Air clutch delay times

What is the normal amount of time it takes for the clutch to engage and disengage with air controls. The type with the bags in the clutch.

I am used to 4-6 seconds but I just talked to someone about one of our old tugs and he said 15-18 seconds!

I don’t know what type of machinery that tug has.

I have seen delays of anywhere from 3-5 seconds up to 17 seconds. A lot depends on the type of control system being used.

12-15 seconds on the few boats I’ve run with air clutches. Really glad I’m past those days now though.

what air systems are these? Ive seen 2 mathers systems and both were under 3 seconds filled from the throttle being in the centered position to engaged in the first detent ahead or astern. Same or less to deflate. Time obviously increases when panic throttling from ahead to astern without stopping in the centered detent. anything over 5 seconds seems like it would seriously burn clutches, anything over 10 seconds doesn’t make sense and sounds like bad info. Youre talking about 20-30 seconds shifting from ahead to astern? Docking would be impossible.

Sounds like an old fishing story to me…

Too many variables for a blanket answer. Gearbox input/output speeds, wheel, shaft brake(?)clutch size, distance from logic valves to controls…

12 second delay here before theres any response. I saw a 3512 boat with a ZF gear that shifted so fast they would stall the boat routinely.

3-5 is pretty common for initial response in my experience. Where I have seen very long and inconsistent responses is on a boat with a hydraulic clutch/ but air controls. But that’s nothing to do with aid.

I’ll find out more next week. Thanks for the replies, it’s had to imagine waiting that long.

there is a difference between clutch delay times and system delay times as well. Mathers systems will dump the brake ( if equipped) and “blip the throttle” before clutch fill begins. Clutch fill itself is a few seconds. So the delay experienced from control head engagement to shaft movement isn’t technically clutch delay as much as an overall delay from 2-3 total functions.

[QUOTE=snacktray;163771]there is a difference between clutch delay times and system delay times as well. Mathers systems will dump the brake ( if equipped) and “blip the throttle” before clutch fill begins. Clutch fill itself is a few seconds. So the delay experienced from control head engagement to shaft movement isn’t technically clutch delay as much as an overall delay from 2-3 total functions.[/QUOTE]

Yep

Also is the clutch a “soft” clutch meaning does it fill in stages or all at once? Is there a shaft brake and if so, how is the interlock timed, this can be made to vary based on vessel speed so you can shift faster when maneuvering. All these events, if not simultaneous, add up. Also if the time delays are worsening it wouldn’t hurt to check for leaks, especially if your compressor is working harder than usual.

Maybe we should bring back “Bell Boats”. Does anyone remember these and does anyone want to admit being old enough to have worked on one? I am and yes I have worked on them.

Mary Whalen, NY Harbor, is a functioning bell boat.

http://portsidenewyork.org/mary-a-whalen-history/

[QUOTE=Tugs;163778]Maybe we should bring back “Bell Boats”. Does anyone remember these and does anyone want to admit being old enough to have worked on one? I am and yes I have worked on them.[/QUOTE]

In the Navy, yes. Answering bells at the throttles was fun.

[QUOTE=catherder;163791]In the Navy, yes. Answering bells at the throttles was fun.[/QUOTE]

What I am referring to is a little different from answering the Telegraph.

There was a large Gong (Bell) and a smaller set of Bells (Jingles). In the Wheel house there was two handles that would be pulled which in turn would create the sound in the E.R. The Engineer would sit by the Throttles and manually control both the speed and direction (Direct Reversible) of the engine. Think Caveman still but it worked for a long time.

Wow, brings back memories of the 80’s and 90’s when I was CE on those old Halter built hulls with 12 cyl EMDs and Faulk gear boxes, air shafts and Dublin valves.

[LEFT]The Clutch Delay Valve (CDV) is a one-way restrictor installed by the factory between the clutch slave cylinder and clutch master cylinder, as shown in Figure 1. It “delays” the engagement of the clutch, much like old record players use a damped tone-arm to gently lower the needle onto the surface of a record.[/LEFT]
Because of this valve, no matter how quickly you lift your foot off the clutch pedal, the clutch engages the flywheel at a constant (slow) rate. In theory, it can save the driveline from shock, were an inexperienced (or immature) driver to dump the clutch. But in practice, all it does is prematurely wear out the clutch and turn experienced drivers into people who, despite years of practice, cannot shift smoothly. During parallel parking maneuvers, the delay can be infuriating, causing constant clutch slippage. And during hard acceleration, the slippage can greatly shorten the life of your clutch. During normal, sedate driving, the shift from first into second gear is often jerky, leading passengers to question your skill. As the driver, you can see your passengers’ heads bobbing back and forth during every shift! Yes, in their minds, they are laughing at you.

[B]Divorce attorney in Rockford IL[/B]

you can check the air exhaust muffler for restriction too if applicable.

We went through the system and got it down to about 4 seconds to engage with a 4 second delay from fwd to rev. At one point it was 20-30 seconds to engage. That sucks when doing a 180 and they are telling you there is six feet over the stern and 12 over the head in 20 kts of wind.

the fuck is this ? How did this spam slip by the pointy stick?

[QUOTE=z-drive;174457]the fuck is this ? How did this spam slip by the pointy stick?[/QUOTE]

hey…if John will pay me to do it, I’ll screen and inspect EVERY post for contraband!

btw, my next post is the BIG KAHUNA for me