Active Duty Waivers for Merchant Mariner Fees

Long awaited and finally published! MMC fees waived for Active Duty - just submit a letter from your command attesting to your status with your application and you are good.

Saw that. What about prior service :frowning:

The waiver applies to members of the Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine Corps, Space Force, Coast Guard, and the commissioned corps of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration and the Public Health Service.

What about CIVMARS and contracted mariners on MSC? Seems like they are doing the same jobs with less respect.

Read the policy letter:
Applicants that are not eligible to have fees waived include, but are not limited to, the following…Civilian mariners employed on vessels of the U.S. Navy Military Sealift Command, U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, or NOAA

I don’t need to read the policy letter. My question was not IF they are covered, but WHY NOT.

What is the rationale to waive fees for active duty personnel that don’t require an MMC to perform their job, while not waiving fees for those who do require the MMC? I fully support those who serve our country, but who decided that this perk was needed? Why not just pay them more?

Read the policy letter. It identifies the reason for the Executive Order and the Congressional Act (i.e. what the Coast Guard was ordered to do):
…there is a shortage of qualified merchant mariners. It further states that “[a]ttracting additional trained and credentialed mariners, particularly from active duty service members and military veterans, will support United States national security requirements and provide meaningful, well-paying jobs to United States veterans.”

If you already hold an MMC and are working under it, you aren’t in the population Congress and the White House intended to provide a benefit to.

Who decided it was necessary? Read the policy letter. It’s by direction of Congress and the White House.

1 Like

What a load of crap. The only reason that there is a shortage of qualified mariners is that there is a shortage of U.S. flagged ships and therefore a shortage of available jobs for those qualified mariners. Why not cut some slack to all the professional U.S. mariners that either can’t find a job or are working below their licenses? Someone should provide a warning to all active duty personnel considering future employment as a merchant mariner, rather than incentivizing them to get a dubious qualification.

Ain’t Cavo’s fault, he’s answering your question.

1 Like
1 Like

I guess it plays well in Peoria. But if policy makers truly thought our industry needs their assistance, there are so many better ways.