Are forms allowed in the exam room for celestial?

Does anyone know if they allow us to bring forms into the exam room for the celestial nav module? I have to take 206XX and 207XX.

Thanks

NO, they do not.

However, volume 2 of Bowditch which is lying on the desk has most of what you need.

[QUOTE=gcapmatt;46311]Does anyone know if they allow us to bring forms into the exam room for the celestial nav module? I have to take 206XX and 207XX.

Thanks[/QUOTE]

Hey Matt. BMCS is correct. What you can do if you think you really need the form is to practice writing the form before you take a celestial practice test each time. Then when you go into the testing room take a blank sheet and write out your form. I normally do that on most tests that I need to remember different formulas. I will practice writng my “Cheat Sheet” while studying for the test. Then, first thing I do when I go in is write the formulas I need down on the scratch paper. Then I start the test. Another good practice is to locate what formulas are available in the texts available in the testing room. With this information you won’t have to worry about memorizing some formulas because they are available right there in a book for you.

There are also forms and sample problems in the front of Pub 229

The nautical almanac is also in there which also has all sorts of information in it.

Repetition, repetition, repetition.

Do the practice problems the EXACT same way EVERY time over and over again focusing on form.
Waded through Terrestrial that way - successfully

I agree with that…I learned with forms, in my past life but this go round it’s all on scratch paper…Getting a format that works for you then repeating it over and over will help you refine it…

“the problem is the form”

Don’t get stuck in a particular form. Find what you like and let the problem make the form. Date/time is always first, then Alamanac, then formulas. That’s like that little circle, drawing those damn little lines to figure out the correct date. After a while and practice, you realize that thing is just an unnecessary extra step on a form that you don’t need.

You can learn a form at first to help, but at some point, you will not need it after enough practice. If you absolutely had to have a form to do celestial, they would be sitting in the testing room just like the plotting sheets.

All good info. I appreciate all your help.

Also, does anyone know where I can find a listing of specific types of questions per module (i.e. 206XX covers ocean currents, motion of celestial bodies, gnomonic projections, etc…). Everytime I call the NMC the operator of the day sends me to the deck and engineering exam guide which only lists the fact that I have to take 206XX and 207XX. Either they don’t care or don’t understand - either way they’re never any help.

I see 46 CFR 11.910 but that only lists subjects per license (for original license exams). It makes no specification as to what types of questions are asked for an increase in scope, etc…

It seems unbelievable to me that we have to go to an internet forum to have questions answered as they pertain to our licenses. Does anyone else feel like we’re on our own?

I appreciate any info that you may provide.

Save the most time consuming problems until the end. All the questions are evenly weighted.

I did my Ab and 3 License tests with no internet forum. I was on my own, it can be done. Don’t get too wrapped around the shaft with the process, study and practice then go test and you’ll do fine. When I think back on it the hardest part of any of the testing I did was finding a place to park near the REC.

[QUOTE=gcapmatt;46392]
Also, does anyone know where I can find a listing of specific types of questions per module (i.e. 206XX covers ocean currents, motion of celestial bodies, gnomonic projections, etc…). Everytime I call the NMC the operator of the day sends me to the deck and engineering exam guide which only lists the fact that I have to take 206XX and 207XX. Either they don’t care or don’t understand - either way they’re never any help.

I see 46 CFR 11.910 but that only lists subjects per license (for original license exams). It makes no specification as to what types of questions are asked for an increase in scope, etc…

It seems unbelievable to me that we have to go to an internet forum to have questions answered as they pertain to our licenses. Does anyone else feel like we’re on our own?

I appreciate any info that you may provide.[/QUOTE]

Lapware.org lists questions by module. Murphy books do it by category, but you can still cross reference their table, the cfr table and murphy question categories.