A day in the life of an OSV

What is this VTS you speak of???

They talked about it before but there is too much traffic for VTS.

[QUOTE=kfj;114617]Video entering Fouchon[/QUOTE]

Looks like fun. How does training go? Do you get thrown to the wolves or do you get to train with someone for a little while?

There’s no VTS in Port Fourchon!

Most of the OSV’s are two men on watch so you usually get put with someone, if you don’t just ride as an extra.

Thats good to know. Just how many mates do these boats carry?? A master and 4 mates?

[QUOTE=“rigdvr;114621”]

What is this VTS you speak of???

They talked about it before but there is too much traffic for VTS.[/QUOTE]

I figured as much. I didn’t want to sound like a fool and ask out right. Seems like they would need an air traffic controller on meth to handle that port!

Looks like a slow day to me.

I’d love to tell one of the almighty aforementioned dispatchers that I’d love to kick off his dock as soon as I get clearance from VTS…

[QUOTE=Bayrunner;114632]Thats good to know. Just how many mates do these boats carry?? A master and 4 mates?[/QUOTE]

HAHAHAAH!!! 5 officers in a wheel house!! That’s funny.
Unless you are working for an oil company that requires two DP operators in the wheel house per watch it’s just you and the deck hand or two.

“Mates”, as we know everybody is really a captain out here, are generally expected to run their own 12 hour watch with very little to no help from the other Captain.

[QUOTE=“RubberRhib888;114639”]

I figured as much. I didn’t want to sound like a fool and ask out right. Seems like they would need an air traffic controller on meth to handle that port![/QUOTE]

Fourchon, as I understand, falls under the Port of Morgan City’s area of responsibility. Morgan City was the first VTS in the nation and (I’ve read) is the only one that maintains positive control of all vessels in its area. Which for VTS purposes does not include Fourchon. (?) Yeah, I don’t know how they’d do it - it’s hard enough to get a word in edgewise on 13 a lot of times. There is a great deal of courtesy among the wheelhouse guys down here, for sure.

[QUOTE=“Bayrunner;114622”]

Looks like fun. How does training go? Do you get thrown to the wolves or do you get to train with someone for a little while?[/QUOTE]

Isn’t my video

[QUOTE=“txh2oman;114661”]

Fourchon, as I understand, falls under the Port of Morgan City’s area of responsibility. Morgan City was the first VTS in the nation and (I’ve read) is the only one that maintains positive control of all vessels in its area. Which for VTS purposes does not include Fourchon. (?) Yeah, I don’t know how they’d do it - it’s hard enough to get a word in edgewise on 13 a lot of times. There is a great deal of courtesy among the wheelhouse guys down here, for sure.[/QUOTE]

Just the shear volume of traffic at the consistency it runs is impressive. Up here in NY can certainly get hairy at times. NYC VTS sux most of the time. We could be getting underway from IMTT Bayonne Con Hook and check in with traffic at 0230…no word from them on traffic in the Killz and then…here comes a 900’ container ship rounding the corner with a dickhead pilot on board who didn’t check in. The problem is that some of the dockings and sailings are tide jobs. It sux to have to go outside your slack water window.

IMO, VTS is nothing but a waste of time, resources, money and radio band width that causes nothing but distractions from handling the vessel. I find it more so true since the use of AIS and ECDIS has become so wide spread. I have never seen a benefit beyond the aggravation on vessel crew. Like was said before, half of the time they will tell you all is clear only for you to find out quite the opposite. Just nothing more than more govt control and big brother monitoring.

That’s probably the dumbest thing I’ll read today.

Don’t read much huh?

[QUOTE=“captaint76;114679”]IMO, VTS is nothing but a waste of time, resources, money and radio band width that causes nothing but distractions from handling the vessel. I find it more so true since the use of AIS and ECDIS has become so wide spread. I have never seen a benefit beyond the aggravation on vessel crew. Like was said before, half of the time they will tell you all is clear only for you to find out quite the opposite. Just nothing more than more govt control and big brother monitoring.[/QUOTE]

VTS can be a pain in the ass. However, in some ports of call they are required and justified. New York for example requires that a vessel needing to anchor in one of the few anchorages to request a spot. If one isn’t available they will have you go outside the harbor and drop the hook. It’s a give and take scenario. Sometimes you’ll need to “get in line” for a berth. Thusly requiring you to find an available spot that coincides with your schedule and others schedules as well. I can see VTS not working in Fourchon due to the volume. If vessel operators follow the RoR and be generally courteous with each other it works itself out. Without intending to sound obvious, NY and Fourchon are very different ports. You guys down there are feeding a different machine which requires different SOP’s.

Never ask for a traffic report in Houston unless you have 5 minutes to spare

Hurry up or the rig will be shut in. When you get there with the precious cargo that they can’t live without, they tell you to S/B because they didn’t know you we’re even coming out to begin with.

[QUOTE=“BoatReaper;114721”]Hurry up or the rig will be shut in. When you get there with the precious cargo that they can’t live without, they tell you to S/B because they didn’t know you we’re even coming out to begin with.[/QUOTE]

Thats the truth… they always tell me capt you the crewboat so run this part out fast and get there amd get told standby…

Or sometimes they need a newspaper so you make a special run for that.