Anyone have any study materials for someone new

Hello, I am a senior in high school and am interested in maybe trying out the maritime academy once I graduate. I am seeking some information/ study materials to get prepared for this academy so I can get a head start. If anyone is willing to provide books or anything helpful for me to study with I am more than willing to pay for the materials. Any general information from the experienced is also greatly appreciated. Thanks so much!

Sara Hughes

http://diraux.d1south.org/small-boat/cold-water-seamanship.pdf
http://cgauxwhittier.org/Power%20Points/SEAMANSHIP/AUXSEA_Student.pdf

Simple google search

Deck or Engine?

Why not post this in the maritime academy section? You may get a recent grad to talk to about it. Even a current one!

Well both deck AND engine preferably, don’t you have to be trained in all areas before you get any job? Sorry If I sound like such a noobie, I was told by a friend whose husband is a captain to get as much info as I can about the career. To be honest I really don’t know where to start. I have tried to talk to him about his career but he is never home. All I know is I love to be out on the water and he gets paid very well.

You take general classes your first year and at maine maritime your first cruise you do both deck and engine duties. After that cruise you decide which you want to study, but you don’t study both.

[QUOTE=shughes94;72900]…a friend whose husband is a captain to get as much info as I can about the career.

I have tried to talk to him about his career but he is never home.

All I know is I love to be out on the water and he gets paid very well.[/QUOTE]

Pay CLOSE attention to the bold words. ESPECIALLY the BIG words. They pretty much pin down the problem with this career. 50% of the time (at least) you will be gone from home/ loved ones/ spouse(s)/ Kids/ EVERYTHING. think about that before you get side tracked on how ‘neat’ and ‘awesome’ this career is.

On the flip side…if you join the “rat race” like the rest of the country…and you win…that makes you the number one rat! Hahahaha Go online and buy captain Joe’s study CD for 80 bucks or buy Hawspipe.net CD for the same price. Look over the material and see if it’s interesting enough for you. This is a truly viable career option for anyone willing to do something a little different. Most of the people on here have been doing it for so long that they have become a crab ass. You will find little help from most of them…either on this forum or offshore. Once you show that you are an intelligent motivated person…they clam up an think you are going to take their job. Trust me I know. PM me and I will be glad to help in anyway that I can.

I’ve never seen that either in industry or especially on here. (I’m not saying it doesn’t exist, just that it isn’t nearly as prevalent as you make it seem. And not at all on here…) Cappy just wants to make sure this girl fully understands that a career as a professional mariner is a lot different than going out on the bay fishing for a day. Especially that she will be away from her family, husband and children for half the year at best, if not two thirds of the year.

Don’t waste your time with study CDs. Get the American Merchant Seaman’s Manual, Dutton’s Nautical Navigation, and the American Practical Navigator by Nathaniel Bowditch. You will be expected to own all of those anyway by whatever academy you go to so you might as well get them now and give then a read. They will greatly increase your nautical knowledge so are worth having even if you decide shipping isn’t for you. (Read the American Merchant Seaman’s Manual cover to cover, it is full of very good information.)

[QUOTE=cappy208;72897]Why not post this in the maritime academy section? You may get a recent grad to talk to about it. Even a current one![/QUOTE]

You are asking for info about something that is NOT part of this thread.

GO to the ‘Maritime Academy’ section of GCaptain. Ask there. The people who read there ARE Maritime academy grads, students and can tell/ answer specific question you may have about ‘pre entry’ to an academy.

FYI, This section is inhabited by well meaning lurkers who are interested in up grading or sitting for original licenses. You need a different perspective. ((Specifically from other students.))

[QUOTE=RubberRhib888;72998] Most of the people on here have been doing it for so long that they have become a crab ass. .[/QUOTE]

Why thank you ‘used prophylactic.’ I appreciate the thoughtful insight.

Lol, no problem!

Thanks everyone for your Wisdom and advice. I’m sorry if I intruded or interrupted anyone by posting in the wrong thread… I just ordered 3 books mentioned and I now have a better general idea of everything. Thanks so much and sorry that I posted on the wrong thread, I’m using the app on my iPod and it didn’t show all of the topics when I signed up.

Save your money get twic and stcw come to Louisiana hire on make money with on job training and work your way up. you can be making big money in a short amount of time.

If she can afford to go to an academy she should. She will have a much better grounding in the book side of things than most people that hawsepipe will ever be and she can train to do the practical side after she graduates.