A new sail training vessel abou to be delivered

don’t get me wrong as I am all for this sort of project but where in the name of Jehovah did they get all that money from and how on earth can this ever pencil out?

SSV Oliver Hazard Perry Square Rigger Nears Delivery at Senesco Marine
By Editorial On December 10, 2014

oliver hazard perry tall ship

By Vincent Tavani

Why build a tall ship from scratch at the beginning of the twenty-first century?

A full-rigged, ocean-going ship hasn’t been attempted in the United States since 1904. SSV Oliver Hazard Perry, now in its final stages of construction at Senesco Marine just north of her future homeport of Newport, RI, is exactly that: a 500-ton, three-masted vessel, with square sails on all three masts, the tallest being 130 feet over the water. She takes her name from the Rhode Island-born hero of the Battle of Lake Erie during the War of 1812, whose pivotal victory was achieved beneath a flag emblazed with the words “Don’t Give Up the Ship!”

Though the heyday of the full-rigged ship may be past, the labor-intensive rig is prime training in the character values that will never be made obsolete.

For a sail-powered vessel, navigation as simple as changing direction is entirely contingent on wind direction and force. Doing so demands the coordination and cooperation of each member of the ship’s company. On a Sailing School Vessel like Oliver Hazard Perry, students are all trainees, participating fully in the Sail evolutions – bracing the yards, laying aloft to unfurl or stow, and trimming sail – as well as every other aspect of the ship, as a way of learning responsibility, teamwork, diligence, and good old seamanship. In addition to the hands-on learning in the rig, Oliver Hazard Perry has classroom spaces below deck outfitted with educational technology to allow schools to use her as a mobile campus and take advantage of the seafaring experience while building curriculum.
oliver hazard perry

oliver hazard perry tall ship plans

When not sailing for schools or universities, Oliver Hazard Perry will offer summer adventure programs for teens and traditional seamanship development for adults. In partnership with Ocean Navigator, a celestial navigation course for adults will take place on an autumn voyage to Lunenberg and another on a spring voyage to Bermuda.

Vessel Particulars:

200ft: Largest civilian Sailing School Vessel in the US
7 miles of rope, 160 belaying pins, 20 sails, 14,000 sq ft of sail
Ocean-going full-rigged ship: The first to be built in the US in over 100 years
Sailing School Vessel: Carries no passengers, all who sail aboard are crew and take active roles in sailing the ship safely
Meets and exceeds all USCG and ABS safety requirements for a ship of her size
Provides an opportunity for growth: personally, professionally, academically, physically &  socially – building seamanship skills, teamwork, leadership, stewardship
Accommodates 49 people overnight and 100 for day sails, including 15 professional crew

find me $500k and I will buy and rebuild the JOHN N COBB as an awesome private training vessel.

This is mostly funded by private individuals from Newport, Rhode Island (the yachting capital of the world) with a little help from the state. The head honcho, Richard Bailey, is an excellent sailor with a long and successful track record of running sail training organizations all over the country. If sails and anyone can do it, it’s this man. When the OHP is complete it is going to be one of the foremost sail training institutions in the US and will do immeasurable good for innumerable young people. I look forward to seeing what Captain Bailey can do with this fantastic educational tool.

I saw the OHP hauled out at Newport Shipyard last spring… It is gigantic! The new 500 ton travel lift struggled to lift it… http://www.ohpri.org/news-details/ssv-oliver-hazard-perry-hauled-at-newport-shipyard

Sounds like it had been at senesco FOREVER. Naragansettbay shipping website had some good construction pics as well as the Mcallister and reinauer new builds.

Yeah she was towed to RI from the great lakes probably a little less than 10 years ago so it has been a while