Appretice Mate/Steersman of Towing

I have had my Steersman License for a few months now and I am looking for a small company where I can get some boat handling experience. I have 3 years experience on deck and currently work for Florida Marine Transporters and worked for Artco prior to coming here. Thanks any helps is appreciated.

I am in a similar situation. Whilst searching for small companies to learn boat handling, I ended up on offshore supply boats, haha. Not what I intended. Probably it’s very rare that you accidentally end up with a different job. Anyway, once I get my 90 days in over here, if they don’t move me to their towboats, I’m scooting. I had a good gig for a while, but messed it up. However, I heard of a guy who can help you get your TOAR completed and it’s supposedly all legit. You pay money and he has a little boat with a utility barge that you can demonstrate proficiency with and he will sign your TOAR. That’s better than my buddy’s method of paying someone to fill it out. If its the actual learning you’re after, lemme know if you find anything, but if you have that down and are just working on your TOAR, PM me and I’ll shoot you that guy’s number.

What state is he in?

New York. Diamond marine??

[QUOTE=“Tugted;121920”]
New York. Diamond marine??[/QUOTE]

They are up in Kingston, NY. Port Ewen up the Hudson River. I’ve heard decent things about them. They have an old railroad tug and small barge. They will teach and then evaluate with hands on practical work. Good luck.

I’ve passed them when they are training before & that’s a handy boat & he uses that boa to break ice & do assist work

I thought Florida was all about moving people up

Yea Florida marine is all about moving you up in ur pre employment interview… I have been here over a year and have yet to get enough sign offs to get my tankerman license. Im looking to switch to a way smaller company with smaller boats once i have my mate of towing here in the near future.

I been at florida marine for five years. In the first six months i had my tankermans ticket, i worked for another company for five years. Im now a steersman here at the company with little time left to be a cut loose pilot. I did notice when i started at the company . Its the employees decission to progress through the system here at this company. There are vessels that help you progress very quickly, but theres always that catch. You have got to put in some work. I progressed very well, because i got on a 6,000hp boat that pushes 9-30,000 bbl barges of which is on dock 2-3 times per trip, thats atleast 18 transfers. As for the steersmans program here at the company . Your progress depends on a few factors. 1. The port captain over the program ( currently we have a damn good one) . 2. Is proving that you want it, and not just stating it. 3. A little help from personnel. A little something to know about the inland side of this industry, is that just because you got your license doesnt mean you have a given right to be in the program. Here it is an earned right. Although i wish it was given, knowing i have put my time in long ago. After all this time i realized you get what you put in.

I have been out on every barge and worked my as off on every boat ive been on since hiring on over here. Painted 3 different boats, asked my personnel guy to put me where i will get transfers and even had my captain i work under who trains me as a steersman knowing my situation call the office and tell them where to put me so i can get transfers and they end up using me as a fill and putting me on boats that dont have tankerman eligible to sign me off. My captain has filled out damn near my entire toar form well gave his word to a DE and he has signed off on me. This ha all boiled down to luck of the draw for me. I have already beeb to tankerman school but since then the transfers have beeb slow. Also i really dont like riding 28/14.

[QUOTE=bsmagee86;122633]I been at florida marine for five years. In the first six months i had my tankermans ticket, i worked for another company for five years. Im now a steersman here at the company with little time left to be a cut loose pilot. I did notice when i started at the company . Its the employees decission to progress through the system here at this company. There are vessels that help you progress very quickly, but theres always that catch. You have got to put in some work. I progressed very well, because i got on a 6,000hp boat that pushes 9-30,000 bbl barges of which is on dock 2-3 times per trip, thats atleast 18 transfers. As for the steersmans program here at the company . Your progress depends on a few factors. 1. The port captain over the program ( currently we have a damn good one) . 2. Is proving that you want it, and not just stating it. 3. A little help from personnel. A little something to know about the inland side of this industry, is that just because you got your license doesnt mean you have a given right to be in the program. Here it is an earned right. Although i wish it was given, knowing i have put my time in long ago. After all this time i realized you get what you put in.[/QUOTE]

I have been contemplating FMT for a few months now.You seem to know the real deal as to earning your TOAR. Any help would be really appreciated

4 posts were split to a new topic: What does a steersman on an island tugboat do all day at work?