Advice for my future?

It IS still possible to get unlimited masters without going to school, especially since the USCG just changed its policy again and eliminated the need to go to useless, expensive classes for 3rd mate level! You will still need to spend plenty of time and money for chief mate level classes but in the meantime you will save at least 4 years and just as much or more money you would have spent going to school.
I hope to heck the USCG gets rid of chief mate level classes too! Waste of time and money! Only good I got out of any of them was the sea stories and meeting the other people there.
I am a hawsepiper and even tho I did go to a 2 year school and I learned a heck of a lot there, (more than I got out of any of the chief mate classes), I would NOT recommend anyone spend 4 years in a maritime school unless they got it for free! Unless they just want the whole “college experience” out of it. Time would be better spent in that case going for a different degree like in engineering!
Cruise ships are all foreign and the pay sucks!

Let me ask you something.
Do you think you can go to work for months at a time when you get married?
What about when you have a child and every time you leave they cry their eye’s out?
What happens if you have a child and they are a special needs, and that requires you to stay home 100%?
What happens if the bottom falls out and for some reason American Mariners can’t find a job? It’s happening right now in the gulf in the oil field, I can’t find a dam thing even as an AB.
What about if god forbid something happens on your watch and the CG decide to pull your ticket?

I’m a hawespiper. I went from deck to 500 ton master in 7 years, and still under 30. Pretty good if you look at all things considered. I still have about 5-10 years before I’m were I want to be professionally, but at least I’m pulling down a good paycheck, most of the time, while I’m working towards my goals. I’m lucky and found a wife that supports me in what I do, and know that when I do have children I can leave for my hitch because I know part of the reason I do this is so I can give them the best, but the rest of those question are constantly in the back of my mind. Also I have played a constant what if game chasing the ever changing requirements to upgrade, and I fell it’s only going to get tougher as time goes on for me to keep moving up the ladder.

Some of us can navigate tows the size of city blocks down a river, Some of us can put 300+ foot work boats into spots that when done you couldn’t fit a Yugo in rough seas, Some of us can navigate around the world with out batting an eye. When We are on watch We are responsible for dozen if not hundred’s of lives and keeping millions of dollars in equipment safe. Ohh also don’t forget that We can be held liable for any environmental incident that could happen. Think Exxon Valdez if you want to get started down that road. So it’s understandable that we get a god complex from time to time, but that’s why you keep a good crew around to remind you that God doesn’t forget to take something out for lunch when it’s his turn to cook, or to turn on the navigation lights.

But none of that means shit when you have to find a job in the real world. All of the above is so out most people’s realm of reality that trying to break down what We actually do would take all day. I might get lucky and be able to talk my way into a low level management position, but most of those want a Bachelors. I do have an Associates in computer networking, but I’m ten years out of the loop and back then the degree qualified me for level one help desk support.

So after all that the point I am making is FOR THE LOVE OF GOD get a bachelors in something! Because if the worst ever happens and you need to come back to shore to find a real job you can.

dont do it,work for yourself… companies have dont give a dam about you or your family.

Geeze…If you can’t find your path in this plethora of advice, you’ll just have to marry well!!

[QUOTE=injunear;54794]Geeze…If you can’t find your path in this plethora of advice, you’ll just have to marry well!![/QUOTE]

And even THAT doesn’s always work. I know from personal experience.

[QUOTE=cmakin;54804]And even THAT doesn’s always work. I know from personal experience.[/QUOTE]
Depends on the meaning of the word “well”!lol!

Not to spoil your dreams but if you are depressed now, just wait until you get on that cruise ship. The Love Boat was only on TV.

[QUOTE=capitan1962;54820]Not to spoil your dreams but if you are depressed now, just wait until you get on that cruise ship. The Love Boat was only on TV.[/QUOTE]

I might work on a different kind of ship but what do you mean? I just want to do what I want to do instead of chasing paper

[QUOTE=southbay;54822]I might work on a different kind of ship but what do you mean? I just want to do what I want to do instead of chasing paper[/QUOTE]
What he means is humans are the worst possible cargo you can haul.

[QUOTE=injunear;54824]What he means is humans are the worst possible cargo you can haul.[/QUOTE]

Never haul a cargo that can talk…

Cargo that complains!! The worst!!

Ah my fine young lad…to be so full of delusions of romance! I was once there too and in order to salute you in your new chosen career path I want to give to you one of my most prized possessions I’ve had since I was a young wannabe. I want you to have my own Captain Merrill Stubing action figure and if you look really carefully you’ll find a little surprise inside the package*

*well, you’ve obviously given up or you’re just lazy but if you look really carefully by the character’s foot, you’ll find a tiny captain’s hat…just how cool it that?!?

DAMN how I miss those old timey Aaron Spelling daze on ABC! The Love Boat and Fantasy Island on the same night back to back…once upon a time in America when TV was GREAT!

[QUOTE=c.captain;54831]DAMN how I miss those old timey Aaron Spelling daze on ABC! The Love Boat and Fantasy Island on the same night back to back…once upon a time in America when TV was GREAT![/QUOTE]

Christ! It just occurred to me that southbay wasn’t even alive when the Love Boat was on and probably has no idea whatsoever who Merrill Stubing even was? Goddamn, how I am turning into an old fart!

[QUOTE=southbay;54822]I might work on a different kind of ship but what do you mean? I just want to do what I want to do instead of chasing paper[/QUOTE]
Being a captain is all about chasing paper.

My advice is get the full academy degree and graduate with a 3rd mate unlimited license. You will need this to work in shipping, especially in the future. Also the fastest way to a master’s ticket. You can work your way up as far as you like. When you are off-watch, take an interest in other areas and learn as much as possible, this knowledge will come in handy if being a captain doesn’t live up to your expectations.