Assistance Towing Vessel Regulations

Wow you’re sooooooo fucking cool.

To the OP, as long as you follow the rules for UPV, especially since you are primarily a charter boat guy, and don’t try to move and barges, you should be fine.

[QUOTE=jdcavo;161613]That reg is outdated. The bit about excluding OSVs was removed in the 2010 STCW rulemaking.[/QUOTE]

So you are telling me that there are no unlicensed operators of towing vessels under 200grt in the GoM? I had no idea there had been such a loophole to allow Joe to use uncertified mariners to tow barges of pipe down there.

thanks guys for the information and links

I did contact http://www.uscg.mil/TVNCOE/ the guy was nice and put me in contact with the person I need to talk to, I am still waiting to hear a response from him.
I will only be assisting disabled vessels no barge pulling/ pushing for me.

one thing I have noticed is salvage and assistance towing vessels that are clearly over 5 net tons are state registered instead of documented…is that legal? (that all vessels over 5 tons had to be documented, minus the exemptions that the CG lists)

Any recommendations on insurance carriers that provide coverage for this type of work?

I think I’d look into the cport group, they seem to have some deals with insurance companies.

You’d need to talk to a regular commercial (ocean) marine insurance company… whoever you have your commercial charterboat insurance from can probably point you in the right direction, they’re probably someone you could deal with.