Anyone see our San Diego sea buoy?

Motoring out this morning we noticed the buoy was gone, had USCG start warning mariners…

It wasn’t me! Honest, you can search my bags!

I heard it may have still drifted for hours after it disappeared off of radar

I was on a tug whose barge may or may not have drug the SW buoy up to the head of passes once.

Might want to check the stern of whatever Navy ship just left.

I remember years ago while departing a port on the East Coast all of a sudden the Mains went to Full Astern. I was in my Bunk Room and ran up to the Wheel House to see what was going on. The Mate was yelling that they almost hit a Buoy but he caught it before we hit it. This was around 1500, at Sunset the Captain was on watch and told the AB to get the Mate back up and send him to the Wheel House, he also called me in the E.R. and asked for me to bring a Sledge Hammer up to him. I got there before the Mate and as soon as the Mate got there the Old Man handed him the Sledge and told him to go up on the Bow and break the light on the Buoy “That He Did Not Hit” as it was caught up in the Bridles.

It amazing how those darn buoys can jump right in front of you when you least expect it.

Got a laugh out of these guesses…

USCG reported by email to me last night that the buoy has been located exactly in its proper Lat/Long… Just about 100’ lower in elevation… Sitting on the bottom.

Early suspicions point to either a strike by a vessel or a loss of structural integrity due to a larger than normal family of seals living on board said buoy.

[QUOTE=Starboard Ten;132995]either a strike by a vessel or a loss of structural integrity due to a larger than normal family of seals living on board said buoy.[/QUOTE]

Either way, ask the navy

[QUOTE=Tugs;132983]
It amazing how those darn buoys can jump right in front of you when you least expect it.[/QUOTE]

It’s true. Those sea buoys are always right in the way, especially when using the “hey diddle diddle go right down the middle” method of navigation. They should make the sea buoy a virtual buoy.

[QUOTE=PaddyWest2012;132996]Either way, ask the navy[/QUOTE]

They’ll just lie and cover it up…that’s their. SOP!