Am I Too Old To Be A Pilot?

Hey guys I’m 27 and I want to attend a 9 month course officer of the watch I also want to be a pilot,do you think it’s to late to seek being a pilot?

Depends if your dad is a pilot.

Definitely not too old. I know guys much older that get into this. I tried myself in Mobile when I was in my early 30’s. Some associations have age restrictions to start, but it is around 40.

Truer words were never spoken!

[QUOTE=ElCapitan;81835]Depends if your dad is a pilot.[/QUOTE]

That can be true depending on the pilot association involved and the level of oversight applied to said association. But that is not always the case. I would say more so in the GOM states. Particularly anything in the great state of Louisiana!

Depends on where you apply and the level of license you have.

Effing little punk! He should be asking hold he needs to be before he can become a pilot! What.

Effing little punk! More soon…

ok, now I can type…

so what the fuck is up with this little shits these days anyway? The guy doesn’t have a license yet and he’s already a superstar in his own eyes. These young punks of today…they expect everything before they have proven they can do anything! On top of that the little darlin can’t even compose a proper sentence. I just want to sink my size 11 steeltoe right up his asshole all the way up to the hilt!

as an aside, in a more perfect world ship pilots would all be over 50 and retired from commanding merchant ships. Everyone to a man would have held an unlimited master’s license for 20 years with at least 10 of those in command. There would be no 2nd mate punks in their 20’s getting apprentice pilots positions, but we don’t live in a perfect world or anything close to it!

Ok, so I don’t usually comment on the rants, but this was a bit much. Your response was rude, inappropriate, and infantile. Reading some of your other ridiculous responses it makes me wonder if you are like this in person or this is just an online facade (the latter I hope, for the sake of your crew and anyone else within hearing distance of you). If someone would ask you this in person, would you immediately reply, “Effing little punk!” For some reason, I seriously doubt it. As a side note, double check your own sentences, or lack there of, before you bitch about someone’s sentence composition.

yawn…scratch…yawn again

So maybe he could tone it down a notch but the old man has a point. His list of prerequisites is reasonable and makes total sense.

[QUOTE=Fraqrat;81908]So maybe he could tone it down a notch but the old man has a point. His list of prerequisites is reasonable and makes total sense.[/QUOTE]

Thanks Fraq…you’re a pal!

So should I adopt the Krakken as my new avatar? Gotta admit that I do bear a resemblance. I have been Lcdr. Quentin McHale now for four years and wondering if a shave and a haircut in drydock might be overdue? Maybe I should post a poll as to which alter ego should be the “new and less improved” c.captain! Whaddya tink?

I still like being Ernst Borgnine tho…he’ll be a tough act to follow!

I sailed with a fella who fits your description. He has 2nd mate/1600 Master/OSV 6000 itc. After a few years of working on mud boats he left for a pilot apprenticeship. He is a ringer to be accepted because his dad was a pilot. Now I like the guy and for an academy fella he had his head on right but he’s not ready for prime time. It makes total sense an experienced ship Master should drive ships in these confined areas. Having said that if nepotism could land me a $300k + job I’d be all over it too. Lucky bastard…

Stick with Mchale your to silly most of the time for anything else. The c.krakken only comes out when his slumber is disturbed.

Holding my tongue, but it must be hell working on this person’s boat. He must be on the computer 24/7. :eek:

[QUOTE=adam trini;81833]I also want to be a pilot,do you think it’s to late to seek being a pilot?[/QUOTE]

Only late by about 3 generations. Not only your father needed to be one, but your grand and great grandfather as well!

If one day you do make apprentice, by all means, congratulations and good luck.

Thanks guys,especially the inappropriate guy you don’t even know me so get a life. :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=adam trini;83138]Thanks guys,especially the inappropriate guy you don’t even know me so get a life. :-)[/QUOTE]

Hey no problem man…glad to be of service and you can alway count on me to be totally “inappropriate” anytime it’s called for!

Hey Fraq, the kid that took the pilot job, was his last name Gibson by chance?

Nope sorry it wasn’t Gibson.

Lol thanks bro.