember when they were the Gulf King and Gulf Spray, and had the logo on the stack, that’s older. Mobil never went that far, but it’s hard to disguise your ownership with a “niagra blue” paint scheme.

Oh, I remember sharing the docks in Port Everglades with the Crest Tankers. . .

And Cove and OMI discharging at Belcher Oil in Miami. And then there was Procter St.

1 Like

Recommend any ships or companies out of south Florida?

AWESOME! Thank you sir!! What sort of 100/200 get jobs pay that well? That would be awesome!! I will definitely qualify for smallest 50 near coastal, 100 inshore , I saw a job on indeed for 100 master 750$ /day plus off shore towing bonus. It was just a fleet of bow riders for tourists. Granted I work with tourists every day now pointing at dolphins while queuing the flipper song, I could go with out the tourists but 750$ a day! Ain’t much I wouldn’t do!

Hey,

Recommend any work out of south Florida? Companies or ships? I’m in Stuart,fl just came up from keystone Miami inside Haulover.

Get a MMD pass a drug test and head on down to the Miami River and start knocking on gangways. Pay won’t be great but if hired you’ll learn a lot and it will be a helluva an experience. :rofl:

SIU Hall in Jacksonville?

Already worked a few firework shows out the Miami river on a 78’ tug and 150ft barge. 5 miles off the beach up in aventura. Love it lol so much current and traffic. I was gripped right on the bow of a push boat behind the barge as we rammed it to clear the bridges… hopped on runner boat at the turning basin, out the cut we went.

Going out of government cut I always assumed everyone had no radio and were drunk or on serious drugs. It was a safe assumption.

1 Like

Safe assumption. There are very good caps in the mix however. Tow boat US on the river there, even though the owners screwed me out of an awesome gig in the islands for a 67 year old father in law grrrr, has some amazing operators. Have to be the best of the best with the sheer volume of jobs, cruise ships coming in and out of the cut, and the idiots all over, but those guys really impressed me. Specially the cap of the tug. Lassoing pilings with the big ole soaking wet lines, getting us out of the immense traffic jam in 5 knot current. Keeping the barge in step in the waist high seas etc. would be sensible for vessels to fly day shapes of any kind what so ever but south Florida people do kinda just have a way and style about their chaos. Lot of the people running spent most their life on boats. Then there are the wallet jockies tho!! Nothing like watching a mid night express blow all 6 motors out of the water on a marked shoal!

1 Like